Calvery button? Any opinions welcomed...

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this button in VA....appears to be pewter with an iron shank. Reason I ask is it doesn't look traditional. Thanks! image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 8

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you might have a nice tin back Confederate Cavalry button there. I just don't recall seeing that particular style and don't have my button books handy. Hopefully someone will have a positive ID for you. It may be a more rare type.

Steve

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet button! Anything Confederate is a great find. Congrats and thanks for sharing [emoji106]

HH, Relic Nut

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Ooo, the same seller mentioned above has this 2-piece Confederate Cavalry currently for sale. However, note that his has a round shank whereas this OP's has a square shank. In any case, this eBay seller looks like a potential resource to contact.

aj

A word of wisdom ..take their word with a grain of salt .. nuf said

williedigit

Oct 24, 2015
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and WHITES SILVER EAGLE also MINELAB 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a lead infield on that might have been made in a campsite for a coat replacement I have an ( A ) button like the civil war era

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beauty of a button, and I have not seen a pewter example of this type before!

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A word of wisdom ..take their word with a grain of salt .. nuf said

Agreed! The seller's opinion is a data point, and one data point does not make a trend; however, several data points can. That's why researching a find takes time and effort.

Oh. OP, nice button!!

aj

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
might be a made in field sand cast lead replacement button ..using a real one for a mold

one of the oddest buttons I ever found was a partial button --it was about 3/4 ths of a sand cast button made at a confederate picket post site on the st marys river (florida / ga border) on the florida side --at a low water area civil war river crossing point --it was for a texas "star" button design that had a letter at each end point of the star... I guesss they ran out of hot lead as they were pouring them and not being complete it was left behind in the sand ...several items were found there but that was the coolest item to me ..I gave it to a good friend to add to his button collection another odd item was a civil war era cartridge type 32 cal pistol bullet that had been pulled from its cartridge then a groove was cut into it long ways and then it was crushed shut with a set of pliers onto a line to be used as a fishing weight ...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread