Hand Blown Shipwreck Bottle?

Hammer Stone

May 19, 2016
Deep Woods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 44yrs ago near the mouth of the St.Johns river. It was in a sand quarry near the river, close to a small cove. The site is just below Ribault Column where Jean Ribault erected a stone column bearing the coats of arms of his French King Charles IX to claim Florida for France. The Timicuanan Perserve and Ft.Caroline are very close to it.

A friend's big brother, a bottle collector used to take my friends and I digging at the site. I had a collection of 5 bottles similar to this one, along with some old Cureall bottles like the one called Swamp Root. I Had some arrow heads and enormous Sharks teeth. Well I sold 4 bottles at a bottle collectors show he took us to. They were like this one but had no seams. I lost everything else through many living arrangement moves.

He said it was a spirits bottle that was carried on the old ships, probally held wine, the top was hand blown. He seemed to be an experienced collecor with a huge collection of bottles.

Well I was unpacking an old box & found it today 44yrs later... suprise!

Do you think he was right about the bottle? Does it have any monetary value?

shipsbottle2.jpg shipsbottle5.jpg shipsbottle7.jpg shipsbottle8.jpg

Upvote 7

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is so cool! How much did you sell the bottles for?

OP
OP
Hammer Stone

Hammer Stone

May 19, 2016
Deep Woods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I got $100 bucks, that was a lot for a cash short 14yr old. I was pleased with the deal. The collector guy told me I should keep them but ca$h talks to a teenager lol.

OP
OP
Hammer Stone

Hammer Stone

May 19, 2016
Deep Woods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember spending most of the money on a new rod & reel & some tackle. Locals called the area Buck Island. Lots of great fishing days there.

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I noticed the bottle is round on the bottom. Do you have any idea why that is?

OP
OP
Hammer Stone

Hammer Stone

May 19, 2016
Deep Woods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm not completely sure but the "Collector Guy" said it had to do with the way they were stored and that they were corked as to not allow air/gas to escape.They were kept laid on their side to keep the cork wet. Something along that line.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN I HAD A COUPLE LIKE THAT AND, THERE IS ANOTHER STYLE CALLED TORPEDO.

OP
OP
Hammer Stone

Hammer Stone

May 19, 2016
Deep Woods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard of the torpedo bottles. I'll have to research that. I remember the Collector had several of them. They were a bit more rounded/streamlined.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No ...not wine
my father was a huge bottle collector - as a kid I read most of the books he had
it was most likely a mineral water bottle - here is one of the best sites out there for bottle identification
https://sha.org/bottle/soda.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread