[BANNER] What a day...some unique finds including 1600s to civil war (confederate brass!) - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: What a day...some unique finds including 1600s to civil war (confederate brass!)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Dan - Great finds. Nice ID on the brass cover for the patch box. I had never seen such an ID before on T-Net.
    got Mass Silver?

us
    Feb 2014
    Lowcountry, South Carolina
    CTX-3030, Deus XP HF Round/Elliptical, White's TRX Pinpointer
    5143 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)
    A little late to the party Dan, but man those cuff links are incredible. The jeweled button is not to shabby either. Glad the hard work paid off
    2019 Best Coins

-1695 William III Halfpenny
    -1722 Rosa Americana

2019 Best Relics

-SC 3rd Regiment of Rangers Button
    -3rd American Regiment Button (NY Volunteers)
    -1st Regiment of Infantry Cuff (1808)
    -Infantry Script I Coat
    -Infantry Script I Cuffs
    -1812 US Coat
    -1812 US Cuff
    -Colonial Pewter Ingot
    -Hotchkiss Lead Sabot
    -Southern #8 Hat Badge
    -Federal GS Eagle buttons

us
    Mrs.

Dec 2014
    Frederick, MD
    Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
    296 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    What a great bunch of finds. I am so jelly

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    14770 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	1281154
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    20752 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Is there any place in Virginia, that the Civil War did not touch
    That is a really nice haul if history.
    Congrats
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    Chris

Nov 2014
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil. also, still have a Fisher F2
    634 times
    Relic Hunting
    What a great bunch of finds. The cufflinks are my favorite too. It's funny how many chinese coins pop up, old ones too. The stock plate is really neat.
    I still haven't found any weights yet. so I think they're great too. Nice to have all that land to hunt! WTG!

Charter Member
    us
    Sorry Honey, I can’t. I’ve got plans with my metal detector.

Nov 2013
    Mountain Maryland
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
    14125 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Outstanding hunt...all of it!
    EVERY COIN, SILVERS, AND TOKENS FOUND IN FLORIDA I SOLD...STARTING FRESH IN MARYLAND

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    6318 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeGuardDan View Post
    On thursday evening I finally got an in at a site that I have been hoping to get on for quite some time now. Confirmed on Friday and provided literally the keys to the gates and on Saturday Bill D and I ran out to check it out. First though I have a little catch up. The previous weekend, I managed to get out for a short and snowy return visit to the site that let Bill and I down a few weeks ago. I spent 4 or 5 hours walking some new and old fields and while I managed a hand full of buttons and another 1736-1795 Kao Tsung (Ch'ien-Lung Dynasty) Chinese coin it was lack luster. This is another 1700's Chinese coin and joins the family of several that came from an adjacent farm. That and a tudor rose cufflink seemed to be the better of the finds. I am confident a decent find will come from this site, but not the quantity I had hoped.

On to yesterday, this site was historically rich from the 1600-1700s. However, there also was quite a bit civil war activity which means that I felt it had likely seen diggers before, most likely night vultures. Sadly, it seemed to be the case as while Bill and I found a decent amount, you could easily tell that it had been dug heavily over the years. This was a 300+ acre site, so we had our work cut out to cover as much of it as possible. We started out checking some likely colonial sites and while we saw signs of a dwelling that once existed, the finds were few and far. I managed to dig a nice set of 1700's mourning urn cufflinks and a couple of other buttons from the site. We then decided to take a long walk into the lower fields which did produce a nice early buckle and a surprise pocket civil war bullets. Sadly the other house site that I knew was on or near the property border seemed to be just across the lane on another property (to be continued...).

After a long walk we headed back to where we started. We decided to head back to the truck for lunch and I picked a high knoll that had some brick and lots of modern and old trash mixed in that we walked through earlier in the morning. Once ascending the hill I dug a neat little target that looked like a coin or token. After getting home it was truly a unique find as it was kind of a both. This is a dated 1847 W & T Avery apothecary weight (2 scrupel) and certainly something that I did not know existed. Literally 5 feet later I hit another nice tone, and I half expected it to be another civil war bullet or perhaps coin. Out popped a big two piece button and to my surprise it was a North Carolina state seal confederate button!

After lunch we took a long stroll and checked on a few sites before ending back up where we first started during the morning. Surprisingly, the finds picked up as I began to dig buttons, buckles and other odds and ends (including a nice glass inset button). Two civil war artillery friction primers (the brass tubes) also surfaced, both being fired which was unique as the site did not see fighting.

At the end of the day I decided to walk back to where the NC button came from when I received a nice deep but high and large tone. I did not expect it to be much more than big brass farm equipment when to my surprise out popped the Brass patch stock case cover to a model 1841 musket (Whitney, Harpers Ferry). These were fairly common muskets used by confederate troops and due to its proximity to the NC button and presence of bullets and friction primers, I feel confident it was war used. I also feel confident the rest of the gun is mixed in somewhere as the entire piece is intact and this would have been affixed to the musket stock.

I did find some proof to show those individuals who call every brass screw a frizzen pan or jaw screw from flint lock muskets. I have long debated that these are actually furniture parts and surely this proof shows that as it is A. still attached to the furniture plate and B. attached by a screwed washer.

My total finds for the day include 12 buttons, the token/weight, gun part and other odds and ends (bridle chain, large portion to early bell, etc.). While this site too will not provide the quantity of relics I had hoped, it will by all expectations, produce a few really good finds.

HH

Dan
    I can not believe I missed your post , (to busy ranting & TMI I Guess).

Super nice finds & a Great assortment of them .

Congratz on the Banner.
    Davers
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

us
    Mar 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    XP Deus, Equinox (coming!), Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics G2, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
    782 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    Wow!! Nice finds Dan! You always kill em!!

So many old sites to hunt....so little time.

Aug 2007
    Upstate NY
    Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
    2183 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Looks like you were pretty busy digging. Your display stump is chock full 'O artifacts. Great hunt!
    Best Finds:

1786 Vermont Landscape Copper (Ryder 7 variety)
    1787 Vermont Copper
    1787 New Jersey Copper (Maris 63 variety)
    1797 and 1804 DBLCs
    George Washington Inaugural Button (GW 1 type)
    1872 Indian Head Cent (VF/EF condition)
    1866 Indian Head Cent (EF condition)
    1864 "L" Indian Head Cent
    Hard Times Tokens---2
    1840 Gen. Harrison Campaign Token
    1832 Nova Scotia Halfpenny Token
    Two cent pieces---7
    1721 King George I
    1732 King George II
    Barber Half dollars---3
    War Of 1812 Shoulder Belt Plate

ca
    Detect everyday like it's the last day of the season!

Apr 2010
    Upper Canada (Southern Ontario)
    XP Deus 5.2 Lesche - Piranha 35 Shovel 'Garrett Carrot' AT - Pointer
    6210 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Dan, I'm just blown away by your finds man!

What an amazing hunt and post, congrats on making BANNER #3 my friend!

Dave
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    ― John Wayne

us
    Dec 2006
    Colonial Virginia
    XP Deus Teknetics T2
    1387 times
    Banner Finds (2)

What a day...some unique finds including 1600's to civil war (confederate bra...

Congrats Dan! I personally think you should have more banners by now especially your water finds!!

us
    Dec 2015
    Western NC
    Garrett AT PRO, and my ancient Whites Coinmaster
    41 times
    Totally terrific! I have to say Virginia is a great hunting place! You have some great finds--Congrats!

us
    Nov 2013
    NY
    Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
    1466 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Very cool finds
    Instagram: @surroundedbywild

God Bless

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New