rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0527161753.jpg
So, one of my last posts was about a run in with the law. I mentioned I'd probably make the weekly paper and I was right. Doing no damage - correct. Making no money- um, mostly right. Two silver dimes might not have much monetary value but to me, priceless. Anyhow, I'm just hoping a city councilman doesn't see this and think( what? Someone's diggin up our city parks. We need to do something about this.) What do you do? By the way, got rained out at work today and had an hour to swing. Went to my closest spot and pull out a rosie. 0527161738.jpg

Attachments

• 0527161737.jpg
    0527161737.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
Upvote 18

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats not the OP's news article, tanz 82 posted that one.
2 different people & arrticles.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a way, you're lucky, all our local Councils have already banned Public Detecting.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Was not Hurting anything Or Making Money" ?
so apparently the person who complained
must think detectors get rich off the Parks
& felt the City should get a Kickback.

Perhaps the person complaining wants all the bits of zinclons

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! That would be justice!

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked at a cemetery for 4 yrs, when the Boss found out I had a detector he had me scan the whole cemetery for lot corner pins. I found over $ 300 in change which I threw into The lunch pizza fund. We had a few complaints about this but the Boss told them to Piss - off in no uncertain terms, there's no laws against this. I avoid cemeteries while detecting, but only to keep the peace. If you go to the Northd. Memorial Park in Stonington, Pa. right now you'll find an AT- Pro hanging in the lunch room.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
While we're on the subject, how's this for an article that appeared a few years ago in my small hometown's newspaper. The usual prima donna archaeologist on his pedestal again trying to make us all look like a bunch of pillaging thieves. But the guy placing the ad didn't use good sense either ....

detecting article Aug 2012.jpg

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What damn good is the past if its left forgotten, rotting away in the ground ?

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The park rangers and police are giving hunters a hard time in Mecklenburg Co. No digging in park is the rule they use. Cant even sift in the sand with strainer but they let the kids dig away in the VB courts. The tell me they catch people digging up plants on the greenways where there were homes at one time. I have seen that happen. Fought it from every angle except a lawsuit which is in the works. Still go to the smaller less used parks but keep an eye out.

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barker dead on about not asking questions if detecting is allowed. You don't want someone dusting off some old ordinance that's never been enforced, or worse yet your questions might get bumped up to a higher authority that doesn't know anything about metal detecting and just thinks no one should be digging in our parks so the next think you know detecting isn't allowed. As long as a place is not a historic spot, or your not on federal land and your park has no signs restricting metal detecting it should be fair game. It's been awhile since I've been able to dirt fish but when I do it's early in the morning, especially Sunday mornings, or anytime when my parks aren't busy. As soon as the crowds start coming in I'm out of there and move on to other spots. As long as you dig a neat plug and leave the grass looking the same you shouldn't have a problem. If people are watching me I go out of my way to pickup visible trash too. :laughing7:

By the way nice silver find too:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the archaeologist needs to trip to England for an education on relic recovery & perserving the past.

MD'ers donate a lot of relics they find to museums and the like.

As for those "decaying as we speak" zincs ...i'd be happy to leave them in the ground.
The archie's paycheck should be buried zincs, then we'll see how fast he digs them up.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They say there's no such thing as bad publicity but I'm not so ure about that.

It's pretty cool you made the paper and even more cool that they ultimately left you alone.

oh and btw; to get rid of your extra thumbnail click on "settings" in the upper right, scroll down on the left and click on "manage thumbnails" (I think) and then locate the one you want to delete, check the box then scroll down to the bottom and click the delete button. Refresh your page and it will be gone.
Just make sure you check ONLY the one you want to delete.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the dork bag Professor would rather the relics go to some political hack to give to their campaign donors or their mistress, maybe the clad should stay in the ground since it costs more to mint it than it is worth :--(. government is only good at screwing up whatever it meddles in. just something to ponder as I gaze at a photo of Hillary
While we're on the subject, how's this for an article that appeared a few years ago in my small hometown's newspaper. The usual prima donna archaeologist on his pedestal again trying to make us all look like a bunch of pillaging thieves. But the guy placing the ad didn't use good sense either ....

View attachment 1319143

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
State parks are ALWAYS off limits. City parks and county parks usually not. Just make sure to read any signs posted as to limits. I bet that was some old dude that called the popo. He probably quit metal detecting long ago and was jealous that you would find something that he never will. Parks are always good places.....just crank up that discrimination a little more.

OP
OP
rainorshine

rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love when a thread can bring this much attention / passion to a specific topic. Thank you tnet for bringing together so many different people with so many different opinions and for being a safe harbor for those opinions to be expressed

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread