sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An old local park is undergoing some construction and they have scraped away the top eight or so inches of dirt. This park has given up hundreds of silvers over the years but it was starting to dry up. Well yesterday in this construction area I managed to pull out a few wheats, a 1902 Indian and a 1917 Mercury dime that was in remarkable condition.

I also found a Chinese coin. Like many I have found it was quite hard to read due to the buildup that had developed on it over the years. I tried a variety of methods to clean the dirt and corrosion while maintaining the patina but nothing was really working. I finally decided to just use some lemon juice and baking soda which cleaned it up pretty well. Yes, yes, I know that coins shouldn't be cleaned, but I'm not concerned with the numismatic value since I don't sell any of my finds anyway.

All that being said, does anyone have any suggestions on what the age of it may be? I know that there are different dynasties and various ways the Chinese date their coins, but is this one older or more contemporary?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464391859.193126.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464391882.043226.jpg

Upvote 2

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not my area, but it looks very similar to a Empire, General Issue, Peking Hu Pu Mint (Board of Revenue) 1821-51. Nice finds.

TheCoolest

Jun 26, 2012
Salish Sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Garrett AT Pro/AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread