[BANNER] Antler Knife, Pontil Bottle, CW Buttons and more... - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Antler Knife, Pontil Bottle, CW Buttons and more...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    8314 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    That site just continues to give and give....and no doubt your perseverance at this place has made you a better detectorist. Most would have left that place long ago. I have likely been guilty of moving on to quickly in the past. I'm always so excited to search for the next place on my list. I have a long list of sites that I need to revisit at some point. Love your posts and presentation pal
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2017 BEST FINDS
    -1723 KG1
    -Colonial Cufflinks
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

us
    Dec 2006
    Colonial Virginia
    XP Deus Teknetics T2
    1392 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    I can't believe all of the bone handled utensils you're pulling out of there. I've never dug one and never really thought about them until I've seen the ones you've been digging. Are you re-digging the pit every time or are digging different sections....forgive me if you've already addressed this.

us
    Detect smarter, not harder.

Mar 2014
    17th century
    Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
    13266 times
    FOUNDING MEMBER: Basstards of Bramble
    Banner Finds (6)
    I do t even know where to begin. First, great presentation. The care you show is inspirational. I also really enjoy the four pictures of the knife transformation. Very cool!

The iron key would be my favorite if you didn't find that bottle, and the knife. But then again, all your finds is like choosing between supermodels. Great show man!!!

Tell your wife I said I'm glad you spent all that time positing, and your post was inspirational lol

"Take the detecta-drama elsewhere - I'm just here to dig!"

Running totals:

Hammered Silvers - 2
    Hammered Coppers - 1
    Milled Spanish Silver - 14
    Transitional US State Coppers - 9
    United States Cent/Half cent Coppers - 131
    British & Other colonial Coppers - 107
    Slick coppers - too painful to talk about
    Silver Coins - We’ll over a 1000

Favourite Finds:
    1665 1-reale Spanish Cob
    Revolutionary War stirrup
    1812 2nd Regiment Artillarists pewter button
    1695 Willam 3rd Halfpenny in excellent condition
    G.W. Inagural Buttons - 6 Point Estoile cuff variety
    Love token etched on 1859 seated Dime
    1831 Louis Phillippe 1st - 5 Franc
    1783 Nova Constelatio, Crosby-3C &. Crosby-1B
    1749 Regal King George II Farthing
    1776 Counter King George iii

If it ain't at least seated, it aint Sh*t

us
    art

Dec 2015
    Maryland's eastern shore
    whites MXTPro whites MXSport
    13027 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Congrats on a nice bunch of finds
    Growing old is not for sissies I thought it would take longer to get old.

The number of wood, bone and antler handled utensils you're finding at that site is amazing!! I never seem to find those, and its been a blast following your digs as you continue to recover some awesome pieces of history. And that cool pontilled bottle is a miracle find in that pit. Not sure how it survived, but now it will be preserved forever. Love your posts, but even more the passion. Talk to you soon bud ....
    MY BOOK HAS SOLD OUT OF ALL 1200+ COPIES IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS. NO 2ND PRINTING IS ANTICIPATED AT THIS TIME. THANKS TO ALL WHO MADE THIS PROJECT A SUCCESS.

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    4616 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
    I do t even know where to begin. First, great presentation. The care you show is inspirational. I also really enjoy the four pictures of the knife transformation. Very cool!

The iron key would be my favorite if you didn't find that bottle, and the knife. But then again, all your finds is like choosing between supermodels. Great show man!!!

Tell your wife I said I'm glad you spent all that time positing, and your post was inspirational lol
    Well said Scrappy

us
    May 2013
    North Carolina
    Fisher F-75 SE
    1393 times
    Civil War
    Banner Finds (1)
    Great post, I enjoyed reading every word. Congrats on the finds, that's a wonderful spot with good variety of relics.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    XP DEUS,EQUINOX 800, ANFIBIO MULTI, EXCALIBUR
    8048 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    nice finds! thanks for posting the program.Im thinking about the digging nails part I have a few sites that I know targets are masked .Im thinking about digging some nails!

Jas 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

us
    Apr 2013
    East Coast - USA
    XP Deus, GPX 4500, Equinox 800, AT Max
    3348 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahab8 View Post
    That site just continues to give and give....and no doubt your perseverance at this place has made you a better detectorist. Most would have left that place long ago. I have likely been guilty of moving on to quickly in the past. I'm always so excited to search for the next place on my list. I have a long list of sites that I need to revisit at some point. Love your posts and presentation pal
    Thanks a ton man! Years ago I would have moved on from this place a long time ago. Actually, I have had many hunts here where I think it'll be my last really productive one. Its the strangest place in that an INSANE number of stuff has come out of the dirt, but its all in moderation.... I've had some hunts that were much better than others here, but its seems if I put in the time, I am always rewarded. If it wasnt for discovering sifting, I think I would have moved on last fall.... boy am I glad I stuck it out.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyfresh View Post
    I can't believe all of the bone handled utensils you're pulling out of there. I've never dug one and never really thought about them until I've seen the ones you've been digging. Are you re-digging the pit every time or are digging different sections....forgive me if you've already addressed this.
    Thanks a ton Joey! In the group shot, the complete knife blade with the partial bone handle, I actually dug the first weekend I detected this place over a year ago. It was located in what I would later learn to be part of the pit. I've dug a few bone handles from the pit that are located at the bottom in the clay layer and that bone is almost always brittle... it just falls apart. The bones that are suspended in the black soil seem to be in the best condition. So I think the proper soil conditions are what have preserved these bones and allowed me to find so many of them. I realized my initial post wording wasnt so clear... I actually planned on sifting on Thurs and Sat, but I didn't either day because the soil was too wet.... but I did work the pit area with my Deus and just dug the nails and iron from there. I do this to find pit areas that are more promising and I keep a mental note of which sections I give a higher priority to sift next. The pit is anywhere from the surface to where the clay layer begins which at most is around 12" deep... sometimes shallower. So when I do sift, I open small sections at a time and then do another section.... I actually think I am just sifting what was once the back yard where they just tossed everything out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post

haha Thanks a ton dude! I know I texted you the additional pictures, but that's the 5th or so iron key from here. I also really like digging those. As you know I've dug many bone and wood utensil handles... I had read about antler handles, but never imagined I would find one. SO the antler knife was my favorite find... for 5 minutes until the bottle turned up right next to it. That bottle was my fu to the pit where everything is pulverized! It felt so good to find one in tact after picking thousands of glass and pottery pieces out of the dirt for 100's of hours. Technically, she is my girlfriend... however, I will be sure to NOT let her know you said that, as it will dredge up again the amount of time I spent editing these photos and writing this post. In general she is uninterested in what I bring home, but she does comment on some things like "that's broken AND its dirty", or "another button? really?" or "ewww, pigs teeth". And shes right on all accounts!

us
    Apr 2013
    East Coast - USA
    3348 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by trapperart View Post
    Congrats on a nice bunch of finds
    Thank you trapperart!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D. (VA) View Post
    The number of wood, bone and antler handled utensils you're finding at that site is amazing!! I never seem to find those, and its been a blast following your digs as you continue to recover some awesome pieces of history. And that cool pontilled bottle is a miracle find in that pit. Not sure how it survived, but now it will be preserved forever. Love your posts, but even more the passion. Talk to you soon bud ....
    Thanks a ton Bill! In my response to Joey I mentioned why I think the bones survived. I have found them in the clay and the bone just falls apart. Regardless, the bone seems to fare much better than wood. These two had wood handles and one had just a tiny amount of wood remaining. Although I have found many forks/knives/spoons here that have no handle left at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160514_201147901.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	933.2 KB 
ID:	1313716

In the group shot on this post, the handle with heart inlays (from a few months ago) was the most complete wood one and its so brittle. I soaked the wood in mineral oil so it wouldn't flake away. When I took it out for the group shot pieces were falling apart. So I think I am going to have to dip it in wax or something to hold all that wood together or it will continue to break apart.

As you know, that bottle was very special to me... you have motivated me more than once when I get discouraged with how broken everything is in this pit. It was only a couple inches deep and surrounded by rocks, so it is a miracle it survived. I believe it was discarded close to the house and not in a foot traffic area. SO perhaps that's how it got spared.

Quote Originally Posted by villagenut View Post
    Well said Scrappy
    Thank you villagenut!

Quote Originally Posted by JBnNC View Post
    Great post, I enjoyed reading every word. Congrats on the finds, that's a wonderful spot with good variety of relics.
    Thank you JBnNC! Glad it was interesting... the posts take a while to put together, but its worth it when people enjoy them. When its snowing or raining out, I'll read through old posts and re-enjoy the finds all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by calabash digger View Post
    nice finds! thanks for posting the program. Im thinking about the digging nails part I have a few sites that I know targets are masked . Im thinking about digging some nails!
    Thanks calabash digger! One other thing I left out was that I turned the Audio Response up to 5. I typically have it at 4. It really amplified what would have been a whisper... even though I lose depth perception in the sound, at this point I dont really care at this particular site... I dig it all. I have some Victorian Era properties that I wouldn't do all this work for whatever's masked there... but this property is a big exception and well worth the effort. Keep us posted if you dig some nails and what you end up finding.

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, Garrett AT Gold, XP Deus, Fisher 1270
    8557 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Nice saves Brah and kudos for the effort you put forth to preserve what you dig.

us
    Colonial relic hound

Jun 2015
    South Carolina
    Minelab Equinox 800
    3192 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Brad-
    I always look forward to your posts and you never disappoint. That really is a super pit site you have found and you have mastered the sifting process. Cool antler and bon knife handles and the bottle is killer. Thanks for posting such good pictures of your finds, and keep sifting!

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16060 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Name:  great-job-seal[1].jpg
Views: 182
Size:  75.3 KB
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    May 2015
    399 times
    Thats your first intact brick.... wut....

us
    Apr 2013
    East Coast - USA
    3348 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by itzyoboyandrew View Post
    Thats your first intact brick.... wut....
    At this place, yeah, it is! I've dug 100's of bricks there, but they're all smashed up or broken in half. I've brought some plow destroyed fragments home for my display, but never any complete or with paint.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links