Unbelievable Variety Campsite

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back last fall I started researching and hunting for the campsite of the 14th Kansas Cavalry that existed on July 27th 1864.
On Feb 9th I found a yet undiscovered campsite and have been back to it at least once a week( sometimes 2 or 3 times a week) since.
Yesterday I got up at 0400 to hunt some property close to downtown and as the sun is coming up and people arriving for work I decided to move
to a quieter location. 15 mins later I find myself at the campsite again.
I hunted for about an hour and half and came up with 5 more bullets and a horse shoe nail.
.52 cal 3ringer.jpg
This 3ringer mics out at .52 cal . Anybody know what rifle used this cal bullet????

Next hole produced my first Enfield bullet.
Enfield.jpg

The other 3 were .30 something round balls.
Total 04-28-16.jpg

I've been looking for a Federal campsite ; But I believe I've found a Confederate campsite that Predates 01/1864
Confederates here were poorly armed compared to the Federals.
Here is a pic of total finds since Feb 9th of this year
Campsite 04-28-16.jpg

Anyway thanks for looking and as always HH and GL

PS modern .22's are included in pic and the jewelry are period pieces I believe although I haven't confirmed it professionally yet

Upvote 18

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of CW relics. I don't think you see many Gardners in Arkansas. I would agree you are in a Confederate camp.

OP
OP
ArDirtSlinger

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice group of CW relics. I don't think you see many Gardners in Arkansas. I would agree you are in a Confederate camp.
Are you saying the .52 3ringer is a Gardner??? I thought they were 2 ringers and .58....

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw your post & I love it , Steve made a common mistake , you have no Gardner types ,tho the Enfield is Considereda mostly Confederate Bullet both sides used the Rifle Esp late in the war IMO.

Right now i'm thinking your site is Federal??? Mostly cause of the 'Ringtail,s & the other Sharps Round and esp if the Round balls (larger ones) are less than 69 cal. I could be wrong , IMO the Feds would have wasted more.........So I think Confederate again. Have you Id the lock plate?
GOOD STUFF 'WESTERN STUFF TO!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Small round balls look Freshly Molded (Possibly done at yr site) IMO 'Most of the small balls I should Say'.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw your post & I love it , Steve made a common mistake , you have no Gardner types ,tho the Enfield is Considereda mostly Confederate Bullet both sides used the Rifle Esp late in the war IMO.

Right now i'm thinking your site is Federal??? Mostly cause of the 'Ringtail,s & the other Sharps Round and esp if the Round balls (larger ones) are less than 69 cal. I could be wrong , IMO the Feds would have wasted more.........So I think Confederate again. Have you Id the lock plate?

I was talking about the bullet under the two ringtails in the last pic. Now that I look closer it looks like a Sharps.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Steve looking again ; when I saw the look of the Sharps a little closer I thought " Ill bet that's what Steve thought was a Gardner ".
Very sorry ,I should have not Assumed , One of my fav, sayings "Assumption is the Mother of all Screw-up's"

Again Sorry I should think before posting.
Davers

OP
OP
ArDirtSlinger

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

other than it is a Flintlock no...eat up pretty bad
pic 1.JPG
pic 2.JPG
pic 3.JPG

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Steve looking again ; when I saw the look of the Sharps a little closer I thought " Ill bet that's what Steve thought was a Gardner ".
Very sorry ,I should have not Assumed , One of my fav, sayings "Assumption is the Mother of all Screw-up's"

Again Sorry I should think before posting.
Davers
LOL, I think I'm agreeing with you. What I thought was a Gardner at first glance is really a Sharps.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flintlock...even more reason to believe it is a Confederate camp.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
ArDirtSlinger

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a Nice one , I have only dug 1 lock plate & that was a couple months ago, It's cleaning up nicely.
I need to research "Lock-Plates " now that I have dug 1.

Thanks for the extra pictures.

Now that I look at it again , it could be me but ; It look smaller than the one I dug & others I recall, Reckon it could be off a Pistol?
Kinda what I was thinking...... Pounded the bushes HARD looking for some more pieces

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really nice finds! I hope that one day I will find a site worthy of a "Federal v. Confederate" debate - that will mean that I'm digging up some cool relics like this!

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the ammo :thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!!!
I would love to find a camp that has not been picked clean!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions