Pure Clad Frustration

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I just went to the local sled hill to learn more about my dings and buzzes of my ACE350 and pay my dues.
In a few hours I pulled about 2$ of basic clad. I was sure hoping to find some lost rings from the winter, since I can only buy my AT Pro if I find the funds! I did go past an old "indian trail" location and found this wierd piece of cooper.

But today I get some great permission from an old friend to detect his grandparents 1800 something farm and again-- only some modern dimes and a brass buckle. Man o man, old farms are tough to hunt with all the beeps and iron and can slaw. Oh Boy

How long will it take to find a silver Rosie or better or a IHP or something that'll get the heart racing. I need something besides clad even on my old homestead permissions

Upvote 7
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Take your time and the "good stuff" will come your way! Learn your machine and if you can purchase, search with a smaller coil and turn down the sensitivity. Hunting farms and old homesteads require patients and different hunting tactics than the usual park or school yard. This said, even those last two require careful (different) hunting methods to be productive (silver, gold and keeper coins). I wish you well!

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they're losing clad they're losing other things. Rings included, keep at it :)

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
It will happen!! I think it takes most people some time to find their first silver but when you do, more often than not it starts flowing in! The sled hill sound like a great place, go where the kids were back in the day.

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yesterday I just went to the local sled hill to learn more about my dings and buzzes of my ACE350 and pay my dues.
But today I get some great permission from an old friend to detect his grandparents 1800 something farm and again-- only some modern dimes and a brass buckle. Man o man, old farms are tough to hunt with all the beeps and iron and can slaw. Oh Boy

How long will it take to find a silver Rosie or better or a IHP or something that'll get the heart racing. I need something besides clad even on my old homestead permissions
I'm an occasional hunter, chasing 1700s relics here in CT. I started like you, on clad sites and had fun....and was learning without realizing it.

Then I wanted silver. So I would go to older grade schools that had woods near the playground. I found more than my share of silver, and even my first Barber dime in those woods... but..

then I wanted the really old colonial coins and big coppers. Those don't come easy unless you find an unknown homesite that does not look like there was a home... and I found my share of coppers and a 1726 one reale. Right near that 1726 a year later, found a 1926 merc dime and was bummed out..LOL it was 200 years too new :)

Now, I mostly like finding colonial personal items, fancy buttons, shoe and knee buckles, whatever. It's not easy to find a really great site, but when you do, it is exciting.

I will comment about that field of yours. I have one favorite field that gets plowed each year. There is no known record of a home, but I am positive there was. There will be tons of cool things if a house was there, but if it was not close to the home, you must not give up so easy. Another field that is far from homesites; I have hunted it real hard for many times, because I know there has to be something there, and I want to see if I have the endurance to find it. So far, two 1700s buttons and one completely toasted 1700s copper. There must be more there, so I will always return after plowing/harvest.

Another thing. learn your 350 inside out. It would have found most all of my best finds, I'd bet. Nothing wrong with wanting a ATpro or ATgold, but you do have a decent detector to find stuff.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Clad adds up - I am a cladist myself & I dig most all signals anywhere from foil to silver in hopes for micro jewelry - rings & other. Your jewelry will come & pay attention to the signal & learn. ACE 350's have found a lot of treasures & are very good machines - anyway thanks for sharing & wish you many more great finds with your ACE 350.

Texas ED

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
heymirth, the 1st thing you need to do is change your mind set. Just go out knowing your going to dig some silver. It's worked for me. I have dug most of my keeper coins from permissions in town and not at any schools, parks, or other public lands. There were quite a few fanatical MDers here, where I live, over the decades. The prominent sites that stick out and say "hunt me" have probably been pounded already. I have better luck doing older homes that aren't as prominent, that are on side streets in the older sections of town. Keep the faith, just know that you are going to dig silver and do some research using old maps and aerial views. Most of this is easily found on the internet.

Good Luck, I see silver coins in your future.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep digging, keep Diggin, I tumbled $75 in quarters so far since last August that my daughter will use them in the arcades. So clad is not a total waste. HH

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
heymirth, the 1st thing you need to do is change your mind set. Just go out knowing your going to dig some silver. It's worked for me. I have dug most of my keeper coins from permissions in town and not at any schools, parks, or other public lands. There were quite a few fanatical MDers here, where I live, over the decades. The prominent sites that stick out and say "hunt me" have probably been pounded already. I have better luck doing older homes that aren't as prominent, that are on side streets in the older sections of town. Keep the faith, just know that you are going to dig silver and do some research using old maps and aerial views. Most of this is easily found on the internet.

Good Luck, I see silver coins in your future.
I agree a positive attitude is everything

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Slow the coil down and relax... the good finds will come!

Enjoy it :occasion14:

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It will all come in time. I have one sports field that I have spent probably twenty plus hours on. Only silver was a cheesy turquoise ring. Half a dozen 1965 coins, 63 penny. Close to twenty dollars in clad. But no silver coins. Just have to be patient. Are you planning on water hunting? That was my only reason for choosing the ATPro. Also try to find a vendor that might cut you a deal on the small coil and some waterproof headphones if you buy it all at once. Good luck.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like this idea of hunting sledding hills, lots of little kids in the old days likely lost their silver dimes sledding down these hills. :treasurechest::thumbsup:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mindset is to find coins.........and 99% of the time it is clad, but it adds up. Take out the cost of batteries and it is free money that you wouldn't have otherwise. The few meager pieces of silver (and other interesting goodies) I've found have been on permission properties. Parks and tot lots are good for replenishing your battery fund and learning your detector.........just keep at it and good things will come your way!!

OP
OP
heymirth

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the "likes" and great comments
Hit a local school with my kids today and hit 15 clad pennies and 4 dimes but the best part was being able to guess correctly on what I was going to dig. Coin or garbage on 80% of the hits

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you hit the golden goodies you won't mind digging the trash as much ;)

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You need to cut through and remove all the bull**** to reach the old layers. This is a chapter of many success stories that gets left out.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mindset is to be outside swinging! I purposefully avoid the clad-heavy areas in favor of getting permissions to older homes and sites. And don't get me wrong, I love the older coins that I find, but I really like the relics that cause me to do research and learn something new. I agree with CTwoods. Your 350 would have found most, if not all the items I've uncovered. I purchased the AT Pro because it is waterproof, allowing me to hunt the streams and rivers that I find around some of my sites. Good luck!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
It took me a few months to find my first silver coin, the IHC came shortly there after, at the same site.

I had a starter machine for a couple of months, then went to the AT Pro... within a month of the switch, I started finding what I was looking for... silver coins. Here is the deal, you HAVE to hunt the RIGHT places. The old farm house should be good, if it hasn't been cleaned out by other MDers. Sometimes you have to spend several hours at a place to get it to give up something good. Keep after it, dig all repeatable higher signals, and sooner or later, it will happen.

Best of luck, and remember to have fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread