My metal detector just paid for itself...

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By finding my phone! Long story short - I went to my friends farm yesterday to enjoy a beautiful February day in the country. When it got dark us guys decided to hit a nearby mud hole with the ATVs and UTVs. The one I was riding in got stuck in the mud. After a few minutes we got it out and that's when I noticed my phone was gone. There was no way we were going to find it at night with only the headlights to see. I know it was somewhere in this foot deep slurry of mud that had been run through a bunch of times with the vehicles. So we went back to the house and I picked up my metal detector, you know, because I always have it with me lol. It only took a few minutes to find it wrist deep in the mud. It was a mess but the screen was still lit! After about 30 minutes of cleaning and putting it in a bag of rice overnight everything works great.

Sadly I don't have pictures before cleaning, well because I would have to use the phone to do that. I had faith my metal detector would find it and I might have made a believer out of the other guys there that metal detectors aren't just for finding jewelry and coins. Happy hunting everyone!

Last edited:
Upvote 16

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you found your phone and got your metal detector paid for. :laughing7:
When I find cell phones at the beach (good new ones)....... I wait for them to ring.
I tell the person on the other end (usually a man/guy)...... "I figured you'd be calling". :laughing7:

I tell 'em, "I metal detect and yeah I found your phone. BUT,
I'm holding it for a millio.......no no......... a billion......no, a GAZILLION dollars ranson!
You better set up a meeting location, before the battery dies!" :BangHead: :laughing7:

We laugh, and I do remind them, yeah I would appreciate some lunch and gas money.
I've had to find the Mr's cell phone, from night before, in the neighbors bushes.........
yeah, don't ask...... :BangHead: :laughing7:

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear Ya on that one, we had to find our truck license plate in a snow bank last year...using my detector! :D

Detectors are just an extension of our arms anyway.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These days phones are as much or more than some detetors

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember a time when there was no such thing as a
Cell Phone. When I'm metal detecting on land and the phone rings,
I usually won't answer it. I metal detect in the water at some of the local beaches. I level my phone home when I go to the beach.
Over the past 3 seasons, I have recovered five phones from 3 to 4 feet of water. What is so important that you have to take your phone with you into the water??
I'm glad you found your phone. Mine has a $600. price tag.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have mine on me for safety reasons, it's a cheap phone anyway.

OP
OP
T

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My phone was also north of $600 so it's around the same price as the AT Pro that found it. I carry it with me anytime I'm out but I don't take calls. Too busy listening to tones in my headphones [emoji3]. It is nice to have on hand to take pics of finds fresh out of the ground.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you found your phone in usable condition!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions