🥇 BANNER Was happy with a pound coin, then gold in the woods !!!!

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Just had a stroll in the local woods. Only digging high pitched signals, that way avoiding a lot of pain. Was pleased to find a pound coin, worth finding. Then no more than a few inches down, this. A lovely gold cuff link, both parts in the same hole. No hall mark, but a nice clear makers mark SH. Not sure of the age, but looks hand made. Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_8114.JPG
    IMG_8114.JPG
    630.1 KB · Views: 804
  • IMG_8115.JPG
    IMG_8115.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_8116.JPG
    IMG_8116.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_8117.JPG
    IMG_8117.JPG
    335.4 KB · Views: 644
  • IMG_8118.JPG
    IMG_8118.JPG
    307.1 KB · Views: 727
Upvote 93

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner find, Awesome!!

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome find ,brilliant!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
If all those who said they voted banner had actually done so, I think this would already be at the top. Just a reminder: you still have to hit that small little button to the right to make your banner vote count.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I really like the cuff links Rob. I mean, they're a cut above most other banner items. Pure gold is extremely rare, especially back then. Big congrats

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting on the banner bandwagon for this find. 18th century gold jewelry, cufflinks in particular are exceedingly rare. How rare? Goggle 18th century gold cufflinks and you'll see only 1 or 2 examples (usually Stuart Crystal). 19th century/Victorian Period is most of what you'll see. I would say have them tested (18th century will be 22K-24K), but I don't'b believe you need to have it checked. They definitely look 18th century! Only aristocracy and the exceedingly wealthy could afford gold cufflinks in the time period. Awesome find! :notworthy:

P.S. You might consider going back to that spot and thoroughly checking for the small linking gold bar/chain. As both end were found together, it would make send that the missing piece is close. If I were you, I would detect or even hand sift a small area around the hole that produced the ends. Good luck if you do!

Last edited:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! And both to boot!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A brilliant find. Awesome for sure, better than most gold coins, not to mention you got the both of them.
Sure you have enough votes now, as if they even really need more than one or two votes.
The type of find that everyone is looking for.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Many thanks for all kind comments on this find. I didn't realize just how rare it is. I did of course widen the hole, and extend the search area. The two sides of the cuff link were practically on top of one another. So you would expect the fixing to be with them. As I said at the time I didn't realize the rarity. In an hour or so, I'm walking back up to the wood, to look around the find spot some more. Will take the camera, that should put the kiss of death on it :laughing7:. Robert.

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice finds.... love that cuff link!

strick

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many thanks for all kind comments on this find. I didn't realize just how rare it is. I did of course widen the hole, and extend the search area. The two sides of the cuff link were practically on top of one another. So you would expect the fixing to be with them. As I said at the time I didn't realize the rarity. In an hour or so, I'm walking back up to the wood, to look around the find spot some more. Will take the camera, that should put the kiss of death on it :laughing7:. Robert.

I knew they were super rare, pretty sure yours is only the 2nd of this type ever posted on Tnet, & will be for some time.

Last edited:

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Early cufflinks are one of my favorite relics to find. You have knocked it out of the park with this pair of hand carved gold links. Based on the deep gold color they are obviously a high carat. If you aren't lucky enough to find the missing link I would take them to a custom jeweler and have one made for them. Easy banner choice for me, congratulations!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
I just tried voting banner, but got some kind of error message. Hopefully you already have enough to get it on top. I keep coming back to this thread and drooling over these old gold beauties

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Just got back from the woods. Made the hole deeper and wider, but no success finding the missing link. Here's some pictures, the find in my hand, is I'm told anti aircraft shrapnel. German bombers used to fly over this way, on their way to bomb Sheffield, during WW2 . Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_8124.JPG
    IMG_8124.JPG
    634.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_8125.JPG
    IMG_8125.JPG
    807 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_8127.JPG
    IMG_8127.JPG
    373.1 KB · Views: 80

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Those cuffs are beautiful. They look heavy and rich - 18-22 kt?. Fantastic find!

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner!! That eagle is amazing on the cuff links. I've only ever found one set, intact in 10k, but only a floral pattern. Those are probably the coolest ones I've seen

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely awesome rare find!! Congrats to you big time! I'm definitely putting my banner vote in. Wow!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't stop looking at these damn links!!!! Incredible I say

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those links are incredible!!!! I love links....of any sort. A matching high Kt gold set with beautiful hand engraving....phenomenal! I have never found one speck of gold. So those look like some sort of pink unicorn to me. My small brain can't believe they're real. I have to vote BANNER on these....even though I said I wasn't doing that anymore. 8-)

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much (ok maybe one punch in the face) over not finding early gold... it is tough! I can't imagine how many sites I've hunted and how many old targets I've dug the last 15 years and all I have to show for it is 3 gold items. A gold band that dates early 1900s, ones that dates 1802, and a Victorian period snake ring. The last I dug is probably near a decade ago. I'm sure it will happen for you, but could be a while.... could be next week too, you know how it goes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread