🥇 BANNER Colonial Watering hole deja vu ...ANOTHER EARLY SILVER RING...AND CHECK THIS ONE OUT!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am a sad but dedicated soul. It was cold and windy (30mph sustained winds) this morning, but the water temps are warmer then the air, so I said "lets roll."

It was downright miserable and I probably was second guessing myself every minute until I made it back to the same hole that produced the other early silver ring and cob that I recovered earlier this week. As soon as I declined down into it I heard an iffy signal and after a few minutes of work on the bottom, up surfaced this beauty! Another early silver hand-etched ring! This one has overlapping hearts and similar etchings as the one that I recovered earlier in the week. I have to believe they belonged to the same person as they were 5' apart and are very similar in design and construction. I did have my first ring verified that it was no newer than 1700s and most likely 1600's with a chance of 1400-1500s. One person even said earlier than that. I was stunned to say the least and my hearts "pun intended" warmed my body! ha ha

After that excitement, the cold set back in and a few additional finds surfaced before I finally called it quits...it even snowed on me...I mean really?

Other finds include a civil war eagle cuff button, a colonial flat button another civil war three ringer and a handful of other 1700-1600's lead musket balls and shot. This site had a small amount of civil war activity which is why a random CW find is made from time to time, but the vast majority is 1700s-1600s with the mean date being the late 1600's.

I thought I had another cob, but it turned out to be a piece of pewter that read fairly high.

I am stoked on the rings as they might be my best finds of the summer and a pair that will display nice together!

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    988 KB · Views: 719
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 629
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    342.6 KB · Views: 583
  • 1da.JPG
    1da.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 567
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    382.4 KB · Views: 655
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    366.5 KB · Views: 558
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 557
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    560.4 KB · Views: 507
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    744.3 KB · Views: 467
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    768.5 KB · Views: 504
Upvote 76

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such old personable finds like this really get your blood pumping. SO COOL!

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is sweet!!!d2

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful finds! Great work

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring is a real beauty, congrats

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible, banner for those rings! Each one is banner worthy, together they are absolutely amazing!

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very very cool finds. I agree with villagenut, such personal relics are so great to find. Big congrats!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely fantastic Dan! I like this one even more than the first one and I didn't think that was possible. I also ventured out for a few hours in the snow, rain and FREEZING wind, but only came back with 1 rose head, 1 pewter button and 1 musket ball... It was a bust... I had plans to sift, but the ground was too wet.

I voted for the last one, and I'm voting for this one. I see these rings as colonial art, engraved into silver by hand and completely unique. I'm sure they have quite a story to tell as well. Just top notch finds to me man. Now go find the matching bracelet. :laughing7:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's crazy to find a companion ring, especially so close to where the other one was found. Had to have been lost by the same person. That's 2 amazing finds man, and hopefully that second one with its unique features can help you date these. Great job too on fighting the elements to make these incredible recoveries.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely fantastic Dan! I like this one even more than the first one and I didn't think that was possible. I also ventured out for a few hours in the snow, rain and FREEZING wind, but only came back with 1 rose head, 1 pewter button and 1 musket ball... It was a bust... I had plans to sift, but the ground was too wet.

I voted for the last one, and I'm voting for this one. I see these rings as colonial art, engraved into silver by hand and completely unique. I'm sure they have quite a story to tell as well. Just top notch finds to me man. Now go find the matching bracelet. :laughing7:

Thanks man, I like them. I about froze to death but was worth it. Appreciate the kind words

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's crazy to find a companion ring, especially so close to where the other one was found. Had to have been lost by the same person. That's 2 amazing finds man, and hopefully that second one with its unique features can help you date these. Great job too on fighting the elements to make these incredible recoveries.

Yea man, I actually think combined they might be my favorite find from this site to date. Get a set suit and come join me!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are the odds that you would find two of those rings. Congratulations on an outstanding pair of unique finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread