milk glass

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this little cold cream container and finally decided to look into them a little more than before. Usually I find broken bits and not often enough finding intact pieces. was surprised at the information I found because it stated that earlier milk glass would be indicative of being hand blown, as evidenced by swirls of colorless. Most that I find are pretty uniform in whiteness but this one is nearly opaque on its base. To the point that you can read a paragraph in a book if the container is placed over it. According to what I know, milk glass such as this was produced for cosmetics and toiletries from the 1870s through the 1920s and Cream jars from 1890ish onward. So I don't know what to think about this one, as it now has gotten more complicated than I previously thought. I always assumed that these cold cream type containers were normally associated with 1900 time period in most cases. Now I don't know if this was cold cream or a toiletry or a cosmetic...go figure. We never quit learning do we. Your thought are always welcome.Thanks vn

DSC00009.JPG DSC00012.JPG DSC00024.JPG DSC00025.JPG

Upvote 5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread