🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_8359.jpg

Capped dime!! Who'da thunk it? :P
100_8358.jpg

Got up this morning and checked out the weather. Cloudy and not too hot...expecting rain in a couple of hours, so thought I'd go hunt a little at the button site. The way I went today goes right past the old Dr's house.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,70198.msg513473/topicseen.html#msg513473
I slowed down and took a peek down the drive and saw that the hay had been cut. Decided that I would spend my morning there instead. Now I usually don't go there alone, but it looked so inviting that I couldn't resist. The grass around the house was chest high so I drove on up to the second barn where the hay had been cut. Started hunting and within 10 minutes got a pretty good signal. Three inches. :P Right now, around here, three inches seems more like 10 inches with the ground being so dry but my signal was a good one, so I dug it. Sure glad I did! ;D After seeing it in the bottom of the hole, I knew that I had found silver, but didn't have a clue as to what it was. One side was pretty clean but the other had a blob of dirt stuck to it, so I just put it in my pocket. After a couple more holes a rain shower rolled in so I ran for the car. Sitting there I decided to put the coin on top of the car and let the rain clean it up a bit. I was all fidigy, about to die to know what it was. (My eye sight ain't what it use to be.) :-\ So I start going through compartments looking for anything that might help me see and I find an old pair of reading glasses that were my Dads! ;) The rain stopped after about 10 minutes and I grabbed the coin up and OH my Gosh! A what?! Here?! NOOOOOOOO.... in Alabama?! I'm still stunned! Ended up staying another hour or so and found a flat button at four inches and a couple of regular pennies. Still can't believe I found that coin! My oldest silver yet. I couldn't wait to get home and share it with my friends!!! :)
I didn't have the camera with me today. :-\ Sat it right by the door so's not to forget it and walked right on by. :P BUT..here's a pic from this past January...

Drsplace.jpg

Nana :)

Upvote 0

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
That is one truly great coin find you have there, Nana!!
If I found a coin like that, I think I would take all my md'ing buddies out to dinner!! Hint, hint..... ::)

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the awesome capped bust dime, nice looking old coin. HH, Mike

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
i cant stop looking at it!! :o ;D
same here VEEEEEEEEEEEERYYYYYYYYYYY cool
couldnt of happened to a nicer gal
i cant find a buff for my life ive got a sheild and a V ........

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
You are no longer allowed to complain about not finding "older" coins........ever.

Seriously, VERY cool, nana, I'm still lookin' forward to a good sized seated.

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
great old dime Nana. It's one that on my list (ANY bust coin would do!)

History is brought to bear when we find coin of such age:

Events of 1827

January - March
February 20 - South America: Battle of Ituzaingo or Passo do Rosário - A force of the Brazilian Imperial Army meets in combat Argentinean-Uruguayan troops.
February 28 - The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad is incorporated, becoming the first railroad in America offering commercial transportation of both people and freight.
March 4 - The Sigma Phi Society is founded on the campus of Union College in Schenectady, New York.
March 7 - Brazilian marines sail up the Rio Negro (Argentina) and attack the temporary naval base of Carmen de Patagones, Argentina. They are defeated by the local citizens.
March 7 - Shrigley Abduction: Ellen Turner, a wealthy heiress in Cheshire, England is abducted by Edward Gibbon Wakefield, the future politician in colonial New Zealand.
March 16 - Freedom's Journal, the first African-American owned and published newspaper in the United States, is founded in New York City by John Russwurm.

April - June
April - Ottoman Algeria: Husain Dei slaps the French consul Decalina on the face, eventually leading to war and French rule in Algeria.
April 7-8 - Battle of Monte Santiago: Naval engagement between a squadron of the Brazilian Imperial Navy and Argentinean vessels. Major Brazilian victory.
April 10 - UK: George Canning succeeds Lord Liverpool as British Prime Minister.
April 24 - Battle of Phaleron during Greek War of Independence
May 21 - The Maryland Democratic Party is founded by supporters of Andrew Jackson in Baltimore and hosts its first meeting at the Baltimore Atheneum.

July - September
July 6 - Greek War of Independence: Treaty of London between France, Britain, and Russia, to demand that the Turks agree to an armistice in Greece.
July 14 - Kingdom of Hawaii: Diocese of Honolulu founded.
August 31 - UK: Frederick John Robinson, 1st Viscount Goderich becomes Prime Minister of the UK following the death of George Canning.
September 22 - Joseph Smith Jr. obtains the Book of Mormon, for him to translate.

October - December

Naval Battle of Navarino by CarnerayOctober 1 - Russo-Persian War, 1826-1828: The Russians under Ivan Paskevich storm Yerevan, ending a millennium of Muslim domination in Eastern Armenia.
October 20 - Greek War of Independence: Battle of Navarino. British, French, and Russian Naval Forces destroy the Turko-Egyptian fleet in Greece.

Undated events
Laos: King Anouvong of Vientiane declares war on Siam and successfully attacks Nakhon Ratchasima, the Siamese later invaded Vientiane and nearly destroyed the whole city.
Finland: Great Fire of Turku.
Englishman John Walker invents Lucifer matches.
Egypt: Establishment of Cairo University School of Medicine as the first African School of medicine and in middle east.

diggitdoggie

Sep 26, 2006
Ohio
Nana
What can be said that hasn't been? Heck, it bears repeating.. :)
Congrats on a truly beautiful, awe-inspiring find! :o
Couldn't have happened to a sweeter lady.
WTG!
;D
DD

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! That would make my whole year. I wish I could view it. Is there a way to open the red X. Congratulations!!!!!!........Steve

carolinachief

Oct 31, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana,

Great find. I know the feeling. My second silver dime ever was an 1821 capped bust. It is still my oldest coin find. They are super. Hunt it hard there.

davidco

Jun 10, 2007
South Australia
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Xterra70,GP3500,Tesoro Tigershark.
Thats one nice looking old girl you have there! Great find!!!

cheers and happy hunting

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
What a great hobby,you just never know ;D

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Nana. It don't get much better than that.
HH
Ken

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
Nana,did you move to another state? I assume you did because we don't find coins that old in Alabama.Just kidding! In my 30 years of detecting in Alabama I've never found a coin that old! You rock!

R

RUDY2003

That is beautiful Nana!!!!!
Outstanding diggs with outstanding results.
Congradulations.....

Keep safe and keep diggin'...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread