🥇 BANNER Antler Knife, Pontil Bottle, CW Buttons and more...

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After weeks of rain, I was dying to get out to sift. It seemed like bands of rain swept across the US every day for the last 2 weeks, so when the sun came out on Thurs, I was out the door. Sadly the soil was too wet and the grass waist high, so I just hunkered down in one small area to dig nails. Thurs was one of those hunts that started out amazing, with multiple bone pieces turning up early on, followed by a complete pontil bottle and the General Service button, which gave me the right attitude for digging nails for 5 hours. In all, on Thurs I dug exactly 100 nails and a few dozen pieces of other iron. On Saturday (yesterday) I got out for 8 hours and dug an equal number of nails along with 2 CW Excelsior buttons. Yesterday was a much slower hunt than thurs, but I was happy with the two NY buttons that turned up.

IMG_20160514_194800038.jpg

This bottle was a big deal for me. I'm not a bottle collector, hardly know a thing about them, but I think these hand made bottles are killer. I've been sifting this pit since last year and everything I find is pulverized. I'm lucky to find a piece of pottery or glass that is larger than an inch across. I still save it all and piece what I can back together for displaying. I have wanted a complete bottle so bad and its very discouraging to dig broken things for 100's of hours of sifting. So I got the antler knife out of the plug and after 5 min of removing nails with my pinpointer from the plug, my machine was telling me more nails were right to the left of it. So I cut a large half moon plug extension and when I flip back the sod, this bottle drops out the bottom. If I came in an inch on the size of my plug extension, I would have crushed this bottle. I sat there with a huge dumb smile for at least 5 minutes just staring at this bottle. It was so rewarding after digging so many really cool broken pieces, to finally get one of these really old blown pontil bottles.

IMG_20160514_194258248.jpg
IMG_20160514_195345760.jpg

This antler knife was found digging a large flat iron high tone with iron grunts... the hole turned out to contain all iron, but there was a piece of sheet metal, the knife blade and a hand full of nails. I dug the bone fork sides one plug before the antler knife. There was a nail in the plug that I was finding to remove with my pinpointer and the bone handles were an added bonus. The following plug I popped it open and saw the antler handle.... was so awesome... I took my time removing it since I didn't want to break off anything that was left of the iron part. I was unsure if it was a fork, knife or spoon when I first saw it and luckily there was enough of the knife blade left to tell what it was.

The progression of preservation as dug, washed, electrolysis, hot wax (iron) mineral oil (antler), and I had to epoxy the blade back into the handle. Turned out great.

IMG_20160512_160538155.jpg
IMG_20160512_154939229.jpg
IMG_20160513_160035598.jpg
IMG_20160514_195139565.jpg IMG_20160514_195220435.jpg

Here are some of my favorite bone and wood handle utensils that have turned up here, sitting on a plate from here that I have been trying to reconstruct. All of these have been in past posts on here within the last year. Cool to think any of them could have been used together or by the same person and possibly eaten a meal on that very plate :headbang:

IMG_20160514_200802538.jpg

Some nice rose heads from Thurs. The uncleaned one is from yesterday and I probably have even more since I haven't even sorted through my from that trip yet.

IMG_20160514_194604349.jpg

The Civil War General Service button has a perfect patina on it with a nice Waterbury backmark. Of all my GS buttons, this one has the best color and was very nice to add to my display. Yesterday my 4th and 5th NY Excelsior button turned up from this place. The first one yesterday was in nice condition, but the second one had old damage where the face was crushed in and the inside filled with dirt. So I saved the dirt from inside since I figured it might contain some of the front pieces. I was able to find 3 of the pieces and glue them back on. So while its in rough shape, its still better than a button with hardly any face.

IMG_20160514_194316518.jpg IMG_20160514_194332796.jpg
IMG_20160514_194351285.jpg IMG_20160514_194412167.jpg
IMG_20160514_194823858.jpg IMG_20160514_195116154.jpg

This brick was a nice surprise in many ways. I'm always digging bricks here and usually leave them in the plug. After 100's of bricks, this was my first complete one... better yet, its in exterior corner brick from the chimney with the white wash paint still on it. Insane!! You can see the charring on it where it was on the inside of the chimney and where the other brick butted up to it. White wash paint is on the two outside ends of the brick.

IMG_20160514_201516872.jpg

All 5 of the NY buttons in the display now.

IMG_20160514_203414983.jpg

Unmasking new non-ferrous tones is a lot of work, but totally worth it. The surprises are few, but rewarding and in the process I get cool relics like the pieces of bone and rose head nails.

Thanks for reading and happy hunting.

Upvote 49

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have restored everything you dug very well. Nice lot of finds you dug.

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was one HUGE hall for the day....and I bet there's more. I'm really only into onion bottles, but that bottle you found is talking to me. Great saves!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great recoveries.
Congrats on the intact bottle,finally.
I see a flintlock top jaw screw in the mix.
Interesting thread pattern on it vs, modern threads.

Knives and forks are cool ...the scales mostly exhibit good texture for a grip.
The bone butcher knife and the antler handle one are competing for favorite ,but best I let them rest on their own merits...

Lots of goodies!

Last edited:
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quite the selection of old finds.

Regards + HH

Bill

Thanks Bill!

You have restored everything you dug very well. Nice lot of finds you dug.

Thank you CoilyGirl! The preservation part is one of my favorite parts of the whole process. Its great to take something that is broken and rusty and make it somewhat presentable. You put enough of it in a pile together and it looks cool no matter what.... even when most of its broken or bent. ha

That was one HUGE hall for the day....and I bet there's more. I'm really only into onion bottles, but that bottle you found is talking to me. Great saves!

Thanks WildWildBill! I have found some onion bottle bases, but never close to a partial or complete one. There is without a doubt a lot more left and I will continue to sift once it dries up some. Hopefully some more complete glass turns up!

Great recoveries.
Congrats on the intact bottle,finally.
I see a flintlock top jaw screw in the mix.
Interesting thread pattern on it vs, modern threads.

Lots of goodies!

Thanks releventchair! I wish it was a flintlock screw. Sadly, its brass and its part to a drawer handle. I found the other one next to it in the winter about 40 yards from the one I found on Thurs. I read an article this winter about these and why they are parts to handles and not flintlocks. Apparently almost all the flintlock screws were iron?!

IMG_20160515_104900540.jpg

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunts. Those are some killer bone handle utensils you have. Pretty cool you that are able to reconstruct the plate. Always nice to find some CW era buttons.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that place is loaded! Nice job.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Bill!

Thank you CoilyGirl! The preservation part is one of my favorite parts of the whole process. Its great to take something that is broken and rusty and make it somewhat presentable. You put enough of it in a pile together and it looks cool no matter what.... even when most of its broken or bent. ha

Thanks WildWildBill! I have found some onion bottle bases, but never close to a partial or complete one. There is without a doubt a lot more left and I will continue to sift once it dries up some. Hopefully some more complete glass turns up!

Thanks releventchair! I wish it was a flintlock screw. Sadly, its brass and its part to a drawer handle. I found the other one next to it in the winter about 40 yards from the one I found on Thurs. I read an article this winter about these and why they are parts to handles and not flintlocks. Apparently almost all the flintlock screws were iron?!

View attachment 1313123

Ahhh, that's why the holes look large and egged on the sides, and the strange threads.
My exuberant bad....
The non-threaded area on a topjaw screw is where it passes through the thickness of a top jaw ,another clue I missed as your recoveries would require a massive thickness of a jaw...
Not all have holes through them either but coffee said it was a screw....l.o.l..

I'll look closer in the future!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and nice relics! Display is very cool, even nails have a place there! Love it :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahhh, that's why the holes look large and egged on the sides, and the strange threads.
My exuberant bad....
The non-threaded area on a topjaw screw is where it passes through the thickness of a top jaw ,another clue I missed as your recoveries would require a massive thickness of a jaw...
Not all have holes through them either but coffee said it was a screw....l.o.l..

I'll look closer in the future!

No worries! They'd be a lot cooler if they were musket parts. Haha. The threads are pretty crude, so they're probably pretty old.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice collection of items your getting! Wish you good luck in your future hunts! Thanks for sharing the nice photos!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunts. Those are some killer bone handle utensils you have. Pretty cool you that are able to reconstruct the plate. Always nice to find some CW era buttons.

Thanks PBR! I have 5 plates\bowels that I've put together over 50% of and 1 bowl that is 99% complete... that ones a Davenport Pearlware Bowl made in England in the early 1800's. I have huge boxes of pottery and glass and at some point I check and see if I have any missing pieces I'm looking for. It will be an overwhelming task.

Man that place is loaded! Nice job.

Thanks Mike... it sure is loaded. Its going to be a ton of fun sifting and I'll be sure to keep you guys posted on what turns up.

Great post and nice relics! Display is very cool, even nails have a place there! Love it :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Westfront! I don't typically put the nails in my photos, but I did start processing my good iron before I post. Since it was a failed sifting trip(s) that I decided to just dig nails instead, I figured I'd sprinkle those 100 nails into the pictures so show the work it takes. There's a whole other box of iron from this trip that I didn't include. I do strangely appreciate the nails though... and when I dig a nice rose head, I actually put it in my keeper container and not in the pouch with all the other square nails. haha

Built my first sifter last week, just need to find a site with the right soil and history. The assortment of antler and bone utensils is killer, but already nice to dig CW buttons.

Thanks a ton Jon! Sifting is a ton of fun, so I was bummed out when the ground was a little too damp. However, I certainly will be returning to sift the areas of the antler knife and other piece of bone. If youre seeing pottery, brick and shell in your plugs just mark it off and sift there... some of the areas I didnt think had anything turned out to be the best sections to sift. Really looking forward to seeing what you find.

Brad

Very nice collection of items your getting! Wish you good luck in your future hunts! Thanks for sharing the nice photos!

Thank you scruggs! I'll be sure to keep tnet posted on what turns up next.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone. For the Deus users, I should point out that I was using a new program for this hunt... and based on what it found, I now cant wait for winter! I typically hunt with reactivity 3, silencer -1, disc 6, sens 90. I've done plenty of air tests and ground tests and I know what reactivity does to depth, so I finally decided to drop it. I dropped reactivity to 1, Silencer 0, disc 0, sens 95, used 4 tones and burned the first two tones for iron @ 200khz with breaks at 0 and 8. I really like the Deus running fast, but cranking it up hot was pretty awesome. I've picked this place over and I actually got some deep signals I was very surprised about... the shotgun shell was a huge let down, but it was down about 9 inches and came in so smooth... it sounded like a copper! The GS button and NY buttons were all between 6-8" deep... its pretty hard to get a smooth signal on a thin piece of brass like those buttons when they're surrounded by nails. So the new program was a success and I will definitely be using it some more.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That site just continues to give and give....and no doubt your perseverance at this place has made you a better detectorist. Most would have left that place long ago. I have likely been guilty of moving on to quickly in the past. I'm always so excited to search for the next place on my list. I have a long list of sites that I need to revisit at some point. Love your posts and presentation pal

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe all of the bone handled utensils you're pulling out of there. I've never dug one and never really thought about them until I've seen the ones you've been digging. Are you re-digging the pit every time or are digging different sections....forgive me if you've already addressed this.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I do t even know where to begin. First, great presentation. The care you show is inspirational. I also really enjoy the four pictures of the knife transformation. Very cool!

The iron key would be my favorite if you didn't find that bottle, and the knife. But then again, all your finds is like choosing between supermodels. Great show man!!!

Tell your wife I said I'm glad you spent all that time positing, and your post was inspirational;) lol

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
The number of wood, bone and antler handled utensils you're finding at that site is amazing!! I never seem to find those, and its been a blast following your digs as you continue to recover some awesome pieces of history. And that cool pontilled bottle is a miracle find in that pit. Not sure how it survived, but now it will be preserved forever. Love your posts, but even more the passion. Talk to you soon bud ....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread