🥇 BANNER Colonial Watering hole deja vu ...ANOTHER EARLY SILVER RING...AND CHECK THIS ONE OUT!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am a sad but dedicated soul. It was cold and windy (30mph sustained winds) this morning, but the water temps are warmer then the air, so I said "lets roll."

It was downright miserable and I probably was second guessing myself every minute until I made it back to the same hole that produced the other early silver ring and cob that I recovered earlier this week. As soon as I declined down into it I heard an iffy signal and after a few minutes of work on the bottom, up surfaced this beauty! Another early silver hand-etched ring! This one has overlapping hearts and similar etchings as the one that I recovered earlier in the week. I have to believe they belonged to the same person as they were 5' apart and are very similar in design and construction. I did have my first ring verified that it was no newer than 1700s and most likely 1600's with a chance of 1400-1500s. One person even said earlier than that. I was stunned to say the least and my hearts "pun intended" warmed my body! ha ha

After that excitement, the cold set back in and a few additional finds surfaced before I finally called it quits...it even snowed on me...I mean really?

Other finds include a civil war eagle cuff button, a colonial flat button another civil war three ringer and a handful of other 1700-1600's lead musket balls and shot. This site had a small amount of civil war activity which is why a random CW find is made from time to time, but the vast majority is 1700s-1600s with the mean date being the late 1600's.

I thought I had another cob, but it turned out to be a piece of pewter that read fairly high.

I am stoked on the rings as they might be my best finds of the summer and a pair that will display nice together!

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    988 KB · Views: 721
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 629
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    342.6 KB · Views: 583
  • 1da.JPG
    1da.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 567
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    382.4 KB · Views: 655
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    768.5 KB · Views: 504
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    744.3 KB · Views: 467
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    560.4 KB · Views: 507
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 557
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    366.5 KB · Views: 558
Upvote 76
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Colonial Watering hole deja vu ...ANOTHER EARLY SILVER RING...AND CHECK THIS ...

Oh my goodness Dan?! I wound venture to say a matching pair? Is the sizing the same?

Dan, I'm so friggin' jealous on that first ring but two?!?! I'm so happy you found the match (IMHO). In my limited experience in rings I would say it's same period and are both likely 1600-early 1700's. Wow, I have to vote banner. Seriously, wow, I hope others feel the same.

Steve

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. No doubt the lead has been in the water. It will look like it was dropped yesterday. The rings are super . It was cherry spot I am thinking any of those targets were pretty high on the scale :thumbsup: Nice hunt Dan!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Banner vote just sent. Never seen one of these posted before, and 2 from the same site make these finds incredibly rare and intriguing. WTG man!!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my goodness Dan?! I wound venture to say a matching pair? Is the sizing the same?

Dan, I'm so friggin' jealous on that first ring but two?!?! I'm so happy you found the match (IMHO). In my limited experience in rings I would say it's same period and are both likely 1600-early 1700's. Wow, I have to vote banner. Seriously, wow, I hope others feel the same.

Steve

Thanks man. The sizes are close but a little different which would not surprise me as multiple fngers was the trend during that period. Considering the amount of items I have pulled from this place over the years and these are the only two rings of this kind to surface (really rings period other than a brass band or two) and with them being 5' apart, ID say they belonged to the same owner.

They really are cool and will display well together and truly are works of art.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve

Thanks. It still will keep producing and has a few more exciting finds out there waiting to be made.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner vote just sent. Never seen one of these posted before, and 2 from the same site make these finds incredibly rare and intriguing. WTG man!!

Thanks man...they are indeed cool finds and can't wait to show them to you in person ... Even more cool to hold.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your other finds are neat in and of themselves, but the two handmade, hand-etched rings are fantastic finds. I love the artifacts with a story and these are great ones. The only thing better would be to be able to find out who they belonged to, or the family that lived there during that period. But my imagination can easily fill in the blanks with them as they are.
I think they are Banner worthy as is, your date verification makes them a lock as far as I am concerned. (As good as gold, better to me) Great to see them! Great recovery! HH.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your other finds are neat in and of themselves, but the two handmade, hand-etched rings are fantastic finds. I love the artifacts with a story and these are great ones. The only thing better would be to be able to find out who they belonged to, or the family that lived there during that period. But my imagination can easily fill in the blanks with them as they are.
I think they are Banner worthy as is, your date verification makes them a lock as far as I am concerned. (As good as gold, better to me) Great to see them! Great recovery! HH.

Thanks man. This was a wharf site so could be from those that lived at the house above, or the sailor that left London, Cadiz, etc for the new world.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't read through this thread, so not sure if time frame has been mentioned... assume into the 1800s, maybe well into them... but regardless of that they are both fantastic finds.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't read through this thread, so not sure if time frame has been mentioned... assume into the 1800s, maybe well into them... but regardless of that they are both fantastic finds.

Iron, they are 1600's and perhaps earlier. Though I suspect 1600s to early 1700s

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crud Dan, those belong in a museum! My vote is going in right now.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan - Congrats on a 2nd ring! :notworthy: While it's not the same thing, the hearts design on your ring reminds me of the 17thC Charles II marriage commemoration buttons that are found in England. I think the style of a two hearts design might have been a trend supporting your date - 17th century. The buttons can be see have way down the page for the attached link - Colchester Treasure Hunting.

Silverbuttons

Fantastic Find x's 2. Is this a fresh water source? If it was salt water, did you have silver sulfide that needed removing? The rings weathered the elements so well, I should reconsider some salt water sites up my way.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan - Congrats on a 2nd ring! :notworthy: While it's not the same thing, the hearts design on your ring reminds me of the 17thC Charles II marriage commemoration buttons that are found in England. I think the style of a two hearts design might have been a trend supporting your date - 17th century. The buttons can be see have way down the page for the attached link - Colchester Treasure Hunting.

Silverbuttons

Fantastic Find x's 2. Is this a fresh water source? If it was salt water, did you have silver sulfide that needed removing? The rings weathered the elements so well, I should reconsider some salt water sites up my way.

I actually was thinking the same about the coronation meaning, but was not 100% sure.

I will shoot you a PM about the other info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions