1807 Draped Bust LC, 2 Buffs and a 1935 Merc! Dig Those Shotgun Shells!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally found a decent spot in the woods today. It's a popular spot for hunters, so it's full of shotgun shells and spent shell casings. But it's an old spot, so there's a few good coins hiding in there as well.

After digging up a dozen shell casings, my first good finds were 2 Buffs about a foot apart. A toasted 1923 and a toasted 1925. Then I found a really nice 1935 Merc about ten feet away from the Buffs. Good day so far!

Moved to another spot with fewer shells and I pulled out an 1807 draped bust large cent! Talk about a surprise! Rang up as a quarter, so I was hoping for a Barber. Not going to complain, though! It's really toasted, but I'm pretty sure it's from 1807.

Here's some pics of the coins and a sample of the endless shell casings that I found:

1807 lc dirty.JPG 1807 lc dirty 2.JPG 1807 draped bust front.JPG 1807 draped bust back.JPG 1935 merc dirty.JPG 1935 merc back dirty.JPG 2 buffs front.JPG 2 buffs back.JPG shotgun shells.JPG

Upvote 17

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You sure do pull some greats finds out of those RI woods- congrats neighbor!!

-- Jeff --

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! Those are some great coins! I really like the LC!

cologneman

Apr 6, 2015
Northeast Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and XP Deus. Garrett Carrot and MI-6.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya it seems hunters liked to hang around cellar holes and shoot their guns and unfortunately we the detectorists have to deal with it. Anyway cool finds with old coin dates over 100 years apart!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions