Tearing Down Our School

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Our county has 5 Elementary Schools that they are tearing down in order to consolidate to 3. One of the 5 schools being torn down in less than a mile from my house. I went to school there, as did my dad and my grandmother. These used to be local high schools before 1966, when they consolidated the county into 1 high school.

There was a fence along the front end of the yard, and they have taken it down, so I thought I would cruise on over and take a gander. I have thoroughly hunted this site before, as have numerous THers over the last 30 years. With the fence being gone, I can get where most people couldn't get. I went out last night for a little bit, and back this morning...... These coins and items were all fairly deep.... 6-8 inches. None of them gave a clear signal, but I chanced digging, as I do not have to worry about digging up the yard. The depth combined with the fence allowed these items to remain for me to find. I did have to dig over 60 pull tabs....

I also found 1.23 in clad..... several wheaties, a cheap ring and a marble..... this makes me 10 silver coins in hillbillyville USA not to shabby for this area! The one chain is junk... and the other is gold filled

Attachments

• school1.JPG
    school1.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 532
  • school2.JPG
    school2.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 522
Upvote 0

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Good job! Ain't it great when you don't have to worry about the "beautiful lawn?" Keep at it -- there's bound to be more! -Noodle

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Congrats! 8) Keep going back and also check back after a good rain. Marbles and non-metallics tend to show up right after. I know what you mean, sometimes coins will show up in the pulltab range. It could be that other junk is just enough to mask them, but in digging you'll see the coin. Recheck your holes and run as low a disc. as you can handle.

OP
OP
M

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I do not think anything is silver.... the earring is not hallmarked... it was laying on top of the ground after they tore out the shrubs.... I thought it was a paperclip and looked at it like 10 times before I reached over and picked it up.... The other thing is gold filled..... and the junk chanin might have been plated... but nothing remains.... the junk ring I found has no hallmark in it... and was silver or gold plated I think with no stone...

paul1410

Feb 6, 2007
Land of the Cheese Steak
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, White's Spectrum XLT
Thanks for the reply, Randy.

Too bad its all costume jewelry, but I'm sure there is more at the school.

I hope you are able to hunt the site some more before the real demolition starts.

Good luck.

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
Nice finds Minton... Hopefully there are many more in that fence line...

HH Robert

OP
OP
M

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I forgot to add what is the best part to me... the Amish are tearing out fixtures and the like... and one of them told me I could hunt his house on Fri... it was built in 1836.... there are supossedly half dollars there that the owners in the early 1900's lost..... and then the guy that was driving the Amish asked me if I could help him find a buried treasure... evidently when he was a kid he buried a wooden box full of coins in his back yard..... he knows right about where it is, and is going to ask the current owners if we can hunt the yard.... he says that if I can find it... I get half... he claims that there are large cents, half dimes, some silver..... and other coins in the box.... we will see if that part pans out.... but I am definately hunting the amish guy's house on fri.... I will post the results... and will keep hunting the school every chance I get until they run me out

R

RUDY2003

Nice finds Randy!
You know there's more there right?
Excellent luck on the future diggs and buried treasure...
Keep us informed....

Keep safe and keep diggin'...

M-Squared

Mar 4, 2007
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum XLT & Bullseye II Probe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. Keep us posted on the latest developments. We are standing by glued to our monitors.. Hehehe!

HH from MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread