πŸ₯‡ BANNER Paid for the new detector on the first day!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excited enough I need a tranquilizer. I just got a new to me but used Tesoro Tejon. It was priced right so I said what the heck. I went to my new permission and figured out which end to blow on, har har har. Anyway, it's a Civil War 1864 site in Virginia. Switched loops, put the big loop on it and started beating bushes. Wasn't getting much, I mean like NO signals. So By the end of the day I had tried several different strategies. First was just wander around in the woods. Got a couple pieces of iron from ration cans and some nails. This time I did NOT trip over the wire fence.

Second strategy was to do some "tree and sticker bush bumping". The English translation is to go real close to all the trees with the loop and same thing for briars (go right through them), and see if anyone there previously left anything. Well, got some more iron and half a horseshoe.

Third strategy was to explore this here rock pile. Got a couple iffy signals. Dug down a few inches and about 8 inches down picked up a layer of ash! Fire pit! Nails, a kepi buckle in brass, melted lead, a very pretty small porcelain button, an iron underwear button, most of a bullseye canteen in parts and FIVE eagle buttons in perfect condition with shanks. Well, that made my day. It was getting a little late, so I carefully filled in the hole and started "tree bumping again". Got a very nice nearly complete CW flat tin can, whoopee. I haven't gotten everything out of the bucket yet.

But then.....headed back to the truck. Got a signal right next to the road (it's a private gravel road) and pulled out my FIRST (and probably only and last) CSA plate. It's very much like the one posted here a few weeks ago. Has the same kind of weird hooks on the back-at least weird to me. Looks like a Virginia Arsenal and looks most like Mullinax's #108. I now have a massive stress headache. Too much excitement.

Three plates in 2016! Who would have thought it! (Also found what may be a small meteorite, but I have to check it out.) Got so excited I left it in the truck. Sorry about the pics, haven't had time to wash anything up yet. Took the pieces to a well known Virginia CW dealer to look at and he advised me not to wash the buttons, but when they were totally dry to flick the dirt off with my fingernail. HE said that way the eagles and shield would stand out much better. I told him I was going to clean the buckle, looks like a rich green patina under the red dirt, but he suggested not touching it at all. IMG_0569.JPG IMG_0567.JPG As you can see I was wiping the high spots on the plate. The color in the photo is a little off, it's a little too bright. Took it with the cell phone. Need a tranquilizer.

Upvote 97

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Most excellent find!

Several adult beverages might be in order as well...

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If only I could....they get me sick.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Some awesome history there. WOW.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At a hunted out camp no less. Dig holes everywhere. (I cover mine, and I covered and HID the rock pile!)

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o ah um yeah holy cow. Banner! Congratulations smokey! You wouldn't get offended if I called you a lucky dog would you:laughing7: Holy smokes man. Yeah some buttons you wanna leave a little dirt on.Way to go man!!!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gorgeous look! Don't do anything else! It's perfect and I am about to die of jealousy. BANNER, BANNER, BANNER!!

(Oh, and I am a Tejon guy, too)

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh wow, you made some dynamite saves! Nice persistence. Enjoy that trophy...

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At a hunted out camp no less. Dig holes everywhere. (I cover mine, and I covered and HID the rock pile!)
anyone that doesn't kick dirt back in their holes deserve's to miss a piece like that. I am still in aww over this one, beautiful piece smokey!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like ya need to take some sandpaper to that Buckle.
Kind of rusty :unhappysmiley:

Nice Finds Smokey !

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Change your title to "CSA Plate." I think more people will click . . . IMO

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find!!! Did you get yourself cleaned up and changed?[emoji13] I take an extra pair just for days like that. Lol
Congrats Bud, that's a hunt you won't soon forget[emoji106] [emoji482]

HH, Relic Nut

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Big congratulations. That is one of the top plates to dig in my opinion. Voting banner now. Post a pic of the back of the plate so we can see the hooks.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not rusty it's that awful red Virginia clay dirt from hell. The buttons have the greyer dirt due to the ash.

Took my blood pressure. Think I need to retire from detecting on this one. Probably won't though. First gold coin, when was it? early 2013, second one last year, 3 pieces of gold at the beach last fall.
Jan 1 2016, 2 and 3 produced a breast badge, NY button w gold and "Christmas spur". I should go throw up now....Way too much excitement.

I was actually looking to try to find one of these to buy, good thing I didn't do that!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, the back. Duh. Here it is. The hooks have the weird (to me) little upward tilt at the end and are really worn on the "tips". Two are pushed pretty closed to the back of the buckle, the one that would have grabbed the belt is "higher" off the back of the plate. IMG_0571.JPG

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how do I get unexcited? Got a blasted headache now!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kicking butt with a fantastic detector! Big Congrats. BTW the Tejon is hell on wheels with the 5.75 concentric search coil at real trashy sites.

tabman

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
relic nut, were you watching? For a minute I though is this live or is it Memorex?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions