Found King Louis XVI on a button, in a trash pit... and much more.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sifted some more of my trash pit on Saturday, however that was not my plan. Rewind to Friday... I had off work for Good Friday, and decided to wake up with the Sun and find a cellar hole. I had about a 3 mile hike up a mountain and 3 miles back down. Based on my map overlays and topo maps, I thought I knew just where it was. Either I was way off, or I was standing next to it and it was hidden in the underbrush. The sky opened up and dumped rain on me... soaking wet, I got a hand full of modern shell casings and bullets.... I hiked back out to hit another cellar... shell casings there. So I went to the site I got the pillars and globe cufflink at a month ago and only dug clad and foil. The day was a bust, so I was home by noon to do yard work.

Saturday rolled around and I decided I needed a good hunt. I have some "good hunts" left in this trash pit that I was saving for the summer. So I decided to open up a section and sift some more. I had high hopes of unmasking a copper or a silver, but it wasnt meant to be. I did however get some good buttons, including an incredible King Louis the 16th of France button, cast with a drilled shank. Some other odds and ends turned up including a early to mid 1800's fork handle with wood intact and a cool heart inlay. Some pipe stem pieces and a few bone buttons also popped up. Other than that, a ton of glass and pottery... two 3 ringers and some carved lead.

IMG_20160328_131425799.jpg

King Louis XVI of France was in power when the French fought for the US during the American Revolution. He was married to Marie Antoinette and eventually they were both executed at the guillotine for treason and various other crimes. I originally thought this was King George, but then I googled "LUD XVI D G FR" on the button and turns out, its a facsimile of a Louis XVI ECU silver coin obverse. I don't know what denomination a French ECU is, but it looks like its a half dollar sized silver coin. I couldn't be happier with this pewter button :headbang: Into the case he goes, along with King Carlos on the reales and King George on the coppers!

IMG_20160326_165144938.jpg

Here he is fresh out of the dirt.

IMG_20160326_125842795.jpg

While this post is about my hunt on Sat (3/26), I did get out for a few hours last Sun (3/20) evening (same site) and right when I thought that short hunt was going to be a bust, I wandered out of my typical grid area where its quiet and nailed this 1800 DBLC. It was in plowed soil and only an inch or two deep. Very loud and thought it was going to be big iron. It actually looks like its one of the overdate varieties.... but pretty toasted.

IMG_20160320_194446084.jpg

This really cool fork handle came out of the pit with wood intact. I've had some experience preserving this sort of relic... after its out of the dirt and it starts to dry out, the wood will basically warp and turn to dust. Mineral oil and rubber bands will keep it together until it dries out and the oil soaks into the wood.

IMG_20160328_120200533.jpg

IMG_20160328_131621793.jpg IMG_20160328_131640739.jpg IMG_20160328_131646727.jpg

There is another tiny doll arm in there. Also some more pigs teeth and some boar jaw bones turned up... and of course, some more rose heads! I actually tumbled all the nails from this pit section and I included all of them just tossed around between the pottery.

IMG_20160328_131530786.jpg IMG_20160328_131550041.jpg
IMG_20160328_131554613.jpg IMG_20160328_131605253.jpg

Here is the pile of all the glass and iron. Lots of work to sort and clean all this stuff. Most if it will be put into storage and hopefully I can put together some more of the plates and bowls when I finish the pit.

IMG_20160326_160750664_HDR.jpg

More pig and cow bones... I leave all this stuff behind, but its helps tell the story of what they were eating.

IMG_20160326_114329945_HDR.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Its brass on the inside and iron on the outside. Perhaps a ferrule to a fork\knife or spoon.

IMG_20160328_120214449.jpg

Some nice iron turned up too. What I believe is a chisel with some wood still on the handle. And that curved piece that reminded me of one of those "Brick Ties" that you see on the side of an old brick house to help support the wall... but I'm not sure that's what it really is.

IMG_20160328_120228651.jpg IMG_20160328_120237053.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 13

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, its actually a linked-button or cufflink. Cool.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find, its actually a linked-button or cufflink. Cool.

I thought you might know about that button!! I saw some that were the reverse of a King Louis ECU coin, but I couldn't find one like this with the obverse of the coin and Louis' bust. So its a cufflink?? That's pretty awesome. Odd, I dig 100's of plain buttons, but lately I've been finding cufflink buttons with cool designs on them. Know where there is anymore info on these Louis XVI cufflinks? Thanks a ton Cru

Brad

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds, your curved thing may maybe part of a window shutter stay ? happy hunting

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet finds, your curved thing may maybe part of a window shutter stay ? happy hunting

Excellent... just googled it and I think you're right. Its a little too small to be a Brick Tie and I think it fits a shutter stay much better... it looks a lot like some of the S shaped ones I just saw. Thanks a ton nsdq.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang Brad - that pewter linked button, or whatever it is, is the finest example I've seen both in the uniqueness of its design as well as the condition. Great job on all the other goodies as well.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice Brad. The Louis "button" is really nice.

Best of luck to you!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are really killing it on the coin facsimile cuff links. That's the first French one I have seen.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang Brad - that pewter linked button, or whatever it is, is the finest example I've seen both in the uniqueness of its design as well as the condition. Great job on all the other goodies as well.

Thanks a ton Bill! It came out of the side wall in the bottom corner of the section I was working. It almost didn't make it in this section I opened... even worse, since it was on the border of two sections, it could have gotten chopped when I cut the sod. There is a 4'x4' section next to it that I will sift next time. Now i'm excited to open it up.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice Brad. The Louis "button" is really nice.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks a ton Tom! Best of luck to you too man.

You are really killing it on the coin facsimile cuff links. That's the first French one I have seen.

Thanks a ton Steve! Its crazy how things in this hobby seem to come in bursts. Lately I've been getting tons of buttons... then there will be a month stretch that I cant find a button to save my life. ha 4 of these facsimile links have turned up a 2 different sites all in this month. I actually thought this one was a button because I couldnt find anything like it online... unlike the real links that I found, which seem well documented.

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! Could you give some advice on how you go through a dump like this? I have found one myself but a bit overwhelming to try and tackle. Thanks!

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are capable of some serious trash pit excavation effort! So great to see the results, too. This is what I was imagining as I read your post:

ODA.JPG

I believe I discovered a lesser trashpit last year without really realizing what I found. I think this weekend it may warm up enough for me to begin digging it out. Thanks for providing some inspiration.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're going to have to name that site 'The Giving Pit" because of all the great relics you're pulling out of it. Congratulations once again; and yes that is a chisel. I found one very similar to it last year.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! Could you give some advice on how you go through a dump like this? I have found one myself but a bit overwhelming to try and tackle. Thanks!

Sure... I can try at least. I'm still learning and I know I'm not doing things the most efficient yet. I just started sifting last summer, with maybe 10 sifting trips under my belt and fumbling my way through. The "pit" at this place was more of a "pile". Its not one hole that is deep and filled, but rather a huge area that has top soil down about a foot, with red clay at the bottom.

The first thing I did was find which areas that were worth sifting. I did this by keeping an eye on what I was seeing in the plugs as I was detecting. Anytime I got a plug with oyster shells, pottery and brick in it, I would mark it as an area I wanted to sift in the future.

What I do is lay down a tarp. Use a big shovel to cut a 4' x 4' (or so) section and remove the sod and set aside. I then shovel out all the dirt onto the tarp. Every 5 min or so, I'll run my machine over it and find non-ferrous tones that got unmasked. In a good section of the pit, I'll be picking out stuff constantly as I'm putting the dirt on the tarp. Once I empty the pit out down to the clay layer, I detect it one more time, and then sift all the dirt back into the hole... detecting as I go (again) and picking all the stuff out of the sifter. Finally the sod goes back and I repeat it all again on another 4 foot section.

My issues right now are that I only have a small hand held sifter and I need to build a bigger one. So its backbreaking work to sift back in. On my trip on Sat, in 6 hours I only did about 40 square feet of pit. My back was killing me and I was exhausted.

I am also overwhelmed by the size of this pit. Buts its all colonial through mid 1800's, so I will chip away at it and enjoy the stuff that surfaces. I am constantly surprised at what is masked down there and its a ton of fun sifting it out.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you might know about that button!! I saw some that were the reverse of a King Louis ECU coin, but I couldn't find one like this with the obverse of the coin and Louis' bust. So its a cufflink?? That's pretty awesome. Odd, I dig 100's of plain buttons, but lately I've been finding cufflink buttons with cool designs on them. Know where there is anymore info on these Louis XVI cufflinks? Thanks a ton Cru

Brad
Coin Button - UK Finds Database -
This was the closest I could get, but its a button not a cufflink.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are capable of some serious trash pit excavation effort! So great to see the results, too. This is what I was imagining as I read your post:

View attachment 1291519

I believe I discovered a lesser trashpit last year without really realizing what I found. I think this weekend it may warm up enough for me to begin digging it out. Thanks for providing some inspiration.

:laughing7: I look like Oscar after a day of sifting.... covered in dirt and sweating mud... I'm also pretty grouchy! ha Thanks a ton Ken. You should totally sift it some... put together a sifter with some 1/2" screen and go to town. When the pit is producing, its more fun than detecting.

You're going to have to name that site 'The Giving Pit" because of all the great relics you're pulling out of it. Congratulations once again; and yes that is a chisel. I found one very similar to it last year.

Every time another piece of the glazed stoneware surfaced I was hoping it would have a seal on it like your GR medallion. :laughing7: No luck tho. Thanks a ton! Good to know about the chisel. I've found lots of forged iron tools at this place. It's always awesome to find one that most likely helped build the house there.

Digging trashpits is one of my favorite ways of finding artfucats, that Louis cufflink I ssuberb!! Wtg!!!!

Thanks a ton Pacivilwarluke! It is a ton of fun and work. While a lot of "stuff" surfaced on sat, there wasnt that many keepers in the mix.. at least relative to other sections of the pit here. Hopefully I get into another hot spot or two. Its the most fun when you flip over some dirt and 5 buttons show up in the dirt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coin Button - UK Finds Database -
This was the closest I could get, but its a button not a cufflink.

Awesome... same legend, but a diff bust. I just put the calipers on mine and its 17.88 to 18mm... so roughly the same size as that one. Thank you for finding that. Its the closet thing I have seen yet.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
A nice post with a killer find Brad. The condition of your button is remarkable. Pewter is hit or miss...usually miss as far as condition goes. Couldn't ask for a better example. Looking forward to the next sifting expedition, I'm sure something nice will surface.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread