By Land and By Sea...Colonial Silver for ME (coin and more...and Confederate brass!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this memorial day weekend has been a series of "off-guards." Beautiful weather, then turns to a tropical storm that now calls for rain. Well Friday rolled around and the weather was warm and Sunday and Monday looked to be rainy so off I went to catch a low tide and try for another colonial silver coin from the depth!

I worked pretty hard where Dad's James II came from and put my chips pretty much all in there and also where the rings came from to no avail. I did manage another nice early pewter flower button. This one has a cool mold seam on the back as well! You could see I was trying hard by the small tacks and lead shot I was digging. I did manage another musket ball and another brass decorative item. Not bad for a nice afternoon visit to the murk.

Yesterday was a cookout and I still felt the itch to get out, so I was off by 6am this morning for a quick two hour hunt at a local wooded site that has produced some nice items for me over the years and boy am I glad that I did. Things started off a bit slow, but then quickly picked up. First I located a nice silver "thin" ring with a solid silver brass stud on it. This came from ground zero at the 1600's site that I've hunted over the years. Not sure exactly what it is, but man I swore I had a silver coin when I heard it. I then moved around a bit and dug a few pieces of pewter (pewter spoon and parts) before the sweat and bugs chased me back to the truck. On the way I dug a tombac button which caused me to slow down and make one more pass. Again, boy am I glad that I did...a few feet later and I dug a nice two piece button that I just knew was going to be Confederate. I've dug two Virginia buttons and a scrip I from this site over the years and only one eagle button. With the size and shape I just knew it was not going to be an eagle. Just a step later and I popped out an early and decorative pin. I first thought it might bee an officer bar or similar device, but not so sure. It is more 1840s-1860s in design and construction, so not colonial and likely affiliated with the troops that were there. Any ideas?

A few feet later and I heard a very distinct signal, scrateched the leaves back, took a little dirt off and BAM there she was a nice 1725 cut pistareen!

All in all it was not a bad morning or bad afternoon trip to the murk. I might be rained in the rest of the weekend and likely unable to make it out next week or weekend, so this was a good way to take a pause!

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    900.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    391.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    333.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    508.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    410.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 1f.jpg
    1f.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 1g.jpg
    1g.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    482.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    411.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    505.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    359.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    340 KB · Views: 145
  • 1n.JPG
    1n.JPG
    317.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 1o.JPG
    1o.JPG
    284.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 1p.JPG
    1p.JPG
    344.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 1q.JPG
    1q.JPG
    466 KB · Views: 146
  • 1r.JPG
    1r.JPG
    369.2 KB · Views: 135
Upvote 17
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice digs Dan. I like that crude silver ring. Too bad the soil wasn't kinder to that lined I, but a good find regardless. Glad you are still hunting.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Dan. I like that crude silver ring. Too bad the soil wasn't kinder to that lined I, but a good find regardless. Glad you are still hunting.

Thanks man. I didabout as good on CS buttons this year than Spanish silver...odd year to say the least. Wish the soil was better too but actually looks a little better in person

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cut silver is a bucket lister for many, congrats! What a site you have!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flower pewter is really nice, they stay preserved well underwater.
Congrats on the spanish, and other finds too, but the pewter is my personal favorite.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flower pewter is really nice, they stay preserved well underwater.
Congrats on the spanish, and other finds too, but the pewter is my personal favorite.
Thanks Rick, yea I do like how the pewter comes out of the water there. That being said, the Block I is the only lined block I that i've dug over the years (have dug other I's) but they are not as common as some may think, so I think I like that one a bit more. I've also dug a few of those beauty pewters...now if I can just get one of those rev war buttons in that condition...the regimental button's i've dug from the water at that site all came from a different hole and were not as protected by the clay layer.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds, man! A great confederate button, cut silver and more! Well done.

cheers,

buck

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds, man! A great confederate button, cut silver and more! Well done.

cheers,

buck
Thanks man! Check out the update thread I posted, the better find actually turned out to be the silver earring. You've been busy lately I see!

Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread