Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past Saturday I went out to one of my well pounded sites that had been recently plowed. My brother from Colorado was in town, so I armed him with my Garrett AT Gold and away we went. Even though this place has been hit hard by me and others I have brought here, it is a large site, with deep targets remaining and fringe areas that have not been investigated thoroughly. There is also a good chance of finding early silver here since it had already given up 16 Spanish silvers, a Draped Bust dime, and a Capped Bust half dime. After about an hour of not finding anything, the plowed zone started to give up some buttons. My brother dug a tombac and I dug a flat button, then I found cuff links on back to back signals. Finds continued on a slow but steady pace for the next several hours, then I heard my brother, who was working in a fringe area, where I had never went, yelling that he had Spanish Silver. I walked the 80 yards or so to where he was digging expecting to see a half real, but there he was with a 2 reale in his hand, and a nice one at that.

Here are our finds before cleaning (mine on the bottom two rows)
All Dirty.JPG

After cleaning
All Clean.JPG

Here is the 2-Reale. Turns out it was minted in Seville, Spain rather than one of the New World mints. Of course we see lots of Pistareens which were minted in Spain, but it is uncommon to find a Pillar or Bust type over here that was minted in Spain.
Two Reale - F.JPG
Two Reale = B.JPG

The other notable finds were the two cufflinks which I hit on back to back signals about 4 feet apart. the first one was a running fox "Tallio" in poor shape. The "Tallio" is almost cut off the edge of the cufflink and the fox is not the best image either.
Tallio.JPG

Here is a "Tallio" cufflink I dug at another site for comparison.
Tallio Good.JPG

The second cufflink I dug has a scalloped border and what looks like faint letters in the center. They are easier to see with the piece in hand. Here are a couple views.
Cufflink.JPG
DSCN3289.JPG

This cufflink has a drilled eye wedge shank which is unusual for these late 18th century oval cufflinks.
Cufflink Back.JPG

I have only seen this type of shank on two other cufflinks - one was an Admiral Rodney cufflink dug by Bill D. The other was on this G. Washington cufflink that I dug.
GW-Link-B1.jpg.JPG
GW-Link-F.jpg.JPG

Finally, here are some ceramics I picked up.
Ceramics.JPG

Enjoy the pics and HH to all :thumbsup:

Upvote 39
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt guys! Its amazing how moving a little dirt around can make all the difference. Unfortunately that never happens down this way. And BTW - I like that joint assayers mark (CF) on the 2 reale, and it represents Carlos Jiminez Alvarez (C) who was a Seville assayer from 1764-1788, and Francisco Lopez Amisa (F) from 1767-1783.
Francisco Lopez Amisa
Bill, it looks like they may have plowed down about 8 inches. Once the ground settles and compacts we should be able to pull more out.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Stevie boy that Reale is a real beauty:headbang:Nice Colonial digs there your back in action..Now the holed silver coins is said to be for putting the coin on a string in a jug of milk to keep the bacteria down..It does workj as i use Colloidal silver myself..Also it is said they carried them on a string..I do get holed coppers too..But the milk theory on the string makes sense...

~Blaze

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killer hunt Steve! So I'm staring at that 2 reale and wondering why it looks so weird with the III on the front on the other side and why the reverse is totally different with a weird shield, no columns and the 2R in the middle... Then I see you said that it's from Spain and not the New World. :icon_thumright: That's just awesome man. I didn't even know that style existed. Great links and buttons as well. Crazy what's left down there after a plow.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stevie boy that Reale is a real beauty:headbang:Nice Colonial digs there your back in action..Now the holed silver coins is said to be for putting the coin on a string in a jug of milk to keep the bacteria down..It does workj as i use Colloidal silver myself..Also it is said they carried them on a string..I do get holed coppers too..But the milk theory on the string makes sense...

~Blaze
Well JB, aka Johnny Fuego, that's the first time I've heard that theory. I have heard that they were put on strings for teething babies, sewed into jackets, and strung on a cord. You don't see many holed coins after the 1860s though.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great stuff!! So cool to see a Spanish coin that came from the motherland, new to me on the site.
Would love to see how you approach displays by site if you care to.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Well JB, aka Johnny Fuego, that's the first time I've heard that theory. I have heard that they were put on strings for teething babies, sewed into jackets, and strung on a cord. You don't see many holed coins after the 1860s though.

Notice how holed silver coins are much more common than coppers...That says something right there Mr Steve Dobalina..
I make my own using .999 silver,distilled water and Electrolysis powered by 3-9volt batteries..

~Fuego

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff!! So cool to see a Spanish coin that came from the motherland, new to me on the site.
Would love to see how you approach displays by site if you care to.
ZK, I just put the finds from different sites in site specific display cases. Stuff that won't go in n the cases or aren't "display worthy" go in labeled boxes or bags. The glass frames get a clear label stuck to them. The labels have a number that is cross referenced to a site description that I keep on file. Here are Spanish silvers from four different sites, including the site from this post. Here is another pic of various cases in my relic cabinet.

Attachments

• IMG_20160415_082708869[1].jpg
    IMG_20160415_082708869[1].jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Storage1.jpg.JPG
    Storage1.jpg.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I've come back to your post several times to look again Steve. That real is a beauty. I've found a bunch of 1/2 and 1R's, but a two is just so big. I hope to find one some day.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeepers. What a might museum you must have. Just wonderful to see all that treasure, the work it took to recover, and the stories it tells us about history. Thanks

I'm working on the deeper curation habits (like indexing or using excel) but for display have tended to simply group things together by time or quality rather than site. -Ken

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeepers. What a might museum you must have. Just wonderful to see all that treasure, the work it took to recover, and the stories it tells us about history. Thanks

I'm working on the deeper curation habits (like indexing or using excel) but for display have tended to simply group things together by time or quality rather than site. -Ken

If you need display cases, try Indian River Display Case Co. They have a wide variety and reasonable prices.
IndianRiver-Home

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've come back to your post several times to look again Steve. That real is a beauty. I've found a bunch of 1/2 and 1R's, but a two is just so big. I hope to find one some day.

Your 2 reale is just around the corner Steve.

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good to see you digging that silver again Steve!

Russ

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is great to see someone in Pa getting out and making finds. What an awesome site to keep giving like that.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like an amazing place to hunt. I'd be thrilled if finds like those were turning up. Your brother's 2 reale is pretty sweet.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty of a 2R, and the cuffs are really great too. What a good site you guys have. Congrats!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man you guys are killing it! 2 reale on my hit list.

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DANG!!! You lucky dogs! Love that Colonial Silver! I'm dying to find some!:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread