🥇 BANNER Dug Up a VERY OLD Gumball Machine - And It Was Filled with Coins!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly one of the more unique treasures I've found this year. A 70+ year old buried gumball machine that's clearly been in the ground for a very VERY long time. Still had a nickle in the slot from the very last customer that tried to use it long ago. Watch the live "cracking open" video of me revealing the cache of coins that was within.

In total there were 17 US nickles, a US Wheat Cent, and a South American "5 Centavo". Most of the coins are buffalo nickles, there are a few Jefferson nickles - a couple appearing to be of the silver "War" variety, the 5 Centavo's date of 1920 is very clear to see. One of the US nickles remains in the coin mechanism slot which I removed from the machine and brought home. I'm planning to leave this nickle in place due to its uniqueness.

Initial find - before opening:

Video of the opening (must watch):

gumball machine.jpg 20160414_105445.jpg
20160414_105528.jpg 20160414_105725.jpg

The washed but still "uncleaned" coins, war nickles are the darker ones to the bottom right:
20160414_172335.jpg 20160414_172346.jpg

The 1920 5 Centavo can be seen on the upper left and a Buffalo to the right of it:
20160414_172406.jpg

Will update this post when I'm able to clean the coins more and/or reveal any more details about them. :thumbsup:

Update 9:45PM!! Conservation of the coins is going AMAZING!! Not only are the coins cleaning up well - but even the dates on the BUFFALO NICKLES are visible! Not only that but I've found a coin that I have yet to identify that is dated 1876! Not sure what it is yet!! The process is slow but the results are fantastic so far!

Some of the newly conserved coins:
Conserved.jpg

Contrast between the conserved and non-conserved coins:
Cleaned 2.jpg

Just confirmed, this "mystery coin" is infact an 1876 Imperial German 5 Pfennig:
1876 Coin.jpg

Looks like I found silver in this machine after all!
My suspicions have been confirmed - a 1943 silver war nickle! :D
War Nickle Baby!.jpg

Silver War Nickle #2! 1945-P! ;D
War Nickle #2.jpg

No way!! Nearly every Jefferson Nickle from the machine is Silver!!
Yet another 1945-P Silver War Nickle! (Note I am posting these as I clean them) :icon_pirat:
War Nickle #3.jpg

Okay, the grand total is in - out of the 9 Jefferson Nickles in the machine 6 were Silver War Nickles!
War Nickles 7.jpg

The newest coin in the lot was this 1946 Jefferson Nickle, meaning the machine likely went out of service around this year:
1946 junker.jpg

Cleaned coins so far include a 1941 Penny, a 1926 Buffalo, 1920 Cuban 5 Centavo, an 1876 Imperial German 5 Pfennig, three 1943-P silver War Nickle, two 1945-P silver War Nickles, one "S" silver War Nickle date unknown, a 1939 Jefferson Nickle, a 1946 Jefferson Nickle, and a 1925 Buffalo. Conservation is still underway for all the coins so expect more updates soon. I've been using a new technique that I will share to all those interested in cleaning coins considered "toasted".

Last edited:
Upvote 83

Reelsnrods

Feb 13, 2013
Nantucket
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So cool! We all dream of digging up a treasure chest on the beach...

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Be careful!" "some are valuable!!"

Loving the comments.

This is a crazy awesome find. Glad you tumbled 'em. The value is in 'the find', not the scarcity or condition of the coins people. haha

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is awesome! Such a cool and unique find. Enjoyed the video of cracking into it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ha! Not only a gumball machine , but old enough for some great goodies in coin content.
Way neat find.
Congrats!

Banner vote for sure.

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! That is the most interesting find I've seen in a while! The funny thing is that I would not have dug it. It would have been too big of a hit, I would have skipped right on past it!

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. Was wondering why you broke the bottom out, when the top was open? Nice find:thumbsup:

:laughing7: Before I cracked it open I had figured the coin holder area would have been separated by a partition to separate it from the gumball holder on top. When the machine was in use I'm sure this partition would have been in place, but after over half a century in the ground it rusted away. In hindsight it seems obvious, but who has ever experienced the science of opening a buried gumball machine :tongue3:?

Also most of the coins were concreted to the metal on the bottom and on the sides, if I hadn't hit the bottom of the machine most of the coins would have never dislodged. But you make a great point and I was actually thinking about this same question in the car ride home yesterday :thumbsup:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very unique------------------------it gets my Banner vote.
Marvin

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I cringed watching you get your dirty, oily fingers all over those sandy coins. Try a plastic container of clean water, and a squeeze bulb on coins like that next time to prevent damaging them when you clean the sand off them off. Take them home in a paper (not plastic) bag.

Surely you can't be serious. These coins are so far beyond gone and have absolutely no value. If this makes you cringe you probably won't want to see some of the real coin tragedies that happen on this site from time to time.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely one of the most unique and entertaining finds that I've seen in a while. You consistently come up with some of the most unusual and many times valuable finds. Always look forward to your next post.

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find brother. Never seen anything like that before. Thanks for sharing.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
very cool find, better than the old safes that are found
yours actually had money LOL

banner for sure

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loved it. Now if we could just find a few parking meters :thumbsup:. Like the way you opened it with that pipe on site. I like everyone else have not had much success cleaning nickels.
Fun find and video!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just when I think I've seen it all. Can't help but wonder what the signal sounded like. Had to be a weird one. Thanks for sharing.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
UMiner
Never saw that before made me smile ,never thought about it as a target...so cool and different my Banner is in !
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread