Back up to the hidden cabin

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headed back up to the cabin in the middle of nowhere again today. Hope to find some more silver but that didn't happen maybe I found the only one up there. But today I did find a whole bunch of buttons marked Rockford overalls company. Another bottom of a shotgun shell the dates before 1900 at least a piece of one. Some more old shells from rifles again before 1900 I believe most everything up there is. One marked wra co 40 65 wcf and the others just have an h on them they look like 44 and maybe some 22. Found a cool old bottle top and some other miscellaneous suspender things I believe And some weird hooked key looking thing. Found a cool tool I think this might of been for making shingles or splitting wood someway.looks handmade. And a really big bullet I don't know what they were trying to kill up there with this thing but there's a picture of that I think it might be 50 caliber not sure. Anyway I'll head out there again in a bit hopefully they'll be some more silver I can't believe I would just find the only one the first time I go up there in the first 15 minutes but maybe. The area is Trashy it's going to take a bit to work this place out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    807.3 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    751.9 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 6

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep up the detecting at the Cabin. The finds so far show good things are probably still there . The Axe is a fantastic find. Looks hand Forged. :thumbsup:

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds even if not silver. It's there somewhere and your efforts are sure to be rewarded. Thank you for sharing.

OP
OP
D

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the ax the bottom is the sharp part and it looks like they would hammer the top.tip is flat.was this used for making shingles or short planks of wood

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The "axe" thing is called a froe. It was used with a wood mallet for splitting wood - everything from shingles to strips of wood over 20' long. In days past, it was much easier to find trees that were clear of knots and limbs - not so today. Anyway, the froe was used to split wood into lengths, and the wood would split along the grain - making it very strong, and also well suited for steam bending.

Once a billet was separated from the log (usually done while wood is green....freshly cut), the billet would then be worked further using other hand tools; oftentimes a spokeshave.

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe your key hook is a "button hook" a tool used to pull shoe "buttons" through leather slots. Instead of shoelaces. image.jpg I found this one in a 1912 Wa State logging camp

I like those overall buttons, looks like a great site to me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions