May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
By itself its not the most exciting find but to me it is better than a real Barber Dime -especially with the backstory. If you are bored read on........

In 1912 the local power company, Carolina Power & Light built an amusement park a couple miles north of Raleigh called Bloomsbury Park. They built an electric rail car trolley that would carry people to and from the park. There was a roller coaster, carousel, dance pavilion and penny arcade. The park was strung throughout with incandescent lights so at night it lit up the whole area and was soon called the Park of Lights. It was only open for about 10 years after which the rides were moved and/or dismantled and the site became woods again. The photo below is an actual picture taken at the park in 1915. If you look closely you can see the light bulbs strung around the park.

In the 1960's and 70's the area began to be developed for residential houses. There was a house built on the primary area of the park in 1983 but I was not aware of its exact location until later. Late last year I was contacted by a family to do a major addition/remodel project for them and their house is in the general area that I suspected the park to be. After securing a contract to do their project I inquired about Bloomsbury Park and was shocked to find out that it was right on their property. There is still the concrete pad where the old carousel used to sit. And even more surprising it turns out that the homeowners had the house built by my father in law. Of course I asked if I could metal detect the property which is a little more than 1 acre and they said I have an open invitation.

I went out today for the first time with visions of late 1800's early 1900's coins filling my pockets but I was disappointed to find that the property must have been detected before and/or there has been a lot of dirt moved around. I was digging 1980's Budweiser cans at 8 inches. I did manage to find a lead disk that someone hammered a barber dime into. Probably a teenager trying to pass it off at the park. I also was please to find several light bulb bases that would have been from the lights that were strung around the park. I also dug a small lock that looks to be the right age for the period of the park.

I will definitely be going back for more visits as there is a lot of natural areas and more lawn that I didn't cover. Will keep you posted if anything good pops up.

Attachments

• bulb bases.JPG
    bulb bases.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 134
  • lead dime 3.JPG
    lead dime 3.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 140
  • lead dime 2.JPG
    lead dime 2.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Roller_Coaster_Bloomsbury_Park_Raleigh_NC.jpg
    Roller_Coaster_Bloomsbury_Park_Raleigh_NC.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Upvote 11

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool story & congrats on the finds!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if that old park had been hunted by others, would be sure to return there.That old photo would give any hunter the urge to hunt there.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
That spot looks like it has lots of potential, good luck!
HH
dts

DirtyPockects

Apr 18, 2016
Dayton, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Garrett Ace400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome place to hunt. Enjoy your time there. Sure to be some great finds lurking around.

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"In 1912 the local power company, Carolina Power & Light built an amusement park a couple miles north of Raleigh called Bloomsbury Park."

The Local Trolley Company Built one here also. But ours is the County Fair grounds now.
fselecpark.jpg

Congrats on the permission and GL & HH

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As its a lead impression of a coin, I would call it a gaming piece rather than something to fool anyone.

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all of the comments. I am a little disappointed that I wasn't able to dig some coins but I will definitely be spending some more time searching.

As its a lead impression of a coin, I would call it a gaming piece rather than something to fool anyone.

That is a more accurate description. I was envisioning a crafty teenager (like I was 35 years ago) trying to pull one over on the arcade attendant. Still it is a unique find and my first.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the comments. I am a little disappointed that I wasn't able to dig some coins but I will definitely be spending some more time searching.

That is a more accurate description. I was envisioning a crafty teenager (like I was 35 years ago) trying to pull one over on the arcade attendant. Still it is a unique find and my first.

I've had a couple of Coin impressions in lead, but they were not disc like/coin like shaped like your example.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread