Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A friend of mine is the caretaker at a local Carmelite monastery and I'm getting him into detecting. View attachment 1318643 it's a very large property, the buildings were put up in the late 50s . We hit a few outlying areas, an old well, View attachment 1318644 must've had a building around it cause we found an ample supply of nails. Also an outdoor altar, I forget which Saint, View attachment 1318647 View attachment 1318648 outdoor services were held there at one time but not anymore. Most of our finds were in the yard in front of the altar, View attachment 1318653 View attachment 1318654 View attachment 1318655 the broken pieces are bronze and appear to have been a votive or something that was forgotten and then ground up by the mower. Part of a brass petcock , a yellow tag that says Blossom time, air stem from a tractor tire, spent bullet, a grommet, and the one and only pull tab. These glass things are the reflectors from telephone poles, we found them all over in front of the altar. I found the cool soda bottle in the woods. More places to search. View attachment 1318658 View attachment 1318659 View attachment 1318660 View attachment 1318661

Upvote 10
OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
P.S. My buddy Tom found the only coin, 1922 penny , not much, but his very first coin. He's grooving ! He also found 5 more of those glass things.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you guys have a place to invest some time into. What was the land used for prior to becoming what it is today?

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you guys have a place to invest some time into. What was the land used for prior to becoming what it is today?

It was part of a really big farm, before that it was several small farms, and I guess before that it was log cabins and vegetable gardens. The coolest part is that access by the general public ( and their trash) has been extremely limited.

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a cool bottle!!

It's one I've never run into, " Sun Set Bottling Works " Tamecki & Sons, Mt. Carmel, Pa. I haven't looked it up yet.

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All blessed day and only one ( count em ) one , pull tab. With an honest - to - goodness Saint watching over us !

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those pics make it look serene and an enjoyable place to hunt. I hope you found a honey hole. Good Luck

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S. My buddy Tom found the only coin, 1922 penny , not much, but his very first coin. He's grooving ! He also found 5 more of those glass things.

1922 penny !!! Can we see it.....or are you talkin Canadian, eh?

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1922 penny !!! Can we see it.....or are you talkin Canadian, eh?

Ok, let me rephrase, I THINK it was 1922, didn't have my reading specs. Anyway, as soon as he dug it, he jumped into the golf cart and flew back to his house to show his wife and left it with her. She will be gone from cancer this year and Tom tries to distract her any way he can. I'm getting him into detecting to help distract him.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, let me rephrase, I THINK it was 1922, didn't have my reading specs. Anyway, as soon as he dug it, he jumped into the golf cart and flew back to his house to show his wife and left it with her. She will be gone from cancer this year and Tom tries to distract her any way he can. I'm getting him into detecting to help distract him.

A 1922 P would be a very rare find if that is what it was, I would get onto him to check it out before it goes in the change jar.

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will do that, as soon as he answers his phone.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you've got a great permission there! I'm sure you are going to find some pretty cool stuff. Keep us posted.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That place looks good to me. Hopefully, something nice will show up under the coil.

Best of luck to you sir!

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I hope so too ! Probably going there on Sat. I'm not religious but maybe I'll ask Tom if he can light a candle in front of that Saint. Sure couldn't hurt, right ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread