VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Doug (Dman) , my high school classmate Jerry, and I scouted a 50 acre farm on the Cumberland River for Colonial and Civil War sites yesterday. The WW2 U.S. Army maneuver units must have had a big firefight there with the large number of 30-06 blanks in the ground while they trained to go to the European theater of battle. I dug a pocketknife that had “USA” engraved on the brass center emblem. A local knife dealer told me it was a TL-29 model with bail issued to Army Soldiers and several companies including Case manufactured them. Not a banner find but anything from America’s greatest generation becomes more special with time & I have started to put them in a display box as shown. HH, Q.

Correction-Gunsil says it's an issue utility knife instead of a knife with tool (TL) and he collects knives. In all fairness to our local knife dealer, he identified it by my description..

Attachments

• DSCN1935.JPG
    DSCN1935.JPG
    289.9 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN1937.JPG
    DSCN1937.JPG
    595.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Upvote 11

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually it is not a TL-29 which was a wood handled two blade knife with one blade being a screwdriver/wire stripper blade. TL was short for "tool, lineman". Your knife was an issue "utility" knife, most were made by Camillus and Imperial. Case made fixed blade knives for the armed forces in WW2 but I am unaware of them making any issue pocket knives, and definitely not the utility model. You sure are finding some cool relics!! P.S. google TL 29 knife and you will see what they look like compared to your find. I collect, sell and trade knives and parted with a mint condition one like yours a few weeks back, I think I may have one or two left in good condition.

Last edited:

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
That's pretty cool Quindy. I've never found one exactly like that. I like it.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great personal find! Congrats!

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually it is not a TL-29 which was a wood handled two blade knife with one blade being a screwdriver/wire stripper blade. TL was short for "tool, lineman". Your knife was an issue "utility" knife, most were made by Camillus and Imperial. Case made fixed blade knives for the armed forces in WW2 but I am unaware of them making any issue pocket knives, and definitely not the utility model. You sure are finding some cool relics!! P.S. google TL 29 knife and you will see what they look like compared to your find. I collect, sell and trade knives and parted with a mint condition one like yours a few weeks back, I think I may have one or two left in good condition.

Thanks Gunsil. I appreciate your expertise. How did the soldiers obtain a utility knife? The TL knives on Ebay had smooth handles that I saw. Thanks, Q.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great save Mr. Q. I like your appreciation for all relics.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt with some really good finds! Love the knife and machine gun medal.

:)
Breezie

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice hunt. That looks like a cool place to hunt. Congrats

HH, Relic Nut

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice Quindy! love it all!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice pile of relics there buddy good to see you guys out there moving dirt:icon_thumleft:

~Blaze

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice period finds.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gunsil. I appreciate your expertise. How did the soldiers obtain a utility knife? The TL knives on Ebay had smooth handles that I saw. Thanks, Q.

Some infantry troops were issued the utility knives. TL-29s were issued to the signal corps, and knives similar to yours but with a round shield that said USMC were issued to marines. A smaller utility knife by Ulster which has a small phillips screwdriver were issued to the 10th mountain division and some FSSF troops. There were also bone handled utility knives available in PX store on bases. Late in WW2 the all metal utility knife similar to those in use by the army today were introduced for the marines.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Q
It is all in the history. Here at Chickamauga we had troops from war world I doing maneuvers right where the battles were fought. We hunt adjoining farms and may find civil war then Spanish American and War World I on the same site. To me it is all history saved from ancient artifacts forward.
I enjoy your hunts. I am doing one Sat hopefully we are as successful as you!
HH

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some infantry troops were issued the utility knives. TL-29s were issued to the signal corps, and knives similar to yours but with a round shield that said USMC were issued to marines. A smaller utility knife by Ulster which has a small phillips screwdriver were issued to the 10th mountain division and some FSSF troops. There were also bone handled utility knives available in PX store on bases. Late in WW2 the all metal utility knife similar to those in use by the army today were introduced for the marines.[/QUOTE

I was issued a TL-29 in 1964, in West Germany, I was a RTO in the 505th Airborne.
Marvin

And this one in NAM. I still have it.:icon_thumright:
591837_ts.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some infantry troops were issued the utility knives. TL-29s were issued to the signal corps, and knives similar to yours but with a round shield that said USMC were issued to marines. A smaller utility knife by Ulster which has a small phillips screwdriver were issued to the 10th mountain division and some FSSF troops. There were also bone handled utility knives available in PX store on bases. Late in WW2 the all metal utility knife similar to those in use by the army today were introduced for the marines.[/QUOTE

I was issued a TL-29 in 1964, in West Germany, I was a RTO in the 505th Airborne.
Marvin

And this one in NAM. I still have it.:icon_thumright:
591837_ts.jpg
Thank you for your service to our country during a period of history where brave American men were not treated well when they returned home. With every WW@ 30-06 brass casing I dig, I wonder if the soldier who fired it in training ever made it home. HH, Q.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Q. I'm starting to appreciate the WWII stuff more and more as time goes on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread