Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past Saturday I went out to one of my well pounded sites that had been recently plowed. My brother from Colorado was in town, so I armed him with my Garrett AT Gold and away we went. Even though this place has been hit hard by me and others I have brought here, it is a large site, with deep targets remaining and fringe areas that have not been investigated thoroughly. There is also a good chance of finding early silver here since it had already given up 16 Spanish silvers, a Draped Bust dime, and a Capped Bust half dime. After about an hour of not finding anything, the plowed zone started to give up some buttons. My brother dug a tombac and I dug a flat button, then I found cuff links on back to back signals. Finds continued on a slow but steady pace for the next several hours, then I heard my brother, who was working in a fringe area, where I had never went, yelling that he had Spanish Silver. I walked the 80 yards or so to where he was digging expecting to see a half real, but there he was with a 2 reale in his hand, and a nice one at that.

Here are our finds before cleaning (mine on the bottom two rows)
All Dirty.JPG

After cleaning
All Clean.JPG

Here is the 2-Reale. Turns out it was minted in Seville, Spain rather than one of the New World mints. Of course we see lots of Pistareens which were minted in Spain, but it is uncommon to find a Pillar or Bust type over here that was minted in Spain.
Two Reale - F.JPG
Two Reale = B.JPG

The other notable finds were the two cufflinks which I hit on back to back signals about 4 feet apart. the first one was a running fox "Tallio" in poor shape. The "Tallio" is almost cut off the edge of the cufflink and the fox is not the best image either.
Tallio.JPG

Here is a "Tallio" cufflink I dug at another site for comparison.
Tallio Good.JPG

The second cufflink I dug has a scalloped border and what looks like faint letters in the center. They are easier to see with the piece in hand. Here are a couple views.
Cufflink.JPG
DSCN3289.JPG

This cufflink has a drilled eye wedge shank which is unusual for these late 18th century oval cufflinks.
Cufflink Back.JPG

I have only seen this type of shank on two other cufflinks - one was an Admiral Rodney cufflink dug by Bill D. The other was on this G. Washington cufflink that I dug.
GW-Link-B1.jpg.JPG
GW-Link-F.jpg.JPG

Finally, here are some ceramics I picked up.
Ceramics.JPG

Enjoy the pics and HH to all :thumbsup:

Upvote 39

shedseeker

Oct 28, 2012
ny
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster GT , Garrett ace 250 , Garrett AT PRO
Garrett AT pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job !!

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic finds and congrats! Thanks for sharing the pictures with all of us & wish you many more great finds.

Texas ED

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You certainly are a nice brother to visit Steve. I dream of digging a reale someday. Congrats on all those buttons and other relics.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You certainly are a nice brother to visit Steve. I dream of digging a reale someday. Congrats on all those buttons and other relics.
He donates whatever he finds on my sites to the my collection. I keep all my finds segregated by site, and I have fairly complete collections from some fairly important sites.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow that's a big beautiful silver. A two Reale is on my list. Congrats to your bro, and you for supplying him the site;)

I must say that cuff shank is quite unusual. High quality however. Is it the same dimensions as your GW cuff? Perhaps the same manufacturer?

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome coin... congrats to your brother. I like the cuff links too. Very nice finds.

s1222l

Apr 28, 2016
Central Mass
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" & 11" / Teknetics T2 Classic / Tesoro Vaquero / DetectorPro Pirate Pro
Garrett Propointer AT / Deteknix XPointer / Vance Muffs / Deteknix HD Muffs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice!! Congrats!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find on the 2 reale. Congratulations

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome stuff!!!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to have a site so rich that it keeps giving for years, thank you mr. plow (and I've said that before)
That is a lot of Silver for one site, I guess you mentioned it before that it was a tavern ?
Cool Cuff links, I find very few of them, cool you got two back to back digs, I was kind of expecting a pair.
2 R is a good dig too. I have a bust type 1776, but different reverse than that one, just realizing there are quite a few different combinations.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
That's a really nice piece of silver Steve. Great digs from a hammered site.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a big beautiful silver. A two Reale is on my list. Congrats to your bro, and you for supplying him the site;)

I must say that cuff shank is quite unusual. High quality however. Is it the same dimensions as your GW cuff? Perhaps the same manufacturer?

Steve, The GW is smaller, yet thicker, and appears to be made of copper instead of brass. The GW is definitely the highest quality of any of the two dozen or so oval cufflinks I have found.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to have a site so rich that it keeps giving for years, thank you mr. plow (and I've said that before)
That is a lot of Silver for one site, I guess you mentioned it before that it was a tavern ?
Cool Cuff links, I find very few of them, cool you got two back to back digs, I was kind of expecting a pair.
2 R is a good dig too. I have a bust type 1776, but different reverse than that one, just realizing there are quite a few different combinations.

Rick, yes this was a tavern site. I suspect your 1776 bust type 2-reale has a South American mintmark - Mexico City, Lima, or Potosi most likely. This being a Seville, Spain minted coin, the reverse is different than South American minted coins.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
That is one beautiful coin! A big congratz to your brother! Congratz to you on the cufflinks!

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful crisp detail on that reale!! Lifetime type find

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Rick, yes this was a tavern site. I suspect your 1776 bust type 2-reale has a South American mintmark - Mexico City, Lima, or Potosi most likely. This being a Seville, Spain minted coin, the reverse is different than South American minted coins.

Great hunt guys! Its amazing how moving a little dirt around can make all the difference. Unfortunately that never happens down this way. And BTW - I like that joint assayers mark (CF) on the 2 reale, and it represents Carlos Jiminez Alvarez (C) who was a Seville assayer from 1764-1788, and Francisco Lopez Amisa (F) from 1767-1783.
Francisco Lopez Amisa

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread