🥇 BANNER CS plate, that WAS a lucky charm!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some of you may have seen my post yesterday on the lucky token and decorative mystery object I dug so the title of this thread will make perfect sense. This afternoon we went out to hunt a site that really didn't hold a ton of promise but it was a site I had asked permission to hunt which made my find even more special as my better half is usually the one who does major research for me to just show up with a smile and my Minelab 505 X-Terra ready to dig. I had dug three or four not so good signals and pulled out trashy pot metal and iron what's-it's, thinking we had one of our usual afternoons of Spring cleaning a homeowner's yard ahead of us. Got a wonderful nice toned signal, dug a plug about 4-6 inches deep and saw that beautiful green color we all know and love. I had unearthed a Confederate Army of Tennessee belt buckle! Some sources call it a clipped corner and indicate it was worn by Confedrate Calvary. The buckle was not available until 1863, which makes it perfect for the Battle of Nashville which was in December 1864. It also most likely means the soldier who wore it was involved in the Atlanta campaign, Battles of Spring Hill and Franklin and Nashville where he lost it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 95

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
A rare buckle no doubt. I voted "banner" which it should be. The Tennessee clip corner is a dream find that any relic hunter would love to dig....including me! Congrats Nancy, it don't get any better than that!

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats!!! So happy for you what an amazing find!

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another banner vote headed your way! One heck of a great find.

Last edited:

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow ! I guess I can't get away with saying " That's mine, I just lost it yesterday " huh ?

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow ! I guess I can't get away with saying " That's mine, I just lost it yesterday " huh ?

Prolly not Bruce but nice try. Our friend in Murfreesboro, Tennessee , Larry Hicklen said the plate was most likely made at the Selma Arsenal.

image.jpeg

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you find your next CSA buckle, you should rebury it and let your husband find it....it's only fair.:laughing7:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Coily! That's your second buckle, and of course your second banner! Congratulations!

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you all again for the banner votes. I am pleased as punch with my find of course but I think I might have a little augmentation on it but very little and I will post the results in the restoration forum. I want to have it straightened out, the two hooks that are missing rebuilt, and the natural green patina brought out just a little bit more. I was given the name Robert McDaniel by several people who have sent off their plates to him and they say he does excellent work but I haven't talked to him yet. I know some people here use him and say he's good.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like I'm late to the party, but a big congratulation; that's incredible! WARNING...could be habit-forming.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So that's the way you do it!! You never know what's in those fields until you swing that coil. You swung your coil over a nice one! I'm sure you'll go back! Great find you made!!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find,, although I like the patina, , I would have that bad boy restored, might even wear it
Congrats

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very excited for you...banner well deserved.well done cg !!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not even a bullet which makes it even more amazing of a find. It was super trashy yard but we have the attitude that at least we got out and got some fresh air.

Only read down this far on your Banner Post.

So there is Still Hope?

These things pop up when you least expect them , That's why on any given site , we gotta at least try & have y'all's Positive Attitude. 'As Cru also says '.

Another rectangle CSA would have been super but to dig another Variety Extra Cool!

Now if my Wife will only do research or 'mostly ask for permission ' I will be great.

A Great Save Indeed.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread