DEUS vs CTX- Pair of SPANISH, Colonial Hibernia & War of 1812!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Got off work and decided to put my 2 months of tot lot DEUS skills to the test. In an effort to better learn the DEUS, I left my beloved CTX at home after leaving for training. Now back in the low country, a few months of swinging parks and digging clad has paid off. While the CTX is still the superior machine on the highly mineralized salt flat, the XP seems to dominate inland on iron patches (now that I understand the machine's language). I have gridded this particular site with my CTX meticulously...dozens of times...while my buddy Gheenoe78 hit it with his AT PRO. Needless to say, we left a few relics behind...the first target nearly knocked me over. Loud and clear at 10 inches, 1782 1 Real!

1.jpg 2.jpg

A bit of lead and lots of small iron nails later, I got a iffy signal among the trash. It only hit on 1 axis but I was digging everything after the real popped out. Deep in the plug was a smooth HIBERNIA KG3- another first!

3.jpg 4.jpg

Working a different section of the site, I ended up on a "newer" section of land not far from where I dug the Trime earlier this year. Similar to the CTX tones, this signal was faint and hit around 50 on the Deus. Expecting a nickle or foil I was surprised to see a tiny silver face staring up at me...1850 1 Reale! Dug about 5 feet from the 2nd smallest silver I've ever dug :laughing7: This coin is tiny-

5.jpg

Before calling it a day, I worked my way back into the trash pit from last week. About the only target I was missing to make this evening a personal record dig was a military button. After a disappointing 2 piece I never expected my second War of 1812 button in a week. She's a beauty, coat sized, CORPS War of 1812 artillery button.

6.jpg 7.jpg

Looking for a bit of help with this ornate item...broach maybe?

8.jpg 9.jpg

Headed back out tomorrow, although not sure how I'm going to top this evening. As always, thanks for looking and good luck out there!

10.jpg 11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 28

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Brad,

I'm running 11.7 Khz, sensitivity 93, discrim 0, notch 98-99, reactivity 2, silencer 0-

The 1782 reale hit at 72 on the target ID

That almost mirrors my custom settings, other than my notch is 00-00. Why the 98-99?

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Large deep iron that sounds good and comes up 98-99 is wrap around. I can't describe the technical reason but something like the signal going all the way past 1 and into the high 90's. Other guys know better so I'm sure they can explain.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large deep iron that sounds good and comes up 98-99 is wrap around. I can't describe the technical reason but something like the signal going all the way past 1 and into the high 90's. Other guys know better so I'm sure they can explain.

OK, knew it exists, but never knew it had a name. I just thought the deeper the object the harder it was for the machine to ID it. I knew lots of deep iron hits at 95 for me, sometimes 98-99, however, I'm not worried about clearing large iron, so not an issue that concerns me.

Fattony315

May 17, 2013
Up state ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, great hunt. I always wonder what I'm missing out there. I have been back to sites with a different detector and found stuff. It always feels like there is still more.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, great hunt. I always wonder what I'm missing out there. I have been back to sites with a different detector and found stuff. It always feels like there is still more.

There is always more. The Deus has helped on sites we have gridded over the same spot for 10 years.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, knew it exists, but never knew it had a name. I just thought the deeper the object the harder it was for the machine to ID it. I knew lots of deep iron hits at 95 for me, sometimes 98-99, however, I'm not worried about clearing large iron, so not an issue that concerns me.

I dont get the 98-99 notch either. I have dug some deep silver that read 96-97. No way Im notching any numbers close to that

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt with the CTX and the Deus. And love them both just wish I had bought them sooner. Great finds and thanks for the info on the settings

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont get the 98-99 notch either. I have dug some deep silver that read 96-97. No way Im notching any numbers close to that

Agreed. I used to notch 98-99 when I first got the Deus and ran 12khz. Since then I almost always prefer 18khz which shifts the IDs higher, so I got rid of the notch right away. I also like digging iron and big iron as they turn out to be some of my favorite finds. I've had some weird items... even lead, come in the high 90s while in the ground so I never look at the IDs anyway and rely on the audio sounds. Typically I can tell if I high tone is iron by wiggling off the target and listening to the grunts... So I like to hear it all.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. I used to notch 98-99 when I first got the Deus and ran 12khz. Since then I almost always prefer 18khz which shifts the IDs higher, so I got rid of the notch right away. I also like digging iron and big iron as they turn out to be some of my favorite finds. I've had some weird items... even lead, come in the high 90s while in the ground so I never look at the IDs anyway and rely on the audio sounds. Typically I can tell if I high tone is iron by wiggling off the target and listening to the grunts... So I like to hear it all.
The reason I don't notch is the same reason I have disc on 0. Because I like it wide open & I'm not a cherry picker. I used to guess what I was digging & how deep by the sounds, now I have VDI, I only glance at it. Although the numbers combined with sounds have improved my guessing of the item. I dig EVERYTHING that hits over 10.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The reason I don't notch is the same reason I have disc on 0. Because I like it wide open & I'm not a cherry picker. I used to guess what I was digging & how deep by the sounds, now I have VDI, I only glance at it. Although the numbers combined with sounds have improved my guessing of the item. I dig EVERYTHING that hits over 10.

Who wouldnt dig everything when your hunting where 2000 year old gold coins can be had

s1222l

Apr 28, 2016
Central Mass
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" & 11" / Teknetics T2 Classic / Tesoro Vaquero / DetectorPro Pirate Pro
Garrett Propointer AT / Deteknix XPointer / Vance Muffs / Deteknix HD Muffs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man oh man... THAT is awesome!!

lowcountry

Jan 30, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So jealous!!!! Alan and I walked for miles Friday in the clearcut behind the old bricks we found.....NOTHING!!! We need to stick to the other side....:) Great finds!!!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So jealous!!!! Alan and I walked for miles Friday in the clearcut behind the old bricks we found.....NOTHING!!! We need to stick to the other side....:) Great finds!!!

Thanks Josh, sometimes you just have to keep hitting what's working.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Haven't hunted much in 18khz, any advantage to 12 for relic hunting?

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I think it depends where you're hunting, but I have wasted more time than I care to calculate digging DEEP 98-99's, time that could have been spent on other targets. When you only have a few hours to hunt per week, I personally prefer to up my odds of a keeper by prioritizing signals to a small degree. Do I miss some potential targets, sure, but the trade off is acceptable for me. I just raise the coil and if it's still sounding off 6"+ off the ground I'm gonna bail on that those signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread