Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all hope you are having a great 2016... this is one of the best things i have ever found.. i guess i need to be more clear it was found 4/6/16 in Pa near Philadelphia.....its solid sand cast brass no identifying markers... it was found at a spot where 1,000 revolutionary war soldiers encamped, and in 1863 600 civil war soldiers encamped there it was also a civil war hospital site for wounded from Gettysburg... im gonna say the item is civil war era .. but a person from the UK says its 1770's British style which would be even more awsome.
I can just imagine the history that this piece has seen. it was very deep bsaw1.jpg

Attachments

• bone saw fr 1.jpg
    bone saw fr 1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
Upvote 33

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! That is incredible! It gives my goose bumps just thinking about it's use. I'm so glad I live in the age that I do!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, CC hit it on the head. It is a very unique piece of history, but I bet holding it gives you some weird feelings. Congrats.

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I found it i thought it was a primitive toy gun I had no idea what it was ... someone on facebook contacted me and told me what it was i was in shock...
Yeah, CC hit it on the head. It is a very unique piece of history, but I bet holding it gives you some weird feelings. Congrats.

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wicked!! That's something on my bucket list. I would take it to an antique dealer to get in touch with someone who specializes in medical antiques. They would be able to more accurately identify it.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find indeed, great i.d. of it too, very cool

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't want to hear that thing talk if it could. Awesome find

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ty guys it crazy whats out there... its will now have prominent spot in my displays :)

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't be surprised if you end up digging a few "pain bullets" in the same general area. :thumbsup:
Frightening piece of history right there, many men died as a result of that un-sanitized thing cutting their limbs off... probably alot of ghosts hanging out around that saw. Banner?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm voting. It's a specific unique part of war from that time.Were any other relics associated with it? The hospital here threw the limbs
in the tn river for the turtles. People have dove and found them. Teeth were fragile back then and a lead bullet might crack every tooth you had.They often used just a stick or leather if they had it. They did have chloroform some armies more than others..
Intriguing find

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Wow

That is a awesome piece of history jd. If that saw could talk I bet it would be painful. I know i wouldn't want it used on me

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. I'd take it to Fredrick md they have a civil war medical museum

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi there yes i found more items in that spot i have band practice tonite and im about to leave for it, i will try to post some of the finds either tonite or tomorrow ty .....
Wouldn't be surprised if you end up digging a few "pain bullets" in the same general area. :thumbsup:
Frightening piece of history right there, many men died as a result of that un-sanitized thing cutting their limbs off... probably alot of ghosts hanging out around that saw. Banner?

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find with amazing history. I bet that gave a heck of a signal in your headphones.

FFARL

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. That creepy as heck and just as cool. Congrats!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an awesome find!

It gives me the creeps though, just think about all of the misery that thing has seen.

Congrats.

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was an iffy signal because it was so deep it was a surprise for sure, the area has been detected for some time and big things are hard to come by anymore there, but i guess you gotta get your coil over the right spot...it was long ways from handle to tip in the ground the top of the handle was about 8 in. down i saw it was round so i just put my fingers in the handles hole and pulled up it came out im looking at and thought wowo how did a kids toy gun get here lol lol...
Amazing find with amazing history. I bet that gave a heck of a signal in your headphones.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is amazing!! Makes you think dosent it? The realaty of what they went through is mind boggling.

HH, Relic Nut

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread