DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a few things I found this weekend. Wanted to post last night but my camera batteries died. Saturday was almost a miss. All I found was the old pair of pliers, one flat button, and a key plate. Did manage to sneak up on a few turkeys , If I would have been packing a 12 gauge instead of a machine I would probably been bringing one home , 015.JPG They made me out and are on the move 016.JPG ....... Had a little better day Sunday. I went to a early site that I have been hunting for a few years now for the first time since I got this new machine. Pulled some buttons a small early buckle, pewter barrel tap piece and what looks like a saddle shield? The shield was way on down there under one of those darn roots that tend to grow wide and deep down. Took me a good while to get to it, kind of lucky I didn't ding it. I know it is colonial because it has the typical construction of the period with the hooks on the back that crimped into the leather, but don't really know if it went to a saddle or not? Would appreciate any info. 001.JPG 012.JPG 014.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 006.JPG 019.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 6

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice to see you're still making great discoveries DI2.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Bud! I have no info on the shield but it sure is cool. Great find.[emoji106]

HH, Relic Nut

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Those saddle shields are extremely controversial in their ID..Nodody has produced a pic of one on a saddle and topics with dozens and dozens of replies have happened..
I have some and they usually only show up on early sites..That being said i also have a theory of them on the back of A "Frock" jacket to tie the long ends back..

~Blaze

Attachments

• 3f64254ed9b279d0ca834f6bc5be4c37.jpg
    3f64254ed9b279d0ca834f6bc5be4c37.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 1,034

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
I know it is colonial because it has the typical construction of the period with the hooks on the back that crimped into the leather, but don't really know if it went to a saddle or not? Would appreciate any info

These are early type (pre 1850's harness decorations ) , these were usually on a martingale or a "hameplate" . Earlier ones had solid iron studs to fasten on the thick leather , later thinner wire type fasteners were common .

here is a link to a bit of info (you might have to scroll down a bit to find it) Mandicrafts News & Views - Teddy Bears & Collectibles: Collecting - Horse Brass Harness Decorations

and also some examples of some hameplates HAMEPLATES - ******** THE COLLECTORS HORSE BRASSES

Attachments

• martingale.jpg
    martingale.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 730
  • hameplate.jpg
    hameplate.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 201

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, I would have just placed them in the Horse Harness decoration bracket.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those saddle shields are extremely controversial in their ID..Nodody has produced a pic of one on a saddle and topics with dozens and dozens of replies have happened..
I have some and they usually only show up on early sites..That being said i also have a theory of them on the back of A "Frock" jacket to tie the long ends back..

~Blaze
that is the first one I have came across . Thank you for posting that illustration. For the longest time I couldn't figure out what these where. these too came from the same site as the shield. View attachment 1301966 View attachment 1301967 I guess that is what they are now?

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are early type (pre 1850's harness decorations ) , these were usually on a martingale or a "hameplate" . Earlier ones had solid iron studs to fasten on the thick leather , later thinner wire type fasteners were common .

here is a link to a bit of info (you might have to scroll down a bit to find it) Mandicrafts News & Views - Teddy Bears & Collectibles: Collecting - Horse Brass Harness Decorations

and also some examples of some hameplates HAMEPLATES - ******** THE COLLECTORS HORSE BRASSES
Thank you for the Links and I.D. I do kind of disagree with it being as late as 1850's. This site it came off of isn't a big site as far as concentration and everything that has came out of this place is early. Not saying you are wrong because could have been lost later. I did noticed the one in the link is lead filled. I kind of wonder if like rosette's, the 19th century one's where lead filled opposed to the 18th not being lead filled.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might add that these were also used as tippets on leather straps. They helped keep the end of the strap straight and made it easier to "thread" buckles.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the Links and I.D. I do kind of disagree with it being as late as 1850's. This site it came off of isn't a big site as far as concentration and everything that has came out of this place is early. Not saying you are wrong because could have been lost later. I did noticed the one in the link is lead filled. I kind of wonder if like rosette's, the 19th century one's where lead filled opposed to the 18th not being lead filled.
I see lot of them here and on other forums - many Ive seen have come from civil war spots - so 1850 is very plausible
I do not have a shield design like yours but have many other rein and saddle brass over the yrs - some from colonial spots others from 19th century spots
:dontknow:

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might add that these were also used as tippets on leather straps. They helped keep the end of the strap straight and made it easier to "thread" buckles.
Those did cross my mind also Steve. I found these tippets at another site, but seem more like sheet brass, the shield is a little larger and a thicker cast brass. 005.JPG 007.JPG

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see lot of them here and on other forums - many Ive seen have come from civil war spots - so 1850 is very plausible
I do not have a shield design like yours but have many other rein and saddle brass over the yrs - some from colonial spots others from 19th century spots
:dontknow:
I might be completely wrong. Besides where it was found, it just looks early to me?

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

These are commonly found on 1790s to mid 19th century sites.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
For years i also called them horse saddle shields..It wasn't until i found 2 early ones side by side up on a ledge behind a huge boulder i said to myself,No horse came up here:icon_scratch:
Super early site 1690's to about 1800..I find the really contoured ones were early and the ones with the more square edges are 19th century..
Now,that being said you showed us some leather straps with brass shields on them but i never seen any of the other pieces like the heart dug before?

~Blaze

Attachments

• P4200006.JPG
    P4200006.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 201
  • P4200007.JPG
    P4200007.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 215

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread