Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been a while since I posted. Only been out 4 times in the last 6 weeks due to work, family, travel, etc. I skunked twice, including a bitter disappointment at a site it had taken me 10 months to gain access to. Today was the first time since last fall that I got to devote over 5 hours...and I've got a big smile on my face.

I couldn’t believe it when I pulled the liberty cap. Even though the details are hanging by a thread I could see the high ribbon. YES! Can barely make out the date, but at just over 9 grams it all seems to match up..1795 :headbang:. Reverse is completely shot. Not a thicky or a flowing hair, but a happy thing. Shame it wasn’t on the well-drained soil and unexposed to fertilizers like the beauty matron head cent was. I saw the condition of the reverse on that and was hopeful, so I rubbed a bit to get a date and saw 1821 plain as day. I’m still young in the hobby, but something was telling me that was a very good thing. Turns out fewer than 390k of these were made.

So I’m at home, doing my best to pull details on everything I found, when I pick away some of the dirt on one of the buttons I had found. Wait, writing? An eagle?? Turns out I found my first NY State Militia Button (looks like Tice NY100A35, Albert 10)! Crotal and fancy button perked up nicely as well with minimal cleaning. I don't have an id on the 3 ring bullet, and am not sure what the pocket knife dates to. I welcome your thoughts/advice.

Best day since pulling 3 state coppers last September.
Cheers, HH all.

Liberty Cap obverse pre.JPG 1821 obverse pre.JPG 1821 obverse.JPG 1821 reverse pre.JPG NY State obverse.JPG NY State reverse.JPG Crotal.JPG dandy.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 33

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you mean. That Liberty Cap is sweet but would have been all the much sweeter if it had come out with similar detail to the matron head. Congrats on some great finds. :occasion14:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only 5 hours digging? how many hours dancing? every piece is AMAZING!!

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some great finds, congrats!

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see what you mean. That Liberty Cap is sweet but would have been all the much sweeter if it had come out with similar detail to the matron head. Congrats on some great finds. :occasion14:

Thanks, Evolution. I can't complain. I also can't wait till I go back!

Very nice finds congrats

Thanks as always Art.

Wow! Heckuva hunt! Congrats.

: )

Pair of LCs is a killer hunt, but few will ever dig a 1700s US copper. Militia button is just icing on the cake :thumbsup:

Thanks VMID. I lucked out on this one.

only 5 hours digging? how many hours dancing? every piece is AMAZING!!

That made me chuckle, very kind. I think I dug just shy of 6 hours, finished around 2p. And I've definitely been floating around since, if not actually dancing.

Those are some great finds, congrats!

Thanks man!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG ZK, you pulled some quality finds. I dream of joining the 1700's club someday.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply a super hunt with old coins a crotal bell and your NY button . I have one of those EXCELSIOR buttons with the same eagle design,and now I ASK IF THEY ARE ALL THAT OLD?

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG ZK, you pulled some quality finds. I dream of joining the 1700's club someday.

It will happen. If you lived east of the Appalachins, you'd have done it two dozen times, easy.

Simply a super hunt with old coins a crotal bell and your NY button . I have one of those EXCELSIOR buttons with the same eagle design,and now I ASK IF THEY ARE ALL THAT OLD?

The info I found on these is that most date 1820-1840, but there are lots of varieties. It was new to me. Hope that helps.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Three KILLER finds man... days like this make those skunked trips totally worth it. I hope to find a liberty cap one day and that 1821 turned out great. That early NY button is really awesome too. Great hunt!

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love them early cents we have seen a bunch this year all similar
I have a 94 same condition then an 09 with good detail a few years makes a difference in copper quality maybe ? Great digs hh gl

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats an awesome early Excelsior button - and the Liberty Cap isn't too shabby either.... congrats!

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Congratulations on such nice finds.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Three KILLER finds man... days like this make those skunked trips totally worth it. I hope to find a liberty cap one day and that 1821 turned out great. That early NY button is really awesome too. Great hunt!

Thanks, Brad! In my brief hiatus from the site looks like I missed some consistently great hunts of yours. You continue to set a standard.

Love them early cents we have seen a bunch this year all similar
I have a 94 same condition then an 09 with good detail a few years makes a difference in copper quality maybe ? Great digs hh gl

Those early coppers are always thrilling, even when they break your heart a bit. Your gang has some incredible talent in finding them.

Thats an awesome early Excelsior button - and the Liberty Cap isn't too shabby either.... congrats!

Thanks! That means a lot from someone who has a flowing hair silver find!

Sweet! Congratulations on such nice finds.

Thanks Cibolero, nice of you.

Always great to get a Casper .jpeg! Thanks. : )

Nice job on the LCs the button is in very nice condition..

Thanks Pirate!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread