5 Little Mercs, 26 Wheaties, Silver Ring...

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

I had some success detecting a couple of new places local to me yesterday. I went out with a few of my md'ing buddies, and we all got some silver. One of the places I detected at was established around 1905, and that's where I found the US button at around 8". Does anyone know if this is a Civil War relic?? I've only found 1 other relic from the CW here in S. CA. The silver ring is a very interesting design, but I wouldn't wear something like that.. ???

All the items in my pic are deep turf finds using an Explorer SE with stock coil.

Total Oldies:
5 Merc Dimes ('38, '42(2), '45(2))
26 Wheaties (incl. '16, '17(2), '19)
1 .925 ring
1 US button

Thanks for looking,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_1203 (1500 x 1125).jpg
    IMG_1203 (1500 x 1125).jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 555
Upvote 0

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Captain, how deep were the Mercs? Also, were they a crisp sound?

You always seem to find the deep silver, but I find it hard to believe that every silver coin you dig is around 7-9". The sink rate in California must be super quick.

HH!

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
;D

KirkPA said:
Captain, how deep were the Mercs? Also, were they a crisp sound?

You always seem to find the deep silver, but I find it hard to believe that every silver coin you dig is around 7-9". The sink rate in California must be super quick.

HH!

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
KirkPA,

don't doubt! i hunted with this guy for twelve hours yesterday. we've hunted many times in the past, as well. i've seen a lot of his silver come out of the ground. believe me, they're consistently deep.

i see you have an old whites...have you ever used an explorer? i have just started using one recently,and my hand has never been more sore. i have dug more coins past 6 inches than ever. i recently traded my GTI 2500 for an explorer, and i'm amazed at this "deep new world" that has opened up for me. i dug many 7-8" coins yesterday, and they were all high toned, perfectly ID'd signals. and so did the captain. i've hunted with him enough times for me to be able to tell you that his posts are 100% truthful...and not exaggerated. the guy's got skills!

HH,

Mike

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
oknorom said:
KirkPA,

don't doubt! i hunted with this guy for twelve hours yesterday. we've hunted many times in the past, as well. i've seen a lot of his silver come out of the ground. believe me, they're consistently deep.

i see you have an old whites...have you ever used an explorer? i have just started using one recently,and my hand has never been more sore. i have dug more coins past 6 inches than ever. i recently traded my GTI 2500 for an explorer, and i'm amazed at this "deep new world" that has opened up for me. i dug many 7-8" coins yesterday, and they were all high toned, perfectly ID'd signals. and so did the captain. i've hunted with him enough times for me to be able to tell you that his posts are 100% truthful...and not exaggerated. the guy's got skills!

HH,

Mike

Thanks, Mike!!! Great hunting with you yesterday. Man, you did so well with that Explorer of yours. What was your final count??
Can't believe how many dis-believers are on this forum, huh??
I've been consistently finding the oldies here in CA this year...and trust me, all the parks here do not have silver coins in them under 6". Okay, you might find a few gimmes in turf that's been turned over recently. You know how long a sunray X1 probe is??? It's 9 inches, and some of the mercs I pulled out of the ground yesterday were the length of my probe. I placed the probe in my hole and the top of it was even with the end of the probe.

Hey, M-squared, you've detected a lot of parks here in my area. Isn't it true about the depth of the silver coins here??

Thanks "downindixie" for your identification of the collar brass... ;)

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
hey! vitamin water! buy a candy bar!

Dan,

My final count was three mercs, four rosies, silver ring, 41 wheats. my left palm is mega sore. i'm gonna go back to "that park". i don't think anyone will pay us any mind. we'll just stay over on the east side. most of the oldies are over there anyway.

good hunt yesterday! see you next week.

Mike

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
oknorom said:
hey! vitamin water! buy a candy bar!

Dan,

My final count was three mercs, four rosies, silver ring, 41 wheats. my left palm is mega sore. i'm gonna go back to "that park". i don't think anyone will pay us any mind. we'll just stay over on the east side. most of the oldies are over there anyway.

good hunt yesterday! see you next week.

Mike

41 wheats??? I can see why your hands are so sore today. Awesome!!!

note: drinking vitamin water causes diabetes, I was told yesterday by a lady trying to sell us candy bars and other sweets. That was priceless.... ;D ;D

Dan

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
I am not doubting his skills. It just seems unrealistic that every coin you find is super deep. Personally, I have noticed that most of the old coins won't sink deeper than 6. Last year, my deepest coin was an IH at 7.5". But, this area must have been re-sodded. Other than the IH, I dug an 1853 3-cent wilver piece at 6" and an 1854 dime at 6". But, most of the times, I only need to dig 4" to find that nice, old coin.

HH!

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
KirkPA said:
I am not doubting his skills. It just seems unrealistic that every coin you find is super deep. Personally, I have noticed that most of the old coins won't sink deeper than 6. Last year, my deepest coin was an IH at 7.5". But, this area must have been re-sodded. Other than the IH, I dug an 1853 3-cent wilver piece at 6" and an 1854 dime at 6". But, most of the times, I only need to dig 4" to find that nice, old coin.

HH!

Thanks, KirkPA. 90% of the silver I've found this year so far has been in parks in S. CA, where sprinkler systems water the turf here almost everyday. Because of this and the soil mineralization, a lot of my silver comes up oxidized and pitted, but then others come up looking as good as the day they were dropped. Md'ers expecting to find silver in the turf here under 6" will be out of luck. Last week, I found a few silver next to a lake with hard-packed clay/gravel around it at 3-4", but definitely not in the turf here. Heck, I wish all the old coins were averaging only 4" deep here....but then again if they were they would have been found long ago...places here get pounded to death by the "clad mongers".

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
hi kirk,

first of all, let me say, i am jealous that you live in an area of the country where super old coins abound. it's hard here in ca. to find seateds. most seateds and things like that are found in old demos out here.

not sure why the old coins are deep in our area, but they are. when we go hunting, our main objective is to find as little clad, and as many oldies as possible. there surely are some old coins mixed in at the clad level, but i don't want to dig all that 3-4" clad to MAYBE get a wheat or silver dime. so we focus on signals that are at least halfway down on the depth meter, and halfway down on the explorer is 6 inches. there is not a shortage of 6"+ signals where we hunt. many, many are 7-9". there are parks that we believe have a deep strata that contains barbers and seateds, but they're just out of reach, probably down around 10" and deeper.

there was a scrape at a san francisco park last year, and some forumites from the kinzli's forum were able to hunt it. the scrapes were DEEP, maybe 10-12". and they were finding seateds at 2-5" in the scrape! that means that before the scrape, the coins were down 12-17" in the turf.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Nice set of Mercs, Captn'.

Congratulations!

Ridley

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had LOTS of success yesterday! :o Congrats on alll that silver!!!!

Nana :)

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
I'm hunting one place now that on one side of the road the clad is 1" or less. On the other side of the road it is all coming from 3-4". I think maintenance has something to do with it. Like the 1/2 cent tour found.

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
KirkPA said:

HH!

The earthquakes shake them down deeper. ::)

Nice finds, Captn.

Mike

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in N. California and I dig state quarters at 6-8 inches deep! My yard gets like a swamp in the winter and like granite in the summer. I have yet to pull silver from my yard and it has beed there since the 50's. I think the silver is down about 2 feet where I'm at. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread