Was about to throw in the towel.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Well the last few hunts I went on haven't turned out too good. So tonight I borrowed baldingboy's XLT and took my Deleon and my daughters Discovery 1100 out to a local middle school. My son came too. The three of us started detecting and I hadn't used the XLT much before but I found a nickel a dime and the key right off the bat. My son gave up after twenty minutes and went off to mess around on the playground. My daughter kept stealing a different part of my equipment each time I looked up so it was kind of a frustrating evening. But then I thought hey this is what makes MDing so much fun. It was about time I had a "good" night for me because I was just about to give up and sell my machine and find something different to do. I know to a lot of you what I found would be a waste of time and effort but to me and my daughter it was a lot of fun. She found 4 dimes, two nickels a quarter and 4 pennies not pictured here. So all-in-all not a bad night and a little reinforcement that this is a great hobby.

Attachments

• cjms.JPG
    cjms.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,103
Upvote 0

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Sounds like the daughter is really getting into it. Pretty good finds, both of you.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
As long as I have been at this it is always a good time just to be out swingin. I know there are those of us who specialize in certain areas of this sport, and they are having a blast at what they love. It is all good!!!

My interests are so broad that every avenue of this hobby is as good as any. I love finding the old coins and nice jewelry, but when that is not happening for me, I get into looking for everything else. Materials that can be turned into jewelry or sold for scrap value such as copper, brass, bronze, lead and even aluminum are seperated and saved. Other items I like finding include bottles, pieces of odd glass, bone, stones, etc. I even drag home driftwood and the like. I was at the beach once without having any luck, when I began finding lead in an area of ledge. By the time I stopped, I had over 6 lbs. of various types of sinkers (some handmade antiques).

You have some great looking stuff there! You got out with the kids! It made you think! You learned! It was a great success!!

Good luck on your future digs!............&.............HH

checkmate

Jun 6, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace 100
All in all, it looks that you have had a good hunt. The key and the golf ball, just gos to show that you never know what you will find. So stick with it. You probable were not even there that long ether, and you came back with some good stuff.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt with the kids! I found a square nail yesterday and a few pieces of iron near a Celtic fortress built around 400 BC, LOL. HH, Mike

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Lets hope you never throw the towel in. You get out looking for fun and enjoying yourself and sometimes that isn't easy. I went to Florida with the intent of finding gold and all I found was a great time with my family, lots of sun, 17 bucks in clad and some great memories. When I usually get frustrated I change pace and hunt for something different. This year I have spent little time hunting for older coins and have over 3300 coins. I would prefer to have a few hundred coins and a ton of the old ones, but bought the Ace 250 and have enjoyed playing with it at the tot lots and my Minelabs have seen little action in the last three months. I've lined up three or four promising sites for later in the year because right now the ground is so dry it makes digging too noticeable in these spots and don't want to ruin other opertunities because of this, so the Ace will just fill my pouch with clad for now. This is such a great hobby with so many options or variables for us. Dig clad, dig older, hunt relics, water hunt. You just never know what will pop out of the ground and its a family hobby as well(well, not sure my g/f thinks this). My dad hunts, my sister, her son, her grandson. At times both of my sons have "hit the dirt" with dad. So don't throw in the towel, just change your direction!!

mobrigade

Feb 23, 2005
Missouri
Your hall is as good as any, as long as it makes you happy. Don't give up! I gurantee if you take that same machine and attitude to an older home, you will find silver. Thanks for sharing.

diggitdoggie

Sep 26, 2006
Ohio
Don't be too hasty to throw in any towels..
Everyone has their own reasons for mding, some are coin collectors, some are relic hunters, etc.
Some of us just love spending the time out digging holes. (Personally I think it is over-compensation for all those times my parents told me not to play in the dirt. ;))
Enjoy the time you are out there making memories; when you get down to it that's the real treasure in life anyway. ;D
DD

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
it not about the get rich quick stuff---glad to see your having fun---yes detecting with kids can be tough---seems the daughter is a bit older or into it --thats ok MDing is not for everyone ---it might be the special thing that you share with her---all finds with your kids are good finds --they don't have to be gold or silver ---"finding" time with them ---getting kids to spend time with you and them actually enjoying it these days is more rare than gold----Ivan

R

RUDY2003

Findin' time with the kids is a very important thing nowadays. With whatever you do, do it with them cause time with them is fleeting at best....

Keep safe and keep diggin'...

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
it not about the get rich quick stuff---glad to see your having fun---yes detecting with kids can be tough---seems the daughter is a bit older or into it --thats ok MDing is not for everyone ---it might be the special thing that you share with her---all finds with your kids are good finds --they don't have to be gold or silver ---"finding" time with them ---getting kids to spend time with you and them actually enjoying it these days is more rare than gold----Ivan

Amen! Couldn't have said it better! And ya never know what you're gonna dig up next~! :)

Congrats on ALL those finds! :) Nana

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana40 said:
ivan salis said:

Amen! Couldn't have said it better! And ya never know what you're gonna dig up next~! :)

Congrats on ALL those finds! :) Nana

Yeah, she proved that with that awesome dime... Nice finds on the outing with the kids. Have fun!

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I take my son and daughter once in a while....I have one wear headphones and the other swing...with my help. They like it as long as they are finding stuff! ;D Glad you were able to have an enjoyable evening. ;)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know what you mean....This year for X-Mas my "little man" will be getting his own,the coin's are good becuse money can buy toy's ;) Sound's like a Great time!!!!Keep at it....

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
glad your not throwing in the towel , i have always dreamed of finding a high dollar ring or a rare coin thats worth alot but i know that it could happen but it hasnt yet , so i keep swinging and just pulling up clad is fun for me, and by chance i get a wheat or a merc pulled up it makes me holler yippy ! so dont give up just look around for a new place where treasure might be and enjoy the hunt ;)

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for one don't consider your finds a waste of time Mastereagle. If I looked at it that way I would not be detecting. I never find old coins, have found no gold, and very little silver. But I extremely enjoy detecting. Just being out in nature, being with friends or family makes detecting fun for me.
Keep on hunting! ;D

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
A special thank you to each and everyone of you that have replied. I guess I just lost my focus for a while there and forgot I was supposed to be having fun!

I have corrected my craniorectal inversion now and I am back on track!!!

Thanks ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D ;D ;D ;D

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
All of us, at one time or another, have considered "throwing in the towel". I know I certainly have! But.... for some reason or other I keep going. I get as much joy out of finding some of the Junk I find as finding anything else. I don't find diamond rings (or at least haven't yet), I don't find gold nuggets, I've never found an IH penny, a standing liberty or sitting liberty coin, never found a barber anything or a large cent. Never found any old coin except for a very few wheatie pennies and three merc dimes. I have days when I go out and only find 22 cents but drove 25 miles to do it! When I am not finding much I wonder why the heck am I out here walking around, digging, and doing it again and again and again. Why? Because...... you never know......... and because I like it and most of all..... because of the encouragement of the gng's on this board. You keep at it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread