DEUS vs CTX- Pair of SPANISH, Colonial Hibernia & War of 1812!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Got off work and decided to put my 2 months of tot lot DEUS skills to the test. In an effort to better learn the DEUS, I left my beloved CTX at home after leaving for training. Now back in the low country, a few months of swinging parks and digging clad has paid off. While the CTX is still the superior machine on the highly mineralized salt flat, the XP seems to dominate inland on iron patches (now that I understand the machine's language). I have gridded this particular site with my CTX meticulously...dozens of times...while my buddy Gheenoe78 hit it with his AT PRO. Needless to say, we left a few relics behind...the first target nearly knocked me over. Loud and clear at 10 inches, 1782 1 Real!

1.jpg 2.jpg

A bit of lead and lots of small iron nails later, I got a iffy signal among the trash. It only hit on 1 axis but I was digging everything after the real popped out. Deep in the plug was a smooth HIBERNIA KG3- another first!

3.jpg 4.jpg

Working a different section of the site, I ended up on a "newer" section of land not far from where I dug the Trime earlier this year. Similar to the CTX tones, this signal was faint and hit around 50 on the Deus. Expecting a nickle or foil I was surprised to see a tiny silver face staring up at me...1850 1 Reale! Dug about 5 feet from the 2nd smallest silver I've ever dug :laughing7: This coin is tiny-

5.jpg

Before calling it a day, I worked my way back into the trash pit from last week. About the only target I was missing to make this evening a personal record dig was a military button. After a disappointing 2 piece I never expected my second War of 1812 button in a week. She's a beauty, coat sized, CORPS War of 1812 artillery button.

6.jpg 7.jpg

Looking for a bit of help with this ornate item...broach maybe?

8.jpg 9.jpg

Headed back out tomorrow, although not sure how I'm going to top this evening. As always, thanks for looking and good luck out there!

10.jpg 11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 28
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Cru, almost got rid of the XP- just have to put the time in

I have bought a Deus twice and really wanted to like it but just don't like fiddling with the settings that much. Looks like you are going to really like yours. That is a great testimonial for Deus and make me want to try it again for a 3rd time.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using the 11 inch but Id like to invest in a smaller one. Precise pinpointing with the 11 is impossible without digging a large plug

If its only pinpointing, go ahead (I know the issue well), but I never use my 9inch now. The 11 is so good in trashy areas, there is no advantage gained with the 9.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds...and I bet your arm didn't hurt by the end of the day heh[emoji12]

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no bias either way - I'm testing the E-Trac (with Sunray) VS. DEUS, all I want is the best machine out there. I go to each site and scan with both machines, marking each spot that provides a good tone worth digging : So Far -

1) DEUS is light weight and wireless - 1 for DEUS (Hassle free, no cords easy transport)
2) DEUS reactivity is much faster - 2 for DEUS ( Finding good targets among the trash)
3) Deeper finds - Both machines = - Equal - (Neither machine has pulled a deeper target that the other couldn't find)
4) Pin-Point and depth accuracy - E-trac 1 for E-Trac (making it much easier dig the correct depth for pulling a target)
5) Recovery (with Sun-Ray Probe) 2 for E-Trac (DEUS does not have sunray option) Recovery is quick and easy.

I find that using the "carrot" pin point probe is time consuming as you can not differentiate between other targets especially in high trash areas. The SunRay uses the E-Tracs technology therefore you know exactly where the target is.

**Disclaimer** I am an expert with the E-Trac and not with the DEUS. I have over 30 years of detecting experience. I have tested the DEUS tones and numbers on many different targets and have detected with it ALOT since I bought it. So far it's a toss up. The testing goes on................

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killer hunt Jon :thumbsup: That real has a ton of detail and I really like that button. Hope to one day get a military button that is older than CW era. My lethal combination is the T2SE and Deus, although I'm way more proficient with the Deus that I am on the T2 anymore. The Deus always sniffed out something awesome, but it really "clicked" for me in Dec when I realized that some "sounds" is was making were actually targets... and when I started digging those, my pounded site lit up all over again. What settings did you use to pick up that real at 10"?

-Brad

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver is nice, but it's definitely the button I would most enjoy entering into my case.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If its only pinpointing, go ahead (I know the issue well), but I never use my 9inch now. The 11 is so good in trashy areas, there is no advantage gained with the 9.

Well I was considering giving the 9" a try but if you say dont bother, Ill gladly save my $500. Thanks

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer hunt Jon :thumbsup: That real has a ton of detail and I really like that button. Hope to one day get a military button that is older than CW era. My lethal combination is the T2SE and Deus, although I'm way more proficient with the Deus that I am on the T2 anymore. The Deus always sniffed out something awesome, but it really "clicked" for me in Dec when I realized that some "sounds" is was making were actually targets... and when I started digging those, my pounded site lit up all over again. What settings did you use to pick up that real at 10"?

-Brad

Hey Brad,

I'm running 11.7 Khz, sensitivity 93, discrim 0, notch 98-99, reactivity 2, silencer 0-

The 1782 reale hit at 72 on the target ID

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds ! man you had a good day.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I was considering giving the 9" a try but if you say dont bother, Ill gladly save my $500. Thanks
the nine in trash is better to me but thats just me.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Brad,

I'm running 11.7 Khz, sensitivity 93, discrim 0, notch 98-99, reactivity 2, silencer 0-

thanks for posting that because I see your hitting deep targets with reactivity set on 2.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Brad,

Thanks man. I can't seem to get off reactivity 3 and it's a real depth killer... I need to set it at 2 some more. I also don't like full tones and I really want to! Ha I like to run 0 disc in 4 tones, with the first two tones set to 200khz, and the second tone break at 8... it's like an audio only disc. Very impressive that 1 real hit so deep. Makes me excited to try some other settings to see what's down there.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks man. I can't seem to get off reactivity 3 and it's a real depth killer... I need to set it at 2 some more. I also don't like full tones and I really want to! Ha I like to run 0 disc in 4 tones, with the first two tones set to 200khz, and the second tone break at 8... it's like an audio only disc. Very impressive that 1 real hit so deep. Makes me excited to try some other settings to see what's down there.

Yea reactivity seems to be the most critical setting for depth, I swing slow so no issues with target separation

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt Jon! Those coins are nice but the prize (for me anyway) is that corps button. Just love seeing those old military buttons pop out the dirt! Big congrats! Still haven't pulled the trigger on upgrading machines yet, but posts like this sure get me thinking... Big congrats again buddy!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt Jon! Those coins are nice but the prize (for me anyway) is that corps button. Just love seeing those old military buttons pop out the dirt! Big congrats! Still haven't pulled the trigger on upgrading machines yet, but posts like this sure get me thinking... Big congrats again buddy!

Thanks Darby, nice to pull an 1812 copper button in solid shape, almost as nice as the ones you've dug:laughing7:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds! Taking the time to really learn the machine(s) will always produce quality results! Congratualtions!

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds man! Still waiting for the elusive Spanish silver. Crazy what this local dirt is still turning up!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful pieces of silver ya found!!!! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread