Gold Ring, Silver Coins, Rare Tokens & Indian

JD's Variety Channel

Dec 27, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Probe & Teknetics T2 Special
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a great hunt with my buddy Jerry at some 1930-1950's houses! I apologize for not having pics of the gold ring since it's his find, but I do show it in the video if you choose to watch. If anyone can find any information on the tokens please let me know. I know the $1.00 trade token is rare considering it's a from a very small, historic town close to me. I can't find any known examples of either token. The Indian was in the hole with a 1920 wheat. :)

DSC_0875.JPG
DSC_0876.JPG
DSC_0864.JPG
DSC_0865.JPG
DSC_0867.JPG
DSC_0868.JPG
DSC_0866.JPG
DSC_0871.JPG
DSC_0869.JPG

Upvote 14

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! What an excellent hunt! I love the tokens and the patina on the IHP looks great!

OP
OP
JD's Variety Channel

JD's Variety Channel

Dec 27, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratz! What an excellent hunt! I love the tokens and the patina on the IHP looks great!

Thanks! I don't find many indians down here so I was very happy to find one from the 1800's. :) The tokens made my day though!

OP
OP
JD's Variety Channel

JD's Variety Channel

Dec 27, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks! Except the other side of the milk token is corroded. It says the same thing on both sides. So at least one side is preserved. LOL. :)

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both those tokens are great. Awesome hunt!

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds you made!!! My Uncle used to live on the lake off Turkey Creek Drive in Concord...West Knoxville area. I'm from Oak Ridge, Tn. but currently living in NC. I hunted the Knoxville area for many years, especially the TVA lakes back when you could. Good luck to you in your future hunts.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! The Elmore's Milk token is listed in Copeland's Trade Tokens of TN as being from Knoxville. 1920 City Directory shows it at 107 Lanier St. I'll be looking for info on the Concord one.
John in the Great 208

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
1900 Census for the 10th District of Knox County, TN shows Robert E. Boring as a dry goods merchant. Boarding with his family is a Clarence Smith who is also shown as a dry goods merchant.

The 1905 Knoxville City Directory shows Robert E. Boring as residing in Concord but his occupation is manager of an insurance company in Knoxville.

Robert Edgar Boring (1871-1944) had four brothers, three of whom lived to adulthood and might be included in the Boring Bros. They are Nathaniel Taylor (1874-1952), Fleming Hartsell (1875-1918), and Frank Lee (1877-1947).

The 1910 Census shows Nathaniel as farming in Blount County, south of Knoxville. The other brothers are living and working on their parents farm near Concord.

So I suspect that Clarence Smith and Robert Boring were the main players in this store and the other Boring brothers were not really partners but probably did work in the store at times.

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
JD's Variety Channel

JD's Variety Channel

Dec 27, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds you made!!! My Uncle used to live on the lake off Turkey Creek Drive in Concord...West Knoxville area. I'm from Oak Ridge, Tn. but currently living in NC. I hunted the Knoxville area for many years, especially the TVA lakes back when you could. Good luck to you in your future hunts.

Cool. And yeah, I wish you could hunt TVA. I never have. I'm only been living in TN for a few years. Are you in western NC? I've hunted in Asheville before. :)

OP
OP
JD's Variety Channel

JD's Variety Channel

Dec 27, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1900 Census for the 10th District of Knox County, TN shows Robert E. Boring as a dry goods merchant. Boarding with his family is a Clarence Smith who is also shown as a dry goods merchant.

The 1905 Knoxville City Directory shows Robert E. Boring as residing in Concord but his occupation is manager of an insurance company in Knoxville.

Robert Edgar Boring (1871-1944) had four brothers, three of whom lived to adulthood and might be included in the Boring Bros. They are Nathaniel Taylor (1874-1952), Fleming Hartsell (1875-1918), and Frank Lee (1877-1947).

The 1910 Census shows Nathaniel as farming in Blount County, south of Knoxville. The other brothers are living and working on their parents farm near Concord.

So I suspect that Clarence Smith and Robert Boring were the main players in this store and the other Boring brothers were not really partners but probably did work in the store at times.

John in the Great 208

Thank-you very much for all the great info! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread