1652 Massachusetts Pine Tree Threepence and more from virgin 1660 homesite!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
What an incredible day at a 1660 virgin homesite in Massachusetts! My first find was a huge Brown Bess musket ball. Nice way to get the day started. My next target was the best find of the day, and one of my best finds ever, a 1652 Pine Tree Threepence! It's either a Noe 36 or a Noe 37 variety. Unfortunately the tree side is tough to make a definitive call. Either way, it's well over a $1000 coin��. Then came a sweet George I Farthing. Next find was an Abraham Lincoln related thing, not sure what it is yet. Right next to that was a colonial gold broach. After an early ox knob and a a bale seal came a great goulcher lock or dog lock off a musket or rifle. All in all, a fantastic day!

Thank you Dr. R.M. Gramly for the tip on the location!

Updates:
The Pine Tree Threepence is a Noe 36/Salmon 2-B, Rarity 4, only 75-200 known!
The "dog lock" was actually just part of an old cap gun, darn!
The Lincoln item is a ferrotype campaign button from the 1860 election :)

18343f66-3187-46a7-9793-6891b39c48c0.jpg 36713acf-5b98-4270-934c-2bc97d0b9371.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 582
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    391.7 KB · Views: 548
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    397.1 KB · Views: 549
  • pt1.jpeg
    pt1.jpeg
    517.3 KB · Views: 390
  • pt2.jpeg
    pt2.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 403
  • pt3.jpeg
    pt3.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 361
  • kg1.jpeg
    kg1.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 348
  • al.jpeg
    al.jpeg
    522.3 KB · Views: 356
  • hh.jpeg
    hh.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_3025.JPG
    IMG_3025.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_3027.JPG
    IMG_3027.JPG
    257.8 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_3032.JPG
    IMG_3032.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 341
  • doglock.jpeg
    doglock.jpeg
    575.6 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Upvote 83

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent again, but it ain't no '77! Lol.

Tnet never seises to amaze me.

Banner

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's worthy it's worthy!!!! The rest just should not matter. I'm not even sure what the rest is to be quite honest. This forum should be about the finds when you strip all the other crap away. This find is incredible! This ridiculousness makes my Irish blood boil! I don't like things that don't make sense and that have no explanation. When one of us digs a NE Shilling and it doesn't go up I'll just smile....because one of us will have a potential $250,000 coin....in our personal collection....and our dream will have come to fruition. I have no idea what my point to all this is but I'm pretty sure a few of you will get it lol

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
If it's worthy it's worthy!!!! The rest just should not matter. I'm not even sure what the rest is to be quite honest. This forum should be about the finds when you strip all the other crap away. This find is incredible! This ridiculousness makes my Irish blood boil! I don't like things that don't make sense and that have no explanation. When one of us digs a NE Shilling and it doesn't go up I'll just smile....because one of us will have a potential $250,000 coin....in our personal collection....and our dream will have come to fruition. I have no idea what my point to all this is but I'm pretty sure a few of you will get it lol

Don't worry about it. I don't intend to push the issue. In fact, I intend to make this my last post in this thread. I'll let it fall into oblivion because this coin looks way better in my display case than it would up top. Thank you everyone for the positive comments.

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I said earlier this is one great find I thought banner as soon as I saw
Such a rate coin to find. Great job hh gl p

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sick Oxbow. Next time you go hit me up. I'm just right south of you. Lol. So jealous of the tree coin. Congrats man.

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great, now I'm in one of my "time-travel" fantasies again, where, along with my trusty Deus, I get to travel back to a time when all the ground was virgin. It's going to take me an hour to come back to reality.

Anyway, I'm fortunate to have met a few of the "old timers" over my years. I can't even imagine the piles of silver and coppers that must have come out of old town commons, school yards and the like. I've certainly heard stories of people finding things that if found today would be national news. I'm thrilled when I find anything colonial, but I have to work hard to locate good spots that haven't been hunted heavily.

A old timer I met told me a story that almost made me cry. Him and 2 buddies hit a school by me in west springfield after a rain storm with some of the first machines around. Him and his 2 buddies his over $70 face value in silver coins. I can't even imagine?? Crazy. Would love to have been there in the beginning. But even they didn't get it all. We're still fortunate. I can't believe the coins I've just seen today on the forum that you guys have found. Bottom line, that next hole can still change your life. As it did for you today. Very lucky club to be in. I've been hitting the woods hard trying to get me something that old. I don't expect to ever find one of those though. But it's nice to dream. Cheers brother.

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't worry about it. I don't intend to push the issue. In fact, I intend to make this my last post in this thread. I'll let it fall into oblivion because this coin looks way better in my display case than it would up top. Thank you everyone for the positive comments.

Great outlook Oxbow, but theres no question. I think some people think because we live in NE these things jump out of the soil?? Idk?? But it will be a Banner, if it isn't already by the time I post this. No question.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, anyone who know anything about colonial coinage knows this is a banner find. I don't know the reason why this hasn't gone banner, but seeing coins like yours not make banner whereas much more inferior coins make it burns my ***

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Very late to the party here- but for what it's worth, I gave my banner vote. Any tree coin needs to be up top... easy for me to say. :)

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Very late to the party here- but for what it's worth, I gave my banner vote. Any tree coin needs to be up top... easy for me to say. :)

Problem is another tree coin blew right by ox's. I believe the rules state two similar finds, one will likely not make it up top.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread