🥇 BANNER Found my DREAM BUTTON....then found three more!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting for seven years, I've dug a zillion buttons, many old Customs buttons. I have dreamed of digging a North West Mounted Police button since day one. Today it finally happened, and four of them! It's been a while since I had a dug item really stall my brain out and leave me slack jawed haha.

The NWMP formed in 1873 and existed with that title until 1903. In 1874 287 officers made the famous ride West through these parts. This is the outer fringes of the oldest of the old for my area. Not many officers, and for a relatively short time. The land owner told me he knows exactly where a small group of officers camped, not far from the farm where I found these buttons. Can't wait to check it out.

I just gently dry brushed them, no water. The image of the Buffalo face is really cool. Thanks for looking ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464500035.159118.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464500186.193700.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464500226.619153.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464500252.900507.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464500277.840084.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464532671.914453.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464532706.656289.jpg

**** I found another one early this morning, I'm updating a group shot of all five*** ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464553134.224303.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464742746.923485.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464742793.477953.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464742821.558918.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 89
OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill_wabo, treblehunter, and UNC_, thanks a lot guys!

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you bud. I have a pile of those buttons from years back, some of the brass helmet spikes, chin strap chains etc. I even found an engraved brass oval plate for a saddle horn from a N.W.M.P. officers saddle. Funny, the longer I"m around this site the more I realize that I should have been posting things up, if they are hitting the banner, lol ! Now start radiusing out from the post site or whatever it was, and find the target practice range or burn pits. I have dug hundreds of 45-75 shell casings from the old Winchester 1876 lever action rifles, ringed slugs etc like that. Sometimes you also come across .57 Snider slugs (pretty common) and cases. You become very picky with what you keep after a while, lol. What I like best are the intact drops or misfires that were tossed. incidentally you tend to find women's brass sash clasps, old hotel tokens etc. at these sites as the local populace would come out and make a day of it, watching those strapping young lads at target practice, lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you bud. I have a pile of those buttons from years back, some of the brass helmet spikes, chin strap chains etc. I even found an engraved brass oval plate for a saddle horn from a N.W.M.P. officers saddle. Funny, the longer I"m around this site the more I realize that I should have been posting things up, if they are hitting the banner, lol ! Now start radiusing out from the post site or whatever it was, and find the target practice range or burn pits. I have dug hundreds of 45-75 shell casings from the old Winchester 1876 lever action rifles, ringed slugs etc like that. Sometimes you also come across .57 Snider slugs (pretty common) and cases. You become very picky with what you keep after a while, lol. What I like best are the intact drops or misfires that were tossed. incidentally you tend to find women's brass sash clasps, old hotel tokens etc. at these sites as the local populace would come out and make a day of it, watching those strapping young lads at target practice, lol.

Thanks, and it sounds like you have quite the collection! The helmet spikes and engraved plate sound really awesome. Your sites must have had much more activity than mine. As far as I know this was three or four officers that split off from the main group that camped at my site. Actually I believe I haven't found the exact site yet. I will poke around again next spring when the grass in manageable.

There were larger posts and camps in my area, but those spots have been strip mined and or flooded. It's depressing when I think how local much land with historic sites has been destroyed around here in the last 40 years.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey nice buttons. I have a pile of them. Same thing with the silver fur trade broaches I found. I had no idea that they were some type of banner find. Lol. Oh well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread