Just returned from TEXAS - Republic Of Texas buttons X2, Dragoon, Aritillery, & MORE!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just returned from TEXAS - Republic Of Texas buttons X2, Dragoon, Aritillery, & MORE!

Last week I made my semi-annual trip to Texas to catch up with old friends and do a little relic hunting. Wednesday we spent about 6 hours at a 1850s military post in West Texas. I have been to this spot an number of times before and it never disappoints, although it has been hunted for 40 years. This time the conditions were pretty tough. The grass was high and it has been hunted a lot in the last couple years. I did pretty well with 17 bullets, 11 buttons, a few other odds and ends, and a strange eagle on a ball device that we couldn’t find in any books. My friends didn’t do so well, in fact my one buddy said it was the first time in 40 years that he didn’t find a marked button at this camp.

Saturday we went to a Republic of Texas fort site in central Texas. Four of my friends actually purchased the property about 12 years ago just to relic hunt it. These are the guys I cut my relic hunting teeth with back in 1991-1992 when I still lived in Texas and was just getting into relic hunting. I mentioned that I would like to try and find a Republic of Texas button since I had never found one. I was told that I had a chance at this site, although it was a very slim chance since this site had also been hunted hard over the years. I drove down with two of the “shareholders” and we spent three hours on this site. I wandered off into some woods thinking the ground would be softer and woods are harder to grid and clean out. It paid off for me with two Republic of Texas Infantry buttons. Other than that, I only found a couple fired musket balls. The other guys didn’t get any buttons but they were happy for me.

Here are my finds from Day 1 uncleaned. A lot of the buttons have baked on layer of dirt that hides the detail.

Day 1 dirty.JPG

Here are my two Texas buttons from Day 2 uncleaned
IMG_20160227_151443673.jpg

Here is my take from the two days minus a few rivits and Henry casings
All Clean.JPG

Republic of Texas Infantry buttons cleaned. The both have pushes, but I am happy to cross them off the bucket list. These buttons are very rare since the Republic of Texas had a very small army. :headbang:
Texas.JPG

Dragoon button had a nice slick patina and didn't require anything except toothbrush and toothpick.
Dragoon2.JPG

Cuff Artillery. I used hot peroxide, then a distilled water and baking soda paste to rub through the baked on dirt and expose the detail.
Artillery.JPG

Could use a little help with this bird. It is cast brass and appears to be an eagle on a globe or a bomb. We couldn't find it in the insignia book.
Bird front.JPG

Back of the eagle device. There is a raised boss where and attachment pin or hook had been.
Bird back.JPG

US Greatcoat button aka US Wreath. This one had some stubborn dirt stuck to it like cement. Still needs some work.
US Wreath.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 35

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great that you got the Texas buttons, I know they are a desired find! Any D button is a good find also, cannot help you on the Eagle on a possible globe, although it seems familiar. Don

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice group of finds! Really like those military buttons, especially that Republic of Texas! Big congrats!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! What a productive trip! I'm happy for you that you found your Republic of Texas buttons. But, the thing I like the most is that dragoon button!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another successful road trip!

Don't the marines have something to do with the eagle & globe combination? :icon_scratch:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some nice old military relics

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yours probably is a stickpin
View attachment 1280467
Well that sure looks like it. It was found at an 1850s military site with very little modern trash, but I suppose it could be late 19th century as there was cattle raised on the site.
Disappointing that it isn't military ???

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent digs Steve-glad you could get that elusive button. Especially back where you cut your teeth.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratz! What a productive trip! I'm happy for you that you found your Republic of Texas buttons. But, the thing I like the most is that dragoon button!
Lots of Dragoon and Rifleman's buttons have come out of this site. Would like to have found a Rifleman's this trip (I already have two from here), but I was happy with the Dragoon

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should of said appropriate post for today, as today is Texas independence day

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds