Cellar holes yesterday - CRAZY bucket list coins, awesome button spill!

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yesterday, my buddy Jim and I went and picked up my buddy Robert to hit some cellar holes. Since we are all basically the same age, it makes for fun hunting! :hello2:

We picked up Robert at 6:30, stopped at a Dunkin Donuts, and went to the first site... and it was pounded. :sadsmiley: Oh well, we had lots of other sites in mind.

Then at around 7:30, we parked at some power lines and hiked about half a mile to our next site. We kinda "winged it" in hopes two areas adjacent to each other were actually both sites, or if at least one was a site. We got off the trail between the power lines, took a left on a trail, then hopped a stone wall next to the trail, we immediately saw a mound and walked up to it, there was the hole. A nice small colonial... unfortunately Jim noted the iron on rocks - a tell tale sign there was other detectorists here. That didn't stop us though, as Jim got a clear high tone only 5 minutes in right on the lip of the cellar hole and it was a copper. He yelled out "copper", and me and Rob ran over. We saw the most GORGEOUS New Jersey state copper in his hand! We all got small buttons, tombac and brass, but none with backmarks, so we assume the site didn't make it far into the 1800s. I then wander away from the cellar hole a bit into an area with some vegetation, and get a nice 65 signal on the MXT all pro and saw a small disc in the hole. With a little rub, I saw a clear bust of King George II and the text around it. I knew by it's size it had to be a farthing, and then got a date as well, 1749. :thumbsup:

I got a really deep signal about 20 minutes later closer to the cellar hole, it sounded kinda like a 10" copper. I let Jim use his AT PRO to scan the signal, NOTHING. :tongue3: so I dig... and dig... and dig... and then I finally get a signal on the pinpointer and pop out two cuff sized buttons attached by a small string of hemp or cloth of some type. 10 inch deep cuff buttons... that's a little deep for just a couple small buttons... so I rescan the hole with the pinpointer and get more signals. I grab a handful of dirt and popped out two more of the same cuff buttons. I recheck the hole and get another signal, but this one I can't find with my hands... I used my shovel to dig my hole out a little more and in the clod I saw a shiny button, coat sized! It was a tombac, I grab the handful of dirt loosened by the shovel and three more coats and another cuff came out, all the coats have different designs which is very odd. What an interesting find!!! :headbang: All with shank as well. Maybe a coat or garment was lost here when the settlers moved out from this site?

We ended up leaving after a while and go the opposite direction to another site we marked... we followed a very faint trail through thick mountain laurel, and stumbled upon a wall, followed it up a hill, and we saw a tiny corral and a small depression right next to it. Immediately me and Rob start popping EARLY buttons: cast drilled shank, pewters, lead, two-pieces, and a couple tombacs and a couple brass. I then get an iffy signal in the cellar hole and I got a silver cufflink with a tudor rose type pattern on it. My first ever silver cufflink, I was really happy about that. Rob got an amazing pewter button with a design... big one too with an intact shank and seam... can't wait to see how that cleans as well. The signals slow down dramatically so I went ahead and gridded an area between the depression and well... at the end of my grid I get a great 75-77 signal and just knew it was going to be a really early British copper, turns out that I was wrong, it is in fact a DRAPED BUST HALF CENT, and it's condition is phenomenal! I'm scared to clean it anymore, but it's an 1805. This was probably dropped after the site was occupied based on the other finds. Rob also got a nice shoe buckle frame with a design. Everything from this site dated to the 1700s except the half cent. This was my first half cent, I was so pumped!

The finds halted so we got out of there, but we will be back to both these sites one day for sure. I bet there's more targets waiting to be found. The next 10 or so sites were disappointing to say the least. Mostly pounded or turned out not to be sites... the only finds for the rest of the day were a few more tombacs, and Jim dug ANOTHER half cent, 1804. I've never seen TWO dug in one day. Thanks for looking!

666.jpg 667.jpg 668.jpg 669.jpg 670.jpg 671.jpg 672.jpg 673.jpg 676.jpg 674.jpg 675.jpg 677.jpg

Upvote 53

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, awesome hunt ! :occasion14:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now there's a real swell friend! "I let Jim use his AT PRO to scan the signal, NOTHING.
tongue3.gif
" :laughing7:

Great hunt, and you are right, that is a sweet NJ! The small button cache is cool too. You should shovel that thing out well.... 3 feet around and at least a couple feet deep!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isaac, you and your buddies had an epic adventure with some terrific finds to boot. I loved every bit of your well-written post. Jim's New Jersey copper looks to be in tremendous condition, but your draped bust half cent isn't far behind. Were these found in Northern Virginia? If so, they held up really well. Maybe because they were not subjected to 200 years of farming fertilizers. You don't often see coppers in that kind of shape, especially in this area. I hope you'll post additional photos of some of those finds after they are cleaned.

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Awesome finds Isaac! My favorite is the silver cuff button.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SUPER HUNT!!!!! Luv all the buttons!!! CONGRATZ...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isaac, you and your buddies had an epic adventure with some terrific finds to boot. I loved every bit of your well-written post. Jim's New Jersey copper looks to be in tremendous condition, but your draped bust half cent isn't far behind. Were these found in Northern Virginia? If so, they held up really well. Maybe because they were not subjected to 200 years of farming fertilizers. You don't often see coppers in that kind of shape, especially in this area. I hope you'll post additional photos of some of those finds after they are cleaned.

After cleaning I think the Half Cent might end up sharper than the NJ!

OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry all, I forgot to mention we were in Connecticut. The soil in this area was super sandy so the coins came out very nice. Any ideas on how to clean the half cent best while preserving the green patina? Should I just leave it? Thanks for all the comments! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now there's a real swell friend! "I let Jim use his AT PRO to scan the signal, NOTHING.
tongue3.gif
" :laughing7:

Great hunt, and you are right, that is a sweet NJ! The small button cache is cool too. You should shovel that thing out well.... 3 feet around and at least a couple feet deep!

HAHAHA! I will be going back to see if there is anymore, I know there is still targets to be found.

Thanks for the kind words! These were actually found in Connecticut, sorry I forgot to mention that earlier. Will do.

Awesome finds Isaac! My favorite is the silver cuff button.

Thanks man! I see these type found a lot and always wanted one!

SUPER HUNT!!!!! Luv all the buttons!!! CONGRATZ...

Thanks!!

After cleaning I think the Half Cent might end up sharper than the NJ!

I hope it cleans up well, but for now, I'm leaving it alone since the coin's patina isn't "flaking". Any suggestions?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen some members say your posts are too long, but you just pay them no attention. I don't! They are too involved with themselves for my taste anyway:laughing7:. Anyone making finds as nice as yours has the right to elaborate on your hunts. You did well again Isaac. Great job:icon_thumright:

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Great bunch of finds...that Jersey Copper is in great shape...I dug one in Sandy soil, in incredible condition too....love the half cent and buttons too...my kind of hunt......Congrats

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry all, I forgot to mention we were in Connecticut. The soil in this area was super sandy so the coins came out very nice. Any ideas on how to clean the half cent best while preserving the green patina? Should I just leave it? Thanks for all the comments! :occasion14:

Peroxide soak with some brushing/finger rubbing, and just lay to dry. If you don't rinse it some color will come back. That's what I'd do.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow your coppers are in great shape! Congrats!

-- Jeff --

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story to go with the incredible finds... Very good read this evening...
Congrats on the stellar day of detecting!! :thumbsup:

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt! Congrats! I hope I can get to a site like that. Im still a rookie but what keys you into knowing its a cellar hole?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow man that's a great pile of finds. That NJ is one of the best I've seen. The half cent is going to be a stunner and farthings are a very tough find. Did you read what I posted about why 1749 is such a common date? I agree with IP on the cleaning method. Just always try to leave water out of the equation. Can't wait to see those all cleaned up. The soil conditions must be similar to the spot I've been hunting and that's a rare combination of nice coins and great conditions. Gotta get everything you can from those rare spots

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread