New Canaan, CT place built in 1735 up for DEMO!

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
Folks, I'm nowhere close to New Canaan, CT but heard about what might be a "golden" opportunity to hunt a property that seriously dates back. Someone here might even want to purchase the old house that the owner wants to demo. Here's the link.

Owner / builder applies to demolish 1735 house | New Canaan Advertiser

I hope someone can talk to the owner and work a deal to recover some of the artifacts that are probably hiding on the property :)

Upvote 1

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I see kg's and large cents all over that property :occasion14:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Back in the 50s and 60s we lived about a mile from that house (on Fox Run Road). No doubt the grounds would be a prime MD area if not already searched. The stone fences that still surround many of the homes were placed there by the first settlers who cleared the land for planting.
New Canaan was first called Canaan Parish (in 1731). If this home is really from 1735, it is one of the first built--and one of, if not the last to stand, from that decade. The town wasn't incorporated until 1801; meanwhile the residents were actually living within the town boundaries of either Norwalk or Stamford.
Don......

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the 50s and 60s we lived about a mile from that house (on Fox Run Road). No doubt the grounds would be a prime MD area if not already searched. The stone fences that still surround many of the homes were placed there by the first settlers who cleared the land for planting.
New Canaan was first called Canaan Parish (in 1731). If this home is really from 1735, it is one of the first built--and one of, if not the last to stand, from that decade. The town wasn't incorporated until 1801; meanwhile the residents were actually living within the town boundaries of either Norwalk or Stamford.
Don......

Cool story Don my question would be do you miss New England?I have moved south and west many times.Always to come back to the seasons,History and i have
to say i missed the Stone Walls the most.Always drawn back.....

~Blaze

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Blaze,
I miss the way it used to be; a small town, minimal crime and friendly people. I still miss the changing colors of fall and the snow at Christmas time. Just before Christmas the townspeople would gather on a hillside on "God's Little Acre" and sing Christmas carols.
I traded that in for Southern California 54 years ago and have no regrets.
Don......

OP
OP
T

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
I myself would go there to live in a heart beat, but my wife is a warm weather girl and would be absolutely miserable :) So, I have to settle for North Carolina...LOL!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great area , shame about old 18th century properties being developed , sucks bigtime

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread