Were BAAACK! MARATHON DIG--Seateds, Spanish, Military!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're BAAACK! MARATHON DIG--Seateds, Spanish, Military!!

Hello All,

Yes, you haven't heard from us in a while. Yes, we've been swamped with work (forgive the pun!) and unable to dig when free due to rain, and a crazy series of events that has taken out our best sites due to weird plowing schedules and development. :BangHead: Here's the video for your viewing pleasure:

Ole Shangalang and I decided to go do some digging--several days of digging as a matter of fact!--and we hit some GREAT finds! I put my new digging boots on and got out in the fields! :laughing7: Been a while coming on this post and video because I just ain't had time. Been too busy with work to get a chance to clean finds, edit, and post, but with some digging days rolling out in the near future, I figured I needed to get it all cleaned up and posted for everyone to see and enjoy--and so we could get back in the fields and dig another handful of finds!

The first day we were at a backup to our backup site, and managed to find some decent items including a couple of CW bullets, nipple protector made from lead, and a nipple protector chain. I heard AAAAIIIIEEEEEEEEE!! from out in the fields and came running over to Shang and he had a prewar Eagle "A" Button with some gilding on it!

HPIM5395.JPG HPIM5396.JPG IMG_2225.JPG

I got a real scare when I dug this little charm, BTW. DEFINITELY thought it was a one dollar gold coin for a hot second. Exactly the right size and shape!

HPIM5430.JPG
Well at this point, Shang-o-Lang had made all the good finds, and my other consolation had been a nasty silver "war nickel" :laughing9: and some filthy relic bits... Then all of a sudden I had a nice pack rivet signal and dug an 1800 SPANISH SILVER HALF REAL!!!

HPIM5388.JPG HPIM5390.JPG HPIM5391.JPG

HPIM5436.JPG HPIM5437.JPG

We ended up going scouting after lunch with no success except for a couple plantation tokens, powder flask top, Wheaties and some other GawGag.

On day two we hit the cane fields early at first light and it was a froggy day.

HPIM5386.JPG

We took an excursion first into an area we'd had our eyes on a for a while. Ended up being another frustrating mixed site (the finds photo didn't make it into the video, but here it is).

1.JPG

New stuff everywhere (aluminum can) and some old mixed in (clay pipe stems, and a perfect little English Gun Flint stole the show!!). I did dig a large, silver, Catholic medallion, which is a common find for Louisiana. In short, we think there is some potential to this field, but we'd have to dig our A$$e$ off to find it, so we will go elsewhere and put this one on the back burner for now...

In that same field I dug this brass tag from an agricultural engine from the 1904-1924 time frame (when this company was in business). Would love to know what it came from, if anyone has any ideas. I know it's the "New Way" company from Lansing Michigan. Model B Type C, 7 Horsepower. The serial number is #1415. Are there any serial number listings from this company available that would narrow the engine to what it was used for and what year it was manufactured?

2.JPG

We decided to go elsewhere after eating lunch on the tailgate of the truck, and we hit the cane again. Pretty soon I heard crazy Cajun cheering and went running to see what ole Shang had found. It was his SECOND military button dug during the marathon hunt--an eagle button that was gilded and said "CADET" on it. Turned out to be a WEST POINT button. ("U.S. Military Academy") I was Stoked to see this button come up. (Have never even seen one dug!) But once it was clean, it was a BEAUTY. Has a SCOVILL MFG CO Backmark.

204_1181.JPG IMG_2547.JPG

Then I dug a questionable signal (probably on edge) and saw the FLASH OF SILVER in the hole! It was a half dime! 1858-O!! Beautiful little coin!

204_1185.JPG 204_1187.JPG

HPIM5438.JPG HPIM5439.JPG

As the shadows got long and the heat got hotter, we were headed out and almost underneath my car I got a nice 82 reading on the F75 and dug a BARBER QUARTER! 1892! Crazy that I had never dug one of these until over 20 years into my detecting career and then all of a sudden they were everywhere. I dug my first in 2014, then two in 2015, and I already have one for 2016. Funny how that works...

204_1193.JPG HPIM5431.JPG HPIM5432.JPG

Two great finds came to light only after we cleaned up all our relics and junk. The first one was a piece of antebellum brass jewelry with an "emerald" paste stone in it. I love digging finds like this. Couldn't tell what it was until the mud was removed!

HPIM5435.JPG
The second find was Shang's THIRD military button for the marathon hunt--and for the year--a 1700s British Navy Cuff Button!! :headbang:

IMG_2548.JPG

Here are the rest of the finds photos:

HPIM5443.JPG HPIM5444.JPG IMG_2209.JPG

HPIM5428.JPG HPIM5440.JPG IMG_2229.JPG

I also eyeballed a lot of pottery and glass, and due to the fact that these were "mixed sites," we saw lots of marbles (clay and glass), baby doll arms and legs, white porcelain underwear buttons, and the likes:

HPIM5426.JPG

Best Wishes,

The CaneField Bandits

Last edited:
Upvote 40

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The Cane Bandits are back! And with such style as always. The West Point button is a killer find man. Spanish nod seated to boot, well that's spectacular. I haven't been out in a week, but man I can really enjoy myself anyway with posts like yours Buck.

Cheers brotha'

Steve

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool finds! great video.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cane Bandits are back! And with such style as always. The West Point button is a killer find man. Spanish nod seated to boot, well that's spectacular. I haven't been out in a week, but man I can really enjoy myself anyway with posts like yours Buck.

Cheers brotha'

Steve

Thanks so much, my friend. I'm glad to see you holding fast here at Tnet. So many of the great folk have left over the 10 years I've been on the forum, it's nice to see one of the "good guys" staying put. :thumbsup:

Best Wishes to you on your Next Hunt,

Buck

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds from you guys as usual Buck. One of your posts and or videos always get me psyched up to get out there. Congrats to you all.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds from you guys as usual Buck. One of your posts and or videos always get me psyched up to get out there. Congrats to you all.

Thanks so much my friend. I certainly look forward to seeing your posts too! You've had some DREAM finds posted on the forum--and I'll echo the comments I made above: It's great to see some of the "old guard" still here after all these years.

Cheers and HH,

Buck

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coins and relics. I love that West Point button! Keep it up and thank you for sharing.

Steve

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some really interesting finds BB! I like the West Point button, coins, Enfield nipple protector and chain, heck I like it all. The gold charm DOES look like a gold coin. Maybe the emerald is real Bud. HH, Q.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coins and relics. I love that West Point button! Keep it up and thank you for sharing.

Steve

Thanks so much, Steve! Hope all is going well for you this year and wishing you good luck and HH,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really interesting finds BB! I like the West Point button, coins, Enfield nipple protector and chain, heck I like it all. The gold charm DOES look like a gold coin. Maybe the emerald is real Bud. HH, Q.

Thanks so much, buddy. The next field over from that Enfield chain was where Shane dug two matching pieces of an Enfield trigger guard in two different years. One more piece of the trigger guard and he'll have the whole thing. The USMA button was a real surprise. I'm gonna post that thing I think may be a blown out fuse. You can see it on the bottom right in one of the photos, beside a keyhole and below a brass spoon handle.

Cheers,

Buck

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome relic dig-a-thon!!!
You guys came back on fire!
Congrats awesome finds!

How are your back and knees? Mine hurt just looking at all!

Awesome gilt on those buttons. Just think after being in the ground for all those years they still have that much gold left on them...our modern dollar coins have none left after just days in the ground.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man its good to see you posting BuckleBoy! I've definitely been missing these Cane Field Bandit posts. Once again, you don't ever disappoint.... killer post and video, with an excellent variety of finds. As always, looking forward to your next one.

-Brad

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Chagrinned to see all the loot you're getting. Your finds are my bucket list. Seriously, congratulations on all the fantastic coins, brass, and Enfield Nipple protector with chain. (Have I lead a sheltered life or what). Tried that as Nipple Protector with chain first, and rapidly realized my error. Enlightenment!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Yes, you haven't heard from us in a while. Yes, we've been swamped with work (forgive the pun!) and unable to dig when free due to rain, and a crazy series of events that has taken out our best sites due to weird plowing schedules and development. :BangHead: Here's the video for your viewing pleasure:

Ole Shangalang and I decided to go do some digging--several days of digging as a matter of fact!--and we hit some GREAT finds! I put my new digging boots on and got out in the fields! :laughing7: Been a while coming on this post and video because I just ain't had time. Been too busy with work to get a chance to clean finds, edit, and post, but with some digging days rolling out in the near future, I figured I needed to get it all cleaned up and posted for everyone to see and enjoy--and so we could get back in the fields and dig another handful of finds!

The first day we were at a backup to our backup site, and managed to find some decent items including a couple of CW bullets, nipple protector made from lead, and a nipple protector chain. I heard AAAAIIIIEEEEEEEEE!! from out in the fields and came running over to Shang and he had a prewar Eagle "A" Button with some gilding on it!

View attachment 1316488 View attachment 1316490 View attachment 1316489

I got a real scare when I dug this little charm, BTW. DEFINITELY thought it was a one dollar gold coin for a hot second. Exactly the right size and shape!

View attachment 1316525
Well at this point, Shang-o-Lang had made all the good finds, and my other consolation had been a nasty silver "war nickel" :laughing9: and some filthy relic bits... Then all of a sudden I had a nice pack rivet signal and dug an 1800 SPANISH SILVER HALF REAL!!!

View attachment 1316491 View attachment 1316492 View attachment 1316493

View attachment 1316494 View attachment 1316495

We ended up going scouting after lunch with no success except for a couple plantation tokens, powder flask top, Wheaties and some other GawGag.

On day two we hit the cane fields early at first light and it was a froggy day.

View attachment 1316496

We took an excursion first into an area we'd had our eyes on a for a while. Ended up being another frustrating mixed site (the finds photo didn't make it into the video, but here it is).

View attachment 1316529

New stuff everywhere (aluminum can) and some old mixed in (clay pipe stems, and a perfect little English Gun Flint stole the show!!). I did dig a large, silver, Catholic medallion, which is a common find for Louisiana. In short, we think there is some potential to this field, but we'd have to dig our A$$e$ off to find it, so we will go elsewhere and put this one on the back burner for now...

In that same field I dug this brass tag from an agricultural engine from the 1904-1924 time frame (when this company was in business). Would love to know what it came from, if anyone has any ideas. I know it's the "New Way" company from Lansing Michigan. Model B Type C, 7 Horsepower. The serial number is #1415. Are there any serial number listings from this company available that would narrow the engine to what it was used for and what year it was manufactured?

View attachment 1316531

We decided to go elsewhere after eating lunch on the tailgate of the truck, and we hit the cane again. Pretty soon I heard crazy Cajun cheering and went running to see what ole Shang had found. It was his SECOND military button dug during the marathon hunt--an eagle button that was gilded and said "CADET" on it. Turned out to be a WEST POINT button. ("U.S. Military Academy") I was Stoked to see this button come up. (Have never even seen one dug!) But once it was clean, it was a BEAUTY. Has a SCOVILL MFG CO Backmark.

View attachment 1316498 View attachment 1316499

Then I dug a questionable signal (probably on edge) and saw the FLASH OF SILVER in the hole! It was a half dime! 1858-O!! Beautiful little coin!

View attachment 1316502 View attachment 1316503

View attachment 1316504 View attachment 1316505

As the shadows got long and the heat got hotter, we were headed out and almost underneath my car I got a nice 82 reading on the F75 and dug a BARBER QUARTER! 1892! Crazy that I had never dug one of these until over 20 years into my detecting career and then all of a sudden they were everywhere. I dug my first in 2014, then two in 2015, and I already have one for 2016. Funny how that works...

View attachment 1316506 View attachment 1316507 View attachment 1316508

Two great finds came to light only after we cleaned up all our relics and junk. The first one was a piece of antebellum brass jewelry with an "emerald" paste stone in it. I love digging finds like this. Couldn't tell what it was until the mud was removed!

View attachment 1316512
The second find was Shang's THIRD military button for the marathon hunt--and for the year--a 1700s British Navy Cuff Button!! :headbang:

View attachment 1316515

Here are the rest of the finds photos:

View attachment 1316519 View attachment 1316522 View attachment 1316523

View attachment 1316524 View attachment 1316526 View attachment 1316527

I also eyeballed a lot of pottery and glass, and due to the fact that these were "mixed sites," we saw lots of marbles (clay and glass), baby doll arms and legs, white porcelain underwear buttons, and the likes:

View attachment 1316528

Best Wishes,

The CaneField Bandits

I was wondering & starting to worry about y'all, Glad to see the AWESOME finds y'all made.

I like it all but the Nipple Protector With chain is Cool. & Coins are Bad A%$ & the Buttons are what I dream of.
Nice as Heck! Gun flint too.
Davers

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro, Teknetics G2+, Garret AT pinpointer, deteknix xpointer, gray ghost originals
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that's a great 2 days for sure. A ton of awesome finds!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you guys back in action!

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012