Civil War Uniform found in barn

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So not a detecting find but still great. My father in law discovered this in their 1800s farm house barn. I took a pic of one of the dozen buttons (all the same) on the coat that are pristine. Gorgeous! Also discovered the star pin in a little pocket on the coat. Perfect condition again!
The button reads "Mass Militia Volunteer". So cool! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459436360.619651.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459436377.154098.jpg

Upvote 34

Kk77

May 7, 2014
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really amazing!! That's like museum quality!!

OP
OP
danjsargent

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Can we see a pic of the whole coat? Are the buttons silvered? If so my gut is telling me they are 1840s-1850s. That's one serious find!

I will have to take one. I was too blown away by the buttons to do a full coat one!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible! Barns hold some amazing treasures. You may want to talk with some people who are versed in textile conservation to keep it looking great!

OP
OP
danjsargent

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible! Barns hold some amazing treasures. You may want to talk with some people who are versed in textile conservation to keep it looking great!

Great advice thanks! It looks alright now but will certainly start to crumble with lots of handling I am sure!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is incredible! I hope you are searching every nook and cranny of that barn! Just so happens that I recently found a Mass Volunteer Militia button near my home here in Virginia. It has been a head scratcher because there are no recorded CW battles in the immediate area.

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOVE that thing, even more because I have found two of those buttons in different locations!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome ! Please take great care of it for future generations to see :icon_thumleft:

Saint

Greenie
Jul 5, 2004
Assuming this isn't an early April Fools joke, the first thing would be to keep it out of direct sunlight for any extended period of time. Great find if it's real!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe a few photos & send them to a few of the major auction houses______then a nice 2016 Corvette in the garage?

Southern loyalist

Jun 6, 2011
Pictures of the entire jacket will enable folks to ID it pretty quickly as to the age, pre-war, post-war, etc. As mentioned earlier, keep it out of the light and try not to handle it, especially with bare hands - you want to keep the oils off. For temporary storage you might want to place a clean cotton sheet on a big piece of cardboard or plywood, lay the jacket flat/gently on top of it and place another sheet on top of the coat and slide it under a bed and close the door to that room. Whatever you do try to keep it in the bundle as found or if found hanging lay it flat. Do not try to press it flat or loosen clumpy parts of the coat where it might be bunched up or is sticking together. You might also want to contact local museums or the National Park Service Harpers Ferry offices for some stabilization ideas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread