Silver Washington, 3 Wheat Pocket Spill & Flat Button; Omega Does Not Disappoint.....

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver Washington, 3 Wheat Pocket Spill & Flat Button; Omega Does Not Disappoint.....

So I went back to my pounded field after work for a quick hunt. Not fifteen minutes in I got one of those beautiful high hits and dug a nice 1957 silver Washington.....

1957 Washington Quarter, 3 Wheat Sill & Flat Button April 8 2016 001.JPG 1957 Washington Quarter, 3 Wheat Sill & Flat Button April 8 2016 002.JPG

Well that find automatically made it a good hunt so I was happy no matter what happened afterward. I almost can't believe I've been hunting this site for two years and missed this one. It was only maybe 4 inches down in an area I've swung over 100 times.

So as usual I wandered around, dug some trash, pull tabs and a little clad. Just before dark I got a really bouncy hit which I always dig 'cause you just never know what might turn up.

I lifted the plug and saw another hunk of can slaw. I moved it and re checked the hole. I was now getting super high hits. I was hoping for silver but instead, I realized I had come across an old Wheatie pocket spill UNDER the can slaw which explains the bouncy signal. There's a 1920, a 1941 and a 1936. They're in rough shape but as I've mentioned before, the soil in my area is quite unkind to copper. One of them is perfectly smooth on the reverse.

So then; not two feet from the Wheatie spill I dug an old flat button.....

1957 Washington Quarter, 3 Wheat Sill & Flat Button April 8 2016 003.JPG

I can only make out the word "Gilt" on it so far but I'll let it soak in the oil and try and make out the rest in a few days. It was just about dark and pretty chilly by the time I found the button so I wrapped it up and walked away very pleased.

I've found silver three out of the last three hunts; a 1920 Merc' and a silver medal, today's '57 Washington and a small Sterling ID bracelet I dug last night. I haven't posted pics of the bracelet because it has a guy's name and a D.C. address on it. So far I haven't had any luck locating the owner but I'll keep trying. It could have been dropped 60 years ago for all I know.

I'm feeling like the Omega has really put me in a whole new league and seems to really love silver. It's like all of my old "hunted out" sites are new again with this machine. I'm truly loving hunting with it.

That's it for now.
Thanks for looking and HH.....

Last edited:
Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread