Old Homesite Find...Black Powder Double Barrel Shot Gun Barrel

southernbandit

Mar 21, 2003
Scottsboro Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Whites DXF
This past Saturday I went out to an old homesite with a buddy of mine from work and did some detecting and came across this :D. Looks to me like a double barrel black powder shot gun barrel. :o I can't find any marks or anything on it. It was about 19 inches long and looks to be about a 12 gauge (in looking at the size of the barrel).It had been driven straight into the ground for some reason with the nipple holes facing up. The other piece of metal was found close by. I think it is some kind of harness piece or part of a collar for a horse harness. This was a very old place, there is no wood or tin anywhere just some rocks so you can tell there was something there. Keep on diggen!!
southernbandit

Attachments

• MVC-004F.JPG
    MVC-004F.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 885
  • MVC-007F.JPG
    MVC-007F.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 877
  • MVC-009F.JPG
    MVC-009F.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 807
  • MVC-116F.JPG
    MVC-116F.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 766
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Finds, Congrats

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool stuff! Looks like a good place for some great relics!

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like a BP shotgun barrel to me!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yeah that's cool! Keep at it!

gaspars ego

Jan 29, 2005
florida
Detector(s) used
MPX DIGITAL
wow thats an awesome find to bad you didn't find the rest of the shotgun. how deep was it and what kind of MD are you using.

OP
OP
S

southernbandit

Mar 21, 2003
Scottsboro Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Whites DXF
Thanks everyone, We are going back this Saturday and I am going to look for the rest of it. I'm using a Whites DXF and I was in relic mode, the shot gun barrel looked to have been driven straight into the ground with the nipples facing up at about 6 inches deep. I will post anything else we find. We are not sure if it's a old home site or if it was something else. There isn't anything there but a bunch of stacked rocks and a wall of stacked rocks with no morter what so ever.. I don't see any wood of any kind and have only found a few nails. Will let you know.
Keep on diggen!
Bandit

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it's worth, Bandit, my wife agrees on the horse harness part. She is an avid rider, and agrees that it is harness related, just pretty old. Cool finds!! Good luck!!

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
Those 'barrel' holes should be clear thru. Are there shells rusted in the breach? Doesn't look so from here.
I have worried(not really) over a booby trap set up near a homesteaders cache.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Southern, maybe I'm shooting blanks but could that dbl bbl be a pointer for something else? Would try looking in the direction of the piled rocks, could be a cache nearby or could be the owner of the shotgun is nearby. Just a thought.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
That is a great relic find. How about posting it again undre Relics for the guys who seek just such a treasure? Congrats on the find. Nice pix too. Spotz

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Cool Finds!
stoney56 said:
Southern, maybe I'm shooting blanks but could that dbl bbl be a pointer for something else? Would try looking in the direction of the piled rocks, could be a cache nearby or could be the owner of the shotgun is nearby. Just a thought.
I was thinking a long the same lines. It could be a marker for something that is much deeper in the ground...
Also, I was thinking the same thing about the ends of the barrel,,, Where were the holes for the shells?,,, Duh...

OP
OP
S

southernbandit

Mar 21, 2003
Scottsboro Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Whites DXF
Wow! :o you know I never thought of it being some kind of indicator for something even better. We spent most all day last Saturday just walking around the area where the stacked rocks were. This Saturday were going to comb a lot more of the area around it. This is a black powder double barrel shot gun, it doesn't use shells. You loaded it from the open end of the barrel with Powder, a wad and shot or slug. One of you asked me to put this under relics also, I will today!
Thanks to all of you for your replies, and I hope you all have a Great Day!
Keep on diggen!
Bandit

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in those days they didn't throw anything away and sooner or later it served some useful purpose. ?I agree that it's probably some kind of marker, perhaps a grave? ?Keep diggin' and at about 6' you should find out!

OP
OP
S

southernbandit

Mar 21, 2003
Scottsboro Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Whites DXF
I don't think it was a grave of any kind. :o The barrel was real close to the rock foundation. I added a couple pictures of the area and the rocks we are hunting around.

Attachments

• rockfoundation.JPG
    rockfoundation.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 665
  • rocks2.JPG
    rocks2.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 611

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions