French Site: Almost Complete Shoe Buckle, Pieces, Button, & 2nd Bordeaux Seal

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the French site AGAIN. Seems like it rains every Friday, so we decided to go back and try our luck. I ended up with a small, but larger than usual, almost complete shoe buckle, and a small frame and chape. Another small French coat button missing half the shank. My worse ever indian head penny that rang up as a 50 on the XP, in the nickel range. It is toast, but seems a bit thicker than the other ones i have. I think this might be my first fatty, too bad it is in very poor shape. And my second BORDEAUX lead seal with wire. This one is in a little better shape and appears to say Martigue on one side. Would love to know a little more about the Large buckle and lead seal. Thanks for looking Oh and i traded my buddy for that cool seal matrix. Im hoping for some suggestions on how to clean it up a bit. Still uncertain of the composition. It has some rust like crust on it. I tried stamping it on some yellow beeswax yest. Some details came out good, but i think it needs to be cleaned. If anyone would like to see some better pics, let me know, i will be taking some shortly. Thanks. I just added more pics of the Seal Matrix below. Scroll Down to 3rd post.

Attachments

• P4030001.JPG
    P4030001.JPG
    462.4 KB · Views: 97
  • P4030002.JPG
    P4030002.JPG
    437 KB · Views: 96
  • P4030003.JPG
    P4030003.JPG
    378.1 KB · Views: 111
  • P4030004.JPG
    P4030004.JPG
    435.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Upvote 10
OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Added new pics of Seal Matrix

Would love some info on Cleaning and Pres.

Attachments

• P4030002.JPG
    P4030002.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 91
  • P4030004.JPG
    P4030004.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 86
  • P4030006.JPG
    P4030006.JPG
    396.8 KB · Views: 92
  • P4030008.JPG
    P4030008.JPG
    391.4 KB · Views: 93

murph73

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2006
Schleswig Hohlstein
Detector(s) used
AT PRO , tesoro gold , Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap 100% Arsenic Bronze no doubt anymore. Or Zink Bronze . Not silver. The matrix fits to one of the names on the list u sent me congratz thats a awsome find!!!

Sean

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love some info on Cleaning and Pres.

So this is still the seal as is.. just better pics? If so, the answer is.... Do NOTHING! It's perfect. If the little brown spots bother you if you wiped it down with a cloth soaked in lemon juice that might take them off... but don't think they'd bother me too much. You certainly don't want to use anything abrasive or harsh that does something you can't stop in time or take back. It really is in awesome condition. In the end I would wax it.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the finds for the day, any buckle, especially ones that intact or nearly intact is a good one. Another Marines is always good to add to the collection, and I'm still surprised seeing that style of lead seal show because it looks nothing like any early ones I have dug, and I'm probably close to 40. It looks much more 1800s to me. I can't recall, but were you able to match and date it anywhere? I seem to remember something but am not quite sure.

murph73

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2006
Schleswig Hohlstein
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this is still the seal as is.. just better pics? If so, the answer is.... Do NOTHING! It's perfect. If the little brown spots bother you if you wiped it down with a cloth soaked in lemon juice that might take them off... but don't think they'd bother me too much. You certainly don't want to use anything abrasive or harsh that does something you can't stop in time or take back. It really is in awesome condition. In the end I would wax it.

Hi Iron Patch,

may i ask what kind of wax u use? Up until now i use chemically pure paraffin.

Best Regards

Sean

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Iron Patch,

may i ask what kind of wax u use? Up until now i use chemically pure paraffin.

Best Regards

Sean

Believe it or not I used to use a floor wax which worked very well, but I stopped because I wasn't comfortable with the fumes when melting... but may use it again, just do it outside. I then tried Renaissance wax and was not happy with how much residue remains, and it looks pretty bad on a dark surface, especially if there is pitting.. which most dug buttons have. I haven't waxed anything in a while, but was actually going to go to something similar to what you use.

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes IP. This is the same seal matrix. The only thing different is the ownership. I did a light toothbrushing with soap and hot water this morning before taking these new pics. I think the earlier pics my buddy sent me looked so good, because he used alot of flash with his cell phone camera, and that may have hid some of the blemishes. Im almost too scared to mess with it.
As for the finds for the day, any buckle, especially ones that intact or nearly intact is a good one. Another Marines is always good to add to the collection, and I'm still surprised seeing that style of lead seal show because it looks nothing like any early ones I have dug, and I'm probably close to 40. It looks much more 1800s to me. I can't recall, but were you able to match and date it anywhere? I seem to remember something but am not quite sure.
Most of the buckles ive dug were in pieces. Ive dug many frames and chapes, but this is only my second complete, or almost complete one. This is probably about the 15th marines button ive dug here. Still no info on the bale seal. I just know bordeaux and Martigues are places or regions in France. Not sure about the buckle either. It is a bit larger than my others, but thought the chape looked similar to some i had found at the site. Thanks for responding IP.

murph73

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2006
Schleswig Hohlstein
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not I used to use a floor wax which worked very well, but I stopped because I wasn't comfortable with the fumes when melting... but may use it again, just do it outside. I then tried Renaissance wax and was not happy with how much residue remains, and it looks pretty bad on a dark surface, especially if there is pitting.. which most dug buttons have. I haven't waxed anything in a while, but was actually going to go to something similar to what you use.

Hmmm i have alot of Bee wax think i should give it a try on some rotten coppers i have. The hardest part with chemically pure paraffin is to find it "pure" i buy mine at the farmacy that i trust the residue subsides after about 2 days and the finish is nice. If u use regulare paraffin it has perfume in it and other Benzols that are deadly for brase or copper alloys. It will produce corrosion.

Best Regards

Sean

murph73

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2006
Schleswig Hohlstein
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link and all the info Murph.

As we say here" Not for that". Its my pleasure to help. I think that makes out alot of what makes this hobby the greatest in the world. Finding out how, when, why.

Best regards

Sean

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here it is as a mirror image, how it would appear when stamped.

Attachments

• P4030006Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.JPG
    P4030006Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.JPG
    370.4 KB · Views: 82

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love all the finds PBR! As usual the really nice old finds don't get the respect or attention they deserve. But I promise you those of us who are passionate about the oldies are digging your finds. Keep it up

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love all the finds PBR! As usual the really nice old finds don't get the respect or attention they deserve. But I promise you those of us who are passionate about the oldies are digging your finds. Keep it up
Thanks Ahab......... Sometimes i feel like Rodney Dangerfield, but its worth it. I wish i had more sites like this.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ahab......... Sometimes i feel like Rodney Dangerfield, but its worth it. I wish i had more sites like this.

Part of what we have to keep in perspective is that there's very few people that even have the ability to get into sites the age of what we have. It's simply determined by where we live. The history in my area began around 1607. People tend to appreciate what they know and what they're more familiar with. Keep posting them up my friend. I love em

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done PBR!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread