sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I had planned on hitting the Peaches to Beaches Yardsale yesterday, but when he was still in bed at 8, I had to get out and decided to hit the Methodist church across the street. They gave me permission over a year ago, but not a whole lot had turned up. One of the big oaks on the property had a huge limb fall a few months back, and knowing that the small, aging membership didn't have the money or manpower to handle it, I spent one morning cutting it up and piling it at the street for pick up. They seemed to really appreciate it and it makes you enjoy your hunts more when you're giving a little back.

Anyhoo, I decided to try a different mode on the T2 this time so I could swing a little slower, because there's a lot of trash in the ground, and even with a 5 inch coil, it's really hard to pick out the signals. I worked my way over to the edge of the flowerbed and got a solid 56 right smack dab in the middle of a fire ant bed. It's been plenty warm this week, with stuff blooming a good month early, so I knew what was in store soon as I stuck the old GatorDigger in the dirt. Even a little fire ant ain't scared of no alligator! I tried to work fast, took out a quick plug, rescanned to find it was still in the hole, they're swarming out, pinpointed right quick, took another scoop, and there it was. I knocked everything off and got the hell out of that spot, and surprisingly without the first bite. One thing good about ant beds, at least the dirt's soft.

buffalo1.JPG buffalo.JPG

Upvote 8

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You were luckier than me...
image.jpeg

Congrats on not getting stung!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a buffalo is extremely satisfying. I would rather find a buf than a silver rosie.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the Buff and the no bites. My wife and I visited friends in Florida a few years ago. Being from N.Y. we had no clue about fire ants. We just happened to park on their nest. On the way home we turned on the air, and guess what blew out of the ducts. A painful trip home, and no idea how they got into the duct work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions