Back to "coin hill" More like GOLD hill!!!

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
Back to "coin hill" More like GOLD hill!!!

I went back to where i found my Gold 1/4 Dollar saturday..... I did not find alot today only 2 fired 3 ringers...Both very small.... And a Gold Pin with 5 Stones in it....Anyone have any ideas about this pin? What kind of stones and what is the shape? OH BTW... I am in love with my new Troy Shadow!!!

6f9124j.jpg

6cy6ss8.jpg

4xzxgfn.jpg

6g1ruyo.jpg

4osjccx.jpg

Upvote 0

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: Back to "coin hill" More like GOLD hill!!!

That looks like a musical symbol to me.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Cool dig... looks like the stand a music teacher or the orchestra leader puts their music sheets on. Awesome place to hunt, nice old finds, congrats!

Smiles!
BDoo

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

the shape is like a Lyre, which is an older sister of the harp. Personally I think it just happens to be shaped like that though. I don't think that's significant. But what do I know... just looks like a brooch to me. Still cool. Nice finds!

OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used

captain Jack said:
the shape is like a Lyre, which is an older sister of the harp. Personally I think it just happens to be shaped like that though. I don't think that's significant. But what do I know... just looks like a brooch to me. Still cool. Nice finds!
It is hard to tell in the pics but the thing in the middle is a braided wire...It goes through the middle...It is not the pin from the back .... I will post better pics tomorrow though...

Yea i wish i had the oppertunity to hunt this place as a virgin site...Not a beat to death site by my father and his pals....They found so many coins on this land it would make you sick...I damn near puked when i saw some of them...It kinda makes your head hurt also...I only hope they missed just one seated or bust coin......I keep finding these silly Indians and Shield nickels...Not that im complaining. This site i found out today is 11 acres.

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

be happy, I haven't even found WWII era coins yet. How the heck do people lose so many coins in one spot? especially when people had les money back then so the coins were more valuable to them. Seems wierd to me that everyone finds so many coins everywhere.

If that is a braided wire and not the pin, maybe it is supposed to be a Lyre or a music staff....or a harp. could also be some kind of shield?? nice find any way about it. My wife would yank it fast if I found it. :) nice diggin!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on your finds. Love the pin!
-MM-

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

I got bored and did a search for harps staffs and lyre brooches and the lyre was the closest in shape anyway. here's a pic. your's looks nicer though. I think the braided wire just reps the strings.

Attachments

• beth_coro_lyre.jpg
    beth_coro_lyre.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 593
OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used

captain Jack said:
I got bored and did a search for harps staffs and lyre brooches and the lyre was the closest in shape anyway. here's a pic. your's looks nicer though. I think the braided wire just reps the strings.

That is great...Thanks alot It does look alot like mine...I wonder what those pinkish stones are...I will have to have it looked at to find out for sure.

checkmate

Jun 6, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace 100

Very interesting find, looks like an old brooch. I often wondered that too. If you lost a dime back in the 1930s that would be like losing $3.00 today.

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado

OutRaged; what have you got to be angry about? :)

Great story, great finds! Love that golden brooch!

GRB

Nickel_Buff1935

Jun 1, 2007
NY
Detector(s) used
MINELAB X-Terra 50 & WHITE'S MXT

Very nice find!

It seems that you know the good spots ;D

I'm itching to find some jewelery myself...

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Stones look like Amethyst possibly?

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland

That's a nice antique broach. It is vintage too, what's the hallmark? The stones are garnets? There are a lot of harp broaches around my part of the world, its the symbol for Ireland, but they're differnt than that. I think the lyre/musical symbol is spot on. Nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread