Cellar holes yesterday - CRAZY bucket list coins, awesome button spill!

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yesterday, my buddy Jim and I went and picked up my buddy Robert to hit some cellar holes. Since we are all basically the same age, it makes for fun hunting! :hello2:

We picked up Robert at 6:30, stopped at a Dunkin Donuts, and went to the first site... and it was pounded. :sadsmiley: Oh well, we had lots of other sites in mind.

Then at around 7:30, we parked at some power lines and hiked about half a mile to our next site. We kinda "winged it" in hopes two areas adjacent to each other were actually both sites, or if at least one was a site. We got off the trail between the power lines, took a left on a trail, then hopped a stone wall next to the trail, we immediately saw a mound and walked up to it, there was the hole. A nice small colonial... unfortunately Jim noted the iron on rocks - a tell tale sign there was other detectorists here. That didn't stop us though, as Jim got a clear high tone only 5 minutes in right on the lip of the cellar hole and it was a copper. He yelled out "copper", and me and Rob ran over. We saw the most GORGEOUS New Jersey state copper in his hand! We all got small buttons, tombac and brass, but none with backmarks, so we assume the site didn't make it far into the 1800s. I then wander away from the cellar hole a bit into an area with some vegetation, and get a nice 65 signal on the MXT all pro and saw a small disc in the hole. With a little rub, I saw a clear bust of King George II and the text around it. I knew by it's size it had to be a farthing, and then got a date as well, 1749. :thumbsup:

I got a really deep signal about 20 minutes later closer to the cellar hole, it sounded kinda like a 10" copper. I let Jim use his AT PRO to scan the signal, NOTHING. :tongue3: so I dig... and dig... and dig... and then I finally get a signal on the pinpointer and pop out two cuff sized buttons attached by a small string of hemp or cloth of some type. 10 inch deep cuff buttons... that's a little deep for just a couple small buttons... so I rescan the hole with the pinpointer and get more signals. I grab a handful of dirt and popped out two more of the same cuff buttons. I recheck the hole and get another signal, but this one I can't find with my hands... I used my shovel to dig my hole out a little more and in the clod I saw a shiny button, coat sized! It was a tombac, I grab the handful of dirt loosened by the shovel and three more coats and another cuff came out, all the coats have different designs which is very odd. What an interesting find!!! :headbang: All with shank as well. Maybe a coat or garment was lost here when the settlers moved out from this site?

We ended up leaving after a while and go the opposite direction to another site we marked... we followed a very faint trail through thick mountain laurel, and stumbled upon a wall, followed it up a hill, and we saw a tiny corral and a small depression right next to it. Immediately me and Rob start popping EARLY buttons: cast drilled shank, pewters, lead, two-pieces, and a couple tombacs and a couple brass. I then get an iffy signal in the cellar hole and I got a silver cufflink with a tudor rose type pattern on it. My first ever silver cufflink, I was really happy about that. Rob got an amazing pewter button with a design... big one too with an intact shank and seam... can't wait to see how that cleans as well. The signals slow down dramatically so I went ahead and gridded an area between the depression and well... at the end of my grid I get a great 75-77 signal and just knew it was going to be a really early British copper, turns out that I was wrong, it is in fact a DRAPED BUST HALF CENT, and it's condition is phenomenal! I'm scared to clean it anymore, but it's an 1805. This was probably dropped after the site was occupied based on the other finds. Rob also got a nice shoe buckle frame with a design. Everything from this site dated to the 1700s except the half cent. This was my first half cent, I was so pumped!

The finds halted so we got out of there, but we will be back to both these sites one day for sure. I bet there's more targets waiting to be found. The next 10 or so sites were disappointing to say the least. Mostly pounded or turned out not to be sites... the only finds for the rest of the day were a few more tombacs, and Jim dug ANOTHER half cent, 1804. I've never seen TWO dug in one day. Thanks for looking!

666.jpg 667.jpg 668.jpg 669.jpg 670.jpg 671.jpg 672.jpg 673.jpg 676.jpg 674.jpg 675.jpg 677.jpg

Upvote 53

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That half cent is ridiculous and I'm super jealous. I'm cringing thinking about you "cleaning" it but you got some good advice so good luck. Post some pictures afterward. The farthing is on my bucket list too so again...I'm jealous. Awesome day brother!

You're just a sad, jealous and bitter little man Joeyfresh lol.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds Isaac! I'd love to dig coppers like that but it's not going to happen in a cultivated field. That's definitely one advantage to hunting in the woods. Congrats on an outstanding hunt, and good luck cleaning those coins up.

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice finds

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I envy Y'all with the areas and age of the relics found. I enjoy reading your accounts of the hunts and hope you continue to find great stuff and keep telling us about it.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys had a great day. That NJ has some sweet detail left on it.

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Epic hunt Isaac and thanks for the detailed narrative, the trio of coppers, in that condition, will be a hard one to top. Always fun hunting with buddies when everyone walks away with a colonial copper. Agree with IP, excavate that button hoard and dig the rest of the coat

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the kind of hunt that just makes this hobby pretty darn special.

I really enjoy your knowledge, full story with pics, and plain enthusiasm.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG Isaac, 3 sweet coins, a fist full of buttons, whet else could you ask for on a "Good Friday" hunt. It's always extra special when you can a couple off the ole bucket list. :notworthy:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice group of coppers! Great details! Glad someone is finding the good stuff!

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome finds! I'm in the midst of doing an olive oil soak on one of my buttons to try to gently clean it and see if it can be identified, but it's nowhere near as good a shape as the ones you found.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UNBELIEVABLE New Jersey copper!! Variety is M.31-L Although it is common, a fantastic looking coin! I'm sure Don will be in touch. Congrats................Hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half Cent is variety(s)......Breen 4 or CMM-4. That one will clean up nice also!

OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome hunt! Congrats! I hope I can get to a site like that. Im still a rookie but what keys you into knowing its a cellar hole?

Thanks man! You will, it is usually a stone lined depression in the ground with a chimney pile and other indicators of a house. Sometimes they are accompanied by a well, stone walls, or barn foundation nearby. There's usually a cart road leading up to it as well. HH!

Wow man that's a great pile of finds. That NJ is one of the best I've seen. The half cent is going to be a stunner and farthings are a very tough find. Did you read what I posted about why 1749 is such a common date? I agree with IP on the cleaning method. Just always try to leave water out of the equation. Can't wait to see those all cleaned up. The soil conditions must be similar to the spot I've been hunting and that's a rare combination of nice coins and great conditions. Gotta get everything you can from those rare spots

Yes I know why, I think they shipped TONS of them to NE that year. Thanks so much! I'm planning on leaving it alone for now, may put it in a 2x2. This spot is actually close to the CT river, making it for sandy soil. HH!

That half cent is ridiculous and I'm super jealous. I'm cringing thinking about you "cleaning" it but you got some good advice so good luck. Post some pictures afterward. The farthing is on my bucket list too so again...I'm jealous. Awesome day brother!

Thank you Joey, I am leaving them alone. I want just ONE cob!!! Boohoo!!

You're just a sad, jealous and bitter little man Joeyfresh lol.

HAHAHA 8-)

Great finds Isaac! I'd love to dig coppers like that but it's not going to happen in a cultivated field. That's definitely one advantage to hunting in the woods. Congrats on an outstanding hunt, and good luck cleaning those coins up.

Thanks Bill! It's crazy, there's so many coppers in NE compared to VA. You've dug some incredible coppers in the fields down there looking back on recent threads.

That's the kind of hunt that just makes this hobby pretty darn special.

I really enjoy your knowledge, full story with pics, and plain enthusiasm.

Thanks I appreciate the comment :)

Half Cent is variety(s)......Breen 4 or CMM-4. That one will clean up nice also!

UNBELIEVABLE New Jersey copper!! Variety is M.31-L Although it is common, a fantastic looking coin! I'm sure Don will be in touch. Congrats................Hogge

Thanks so much on the varieties, I asked Don as well on FB.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice day of dirt fishing for sure.
Nice site pics. BTW
I never got a "button spill". IP's suggestion to dig the area is not a bad one, there may be much more, ?

As far as trying ten more sites that same day , I'm thinking you may be moving too fast, I think I would have been content to stay at that "good" site a quite a bit longer. Remember that site was hunted, and you found all that, remember also masking, and not all good targets are going to be a "perfect" signal.

Good luck out there.

Channon

Feb 8, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! Where are you hunting? I have a very similar spot. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459043972.102483.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread