πŸ₯‡ BANNER fantastic 1640 8 reale cob found Im massachusetts.

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fantastic 1640 8 reale cob found I'm massachusetts.

Did some door knocking today first house first permission was told have at it after a couple hours and an indian, a barber dime ,and a merc. I started swinging near where they had the gas line marked that seemed like it eas dug at an earlier time, about 4 to 5 feet from the line i got a booming hit at about 4 inches and this was it .Not sure if it's real or not but got my heart pumping about the size of a half dollar kinda heavy and why would there have been a hole in it then filled

Attachments

• 1460932418599.jpg
    1460932418599.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 697
  • 1460932430315.jpg
    1460932430315.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 715
  • 1460932441750.jpg
    1460932441750.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 847
  • 1460932451606.jpg
    1460932451606.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 749
Last edited:
Upvote 68
OP
OP
plymouthian12

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fyrffytr1. A couple guys that belong to the club I'm in who are coin and colonial junkies have no doubt the one from last August is real I should clean it but to scared haha

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
8 reale cob. Only the second(I think) Ive seen on here. Bravo

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a second look, and more thought, I believe planchet flaw is the more likely, as if it were a plugged hole, meant to deceive someone, as suggested above it would have been a "better job", less noticeable.

Great find, I believe you got your first banner.
Big cobs, rare pretty much anywhere in random dirt.

Agreed, also the so called plug seems to be the same color as the coin - meaning it is likely not a plug at all but as you say a planchet flaw.
Evidence for this theory is strong - these early Spanish cob coins were literally made by pounding bricks of silver into crude shapes. It is highly likely that the silver planchets were often damaged during this crude hammering process. Then the flawed planchet was simply hammered with the coat of arms and cross of Spain since the mint never intended to make perfect coins. All cob coins are different and 99.9% are very crudely made - only a very rare type called a "cob royal" was ever produced to be perfectly round and uniform, the rest only needed to be the proper weight, that's it, details were not important at all. :thumbsup:

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin junkies? Colonial junkies? So says the beach hunter. I’m not a junky. I got really enjoy the recovery and identification of finds from that early period – just like your newly found piece-of-eight – such a fantastic coin. What a great coin! I need to find a coin like that. I must have a coin like that! :sad1: Get me some!! Somebody get me hooked up!!! Aggghhhhh! Give me some…But I digress. Back to my point – I’m not a junkie.

Not to get serious! Awesome find Ken. Absolutely Awesome! The shield design on your cob predates the pillar & waves design, so that's one really old coin. Shield design is 17th century; I believe no later 1652 or 1684 (depending on mints – Mexico or Peru). If you send pictures to Dan Sedwick (Google the name for contact info), he would probably provide some great insight, especially on the planchet flaw. See if you can edit the title of your thread so your excellent find doesn’t get missed. Man, you need a better title like, β€œKiller 8-Reale Find!”

I must finish this reply (need to get to work), so let me say – Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Easy banner vote.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWWWK, AWWWK, Pieces of eight, pieces of eight!! ( Long John Silver's parrot)

Rhode Hog

Jun 22, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Nice find Ken,i am not an expert (only seen one other) but it looks like the real thing to me.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Great cob! They are found much more frequently in the mis Atlantic area, but they certainly turn up at colonial New England sites, too.

OP
OP
plymouthian12

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a response from the guy Silver Tree Chaser told me about..... Thanks for showing me! The coin itself is pretty common and not very nice, actually, a Mexican 8 reales of Philip IV, ca. 1640. However, there is an interior plug that indicates its regulation and use in the colonial US in the late 1600s, something that I've only ever seen on cobs from the Feversham shipwreck of 1711 coming from New York City. These

Last edited:

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a response from the guy Silver Tree Chaser told me about..... Thanks for showing me! The coin itself is pretty common and not very nice, actually, a Mexican 8 reales of Philip IV, ca. 1640. However, there is an interior plug that indicates its regulation and use in the colonial US in the late 1600s, something that I've only ever seen on cobs from the Feversham shipwreck of 1711 coming from New York City. These

Very interesting information from Dan. Very cool that he can verify its use in colonial US and even connect it to a shipwreck from the same period. Don't take it personal that he said that this coin is common and not very nice. You have to understand that he is an expert on exotic coins from all around world and sees some of the finest and most rare coins available. I had him ID a hammered Morracan coin for me a couple of years ago and he pretty much said the same thing that is was common and had no value. Your 8 Reale cob is one of the best colonial coin finds that I've seen posted. I'm off to vote banner!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the club. I find half reale and one reale cobs around here with some frequency but the day I pulled out an 8 reale out of the dirt was surreal and I'm almost certain it will never happen again for me. Congrats!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is circa 1640 now your oldest coin?

A cob is still on my list & may remain there all my detecting career.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone who has 18 honorable mentions for returned rings deserves to find a coin this rare! Guess I'm going to have to believe in Karma now!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread